How many pairs of headphones do you own?
Jun 10, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #123 of 212
42 headphones (some mid-fi, plenty of budget) 16 IEMs, 9 DAC/amps, 3 dedicated amps.  None of my DACs or amps are very expensive, includes a number of portables.

Rarely are they all in my possession as I tend to loan out headphones for in-office or in-home use.  K7XX is at my desk right now but only after I "stole" it after-hours from the co-worker who has been using it for the last few weeks, and did the same with the HE-400, he actually has had more head time with both than I have :D  ... Sennheiser HD 558 are more or less permanently parked with another co-worker, as are some of my Audio Technica's.

I love having plenty of choice, and I enjoy different sound signatures.

At home, I use my Alessandro MS2i a lot, and at work the Sennheiser HD 600 have been getting the most head time lately except for today I pulled out the Grado SR 325e cans.

Jun 10, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #124 of 212
  42 headphones (some mid-fi, plenty of budget) 16 IEMs, 9 DAC/amps, 3 dedicated amps.  None of my DACs or amps are very expensive, includes a number of portables.

Rarely are they all in my possession as I tend to loan out headphones for in-office or in-home use.  K7XX is at my desk right now but only after I "stole" it after-hours from the co-worker who has been using it for the last few weeks, and did the same with the HE-400, he actually has had more head time with both than I have :D  ... Sennheiser HD 558 are more or less permanently parked with another co-worker, as are some of my Audio Technica's.

I love having plenty of choice, and I enjoy different sound signatures.

At home, I use my Alessandro MS2i a lot, and at work the Sennheiser HD 600 have been getting the most head time lately except for today I pulled out the Grado SR 325e cans.

Agree with you on this, lucky for me I only loan out to my son (HE-560 and T1) at the moment, hope to get the T1 back soon while the HE-560 is his as a graduation gift a few years back.
Currently have 31 + 3 more from GF in the house, last picture I took of some:

Jun 10, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #125 of 212
  Agree with you on this, lucky for me I only loan out to my son (HE-560 and T1) at the moment, hope to get the T1 back soon while the HE-560 is his as a graduation gift a few years back.
Currently have 31 + 3 more from GF in the house, last picture I took of some:

Nice pic, looks like a happy headphone collection. :)

You loaned out two very nice headphones at the same time, but it's to your son, so I am sure it's fine. :)

Both of those (HE-560 and T1) are ones I definitely wouldn't mind owning at some point in the future, and occasionally when one of those comes up for sale in the classifieds here, I mull it over, but both are priced higher than any headphones I've ever purchased, so it's less likely to be an impulse buy than any of the headphones I currently own. :)

If I were to get the T1, it'd be the first gen since they are more affordable used than the 2nd gen.

Jun 10, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #126 of 212

Nice pic, looks like a happy headphone collection. :)

You loaned out two very nice headphones at the same time, but it's to your son, so I am sure it's fine. :)

Both of those (HE-560 and T1) are ones I definitely wouldn't mind owning at some point in the future, and occasionally when one of those comes up for sale in the classifieds here, I mull it over, but both are priced higher than any headphones I've ever purchased, so it's less likely to be an impulse buy than any of the headphones I currently own. :)

If I were to get the T1, it'd be the first gen since they are more affordable used than the 2nd gen.

I have the T1 gen1, I got it used for a really good price.  One thing to remember about better headphones is the rest of your audio chain needs to be able to drive them properly so also take that into consideration when buying.  As an example, when I first got the HD-800 it didn't sound great with the Ember or Lyr2 amps that I had, only after building the BH Crack and getting better tubes did the HD-800 sound like the great headphone that many consider it to be.  Same with the HE-560 and T1, HE-560 loves an amp with power like the Lyr2 with good NOS tubes, while the T1 is another that sounds divine on the BH Crack.

Good luck and as others have told me, sorry for your wallet.

Jun 14, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #127 of 212
Here's what I have currently:

PSB M4U 2 (white)
PSB M4U 2 (black)
NAD Viso HP50 (black)

I really like the M4U 2's however they were not that great to use while commuting. That's why I ended up buying the NAD Viso HP50s. They sound great and are pretty lightweight in comparison.

Jun 14, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #129 of 212
wow, a fun thread here.

i'm a newbie to audio (now 6 mo) but am trying to 'ramp up' fast.

cans: sony mdr7520 closed monitors...i have velour pads arriving this week
which i've heard enhances the sound...(otherwise the plether gets hot fast)
  and senn hd650....just started these senns...miss the punchy dynamism of the sonys (at least right now)
am experimenting with different amps/dacs.

Jun 15, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #134 of 212
Favorite vintage?

My vintage favorites include my MP/EP Sextetts , K340(modded heavy) and Pioneer Moniter 10.

Nice, I really want to get my hands on some vintage akgs.

The monitor 10s do sound and look pretty good, I think based on looks my favourite would be my pioneer se l40, pioneer made some good looking 'phones!

Soundwise it'd probably be my stax gamma pros because... Stax!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back