How many of you started off with Sony phones before you knew about Head-Fi?
Oct 25, 2007 at 5:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

johnanderson

100+ Head-Fier
I certainly did. $20 at the local best buy. Did some reading on here after I bought them and found out the drivers were the same as the free ones they included with their cd players
biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #2 of 49
I did, $15 at Target. At least I never went through the iBud phase though. When I got my iPod I tried them once and threw them away, as bad as the Sony headphones were the iBuds were far far worse.

Oct 25, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #3 of 49
i had sony phones becuase they had lowest impedance, meaning that i could listen to my minidisc nice and loud, becuase of having ADHD, any outside noise distracts me from the music, so i hate anything open, if i used buds, they had to be nice and loud,

untill i picked up a pair of CX300´s, and then everything went quiet, then i joined head-fi while researching the mylarone X3,

Oct 25, 2007 at 6:23 AM Post #4 of 49
I did... and they were great!

At least then, 15 years ago... and I paid like $30 for them and that was A LOT of money for me at that time. And it was a great upgrade over the buds that came with my Aiwa cassette player.

Is there any page containing the full range of old Sony phones? They are gone now, but I would like to remember the model.

Oct 25, 2007 at 6:35 AM Post #5 of 49
For the longest time I listened to Sony MDR-V6s. Not bad for the price. Now I listen to Qualias! (Head-fi will do that to you.)

Oct 25, 2007 at 7:47 AM Post #7 of 49
Nope. game boy ear-buds that came with it in a set when I was very little. I think I still have them!

All I know is that they were hella durable and that's it. Nothing on sound. So now, I go find them to listen for old-time's sake :)

Oct 25, 2007 at 7:47 AM Post #8 of 49
well I kind of started off with sony phones because of head-fi. When I was browsing head-fi and headwize back then the mdr-v6 were FOTM so I ended up buying them. They served me well for awhile tho, I think for their time they were great it's just now there are way too many superior alternatives.

Oct 25, 2007 at 7:56 AM Post #9 of 49
my first pair of buds were a pair of white sony EX71LPs, they sounded great until the insulation began to fray due to friction and my right channel died. That was before i read about these issues on the forums... now I use MS-1s with comfies

Oct 25, 2007 at 9:15 AM Post #13 of 49
I bought 3 ex91's before my ck7. Then it's all uphill from then.

Oct 25, 2007 at 9:41 AM Post #14 of 49
Started off easy with the buds supplied with the Sony DD9 Quartz walkman.
Moved onto MDR-M66s and soon after, the M88s. Next were cd777s and then the cd999s. A bit of a hiatus and next were EX71s and a pair of V700DJs.
And along a journey that encompasses a Grado RS1, GS1000, BeyerDT990, Senn HD25-1, Shure E3c, I still have a Sony SA5000 as one of my favourites.
Hopefully, I many be lucky enough to end up with an R10 sometime in the future.

A question to the OP, Do you think people move away from Sony once they discover 'audiophile' quality headphone sound?
I can't help but think you are insinuating that Sonys are of a sub-par quality?

Oct 25, 2007 at 9:48 AM Post #15 of 49
I used sony clip-ons, I went through like 3 pairs (kept breaking), then I heard about sennheiser through Newegg, picked up a PMX200, and then I learned about head-fi through association, and the rest is history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back