How many of you started off with Sony phones before you knew about Head-Fi?
Oct 25, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #31 of 49
I had a pair of "audiophile" MDR-V900's for a while before I found out about head-fi. I enjoyed them, but of course now I realize how unrealistic and colored they sound. However, I thought they were built very well and worked great as gaming headphones.

Oct 25, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #32 of 49
"Raises hand"

1983, I bought some white sony portable cans for my walkman. 2001 I bought an MDRV6, overall good investment, even though I sold them. ~2003 I bought an MDR-EX51 and regretted it whole-heartedly. Registered on head-fi in 2004.

Oct 25, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #33 of 49
Me!
Had some sony headphones in the mid 80's, matched up with those yellow Sony Walkmans.

Oct 25, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #34 of 49
i had sony earbuds (ex70) and a pair of 22 eggos. thought they did perfectly fine...until i tried a pair of grado sr80s. not hatin' on the entire sony line since the top-line sonys are very good...just that the low-end sonys were not very good IMO.

Oct 25, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #35 of 49
The fontopia headphone line (ex-51 and 71) got me into high end audio. I remember getting them at the time and thinking that a) $40 was really a ton of cash for headphones and b) that they sounded like the best thing ever.

Oh how times changes.

Oct 25, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #36 of 49
I bought the Sony Altus MDR-D777 as my first "high end" headphone, even though they're not really high end. It was the lack of low end, but nice sounding mids and highs that got me started in the whole audiophile business. I returned them, though, and I've bought a couple more headphones, then returned them later as well, until I found my way at Head-Fi in search for better headphones.
600smile.gif

Oct 25, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #38 of 49
When I started with MP3 players I bought a 10.00 pair of sony MDR-J10. I hated how the buds felt in my ears and needed something more comfortable but they sounded horrible , then I found this place and that was the end of cheap phones.

Oct 25, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #39 of 49
o/

I had some basic Sony MDR-EX71.

When I first came to this forum, I tried to figure out Sennheiser HD555.

I think coming to this forum was my biggest mistake ever.

At least now I have "proper" HP's
smily_headphones1.gif

Denon AH-D2000 (Waiting for APureSound V3 cable)
Corda Opera (should have soon
smily_headphones1.gif

Auzen X-FI Prelude 7.1

Ordering soon:
Signal Cable Magic Power Digital Reference
Signal Cable Silver Resolution Reference Silver Mini Interconnect with silver bullets

Seriously considering:
iPod Classic 160G
Systems and magick MiniBlack
( http://www.systemsandmagic.com/index...niblack_en.htm )

Oct 25, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #40 of 49
I got a pair of MDR-CD180 in eighth grade, seven years ago then I got those Sony clip ons that came with silver and green faceplates. Then those broke so I got the newer version of the clip ons with silver and blue faceplates and better designed clips. I used those with my Sony Discman. Then I got my first iPod and bought a pair of EX71's. The cable on them got tangled way too easily and plus the rubber insulation started to fray, so I picked up a pair of Shure E3c. Had those for a year or two and then I guess the nozzle got messed up so I sent those in for RMA (got back a pair of SCL3), joined Head-Fi, and bought a pair of UE super.fi 5 Pros. Helped my girlfriend pick out a pair of UE super.fi 3. That's where I sit now. I just tried my father's older Grado 225s and I am thinking about getting some nice cans next.

Oct 26, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #43 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Started off easy with the buds supplied with the Sony DD9 Quartz walkman.
Moved onto MDR-M66s and soon after, the M88s. Next were cd777s and then the cd999s. A bit of a hiatus and next were EX71s and a pair of V700DJs.
And along a journey that encompasses a Grado RS1, GS1000, BeyerDT990, Senn HD25-1, Shure E3c, I still have a Sony SA5000 as one of my favourites.
Hopefully, I many be lucky enough to end up with an R10 sometime in the future.

A question to the OP, Do you think people move away from Sony once they discover 'audiophile' quality headphone sound?
I can't help but think you are insinuating that Sonys are of a sub-par quality?

No I wasn't trying to say that Sony's are subpar headphones. There are very good quality ones like the qualias, however a majority of them do not warrant the price when you can certainly get better headphones within the same price range. I guess I asked this question because when I bought my first set of headphones they were sony's, which was very mainstream and easily attainable back then. I couldn't think of any other headphones that were as popular as Sony headphones back then, especially the clip on models and the one that had the headband that went behind the neck. So I was just thinking that it would make sense that anyone who hadn't been introduced to head-fi would go for something cheap and mainstream, which is Sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back