How many of you play an instrument?
Aug 16, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #47 of 99
I've played cello for about 8 years and guitar for a little over half a year now. My school's orchestra played at Carnegie Hall this June, and Donald Trump dropped in on our performance @ the IBM atrium.

Donald%20Trump%20watches%20the%20Valley%20students%20perform%20in%20the%20IBM%20Atrium.jpg

My case is the brown one in the far back.
biggrin.gif

Aug 16, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #48 of 99
I've been playing guitar since I was 14, so about 11 years.

I was a percussionist throughout high school, playing snare on the drumline. Played snare for two summers in drum corps, and five years in college.

I mess around with they keys every once in a while.

Aug 16, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #49 of 99
I've been teaching myself guitar for about 9 months so far. It's coming slowly, but I do enjoy it.

Aug 17, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #51 of 99
I actually have access to 2 keyboards, a ukulele, and a few guitars.

Right now I'm dedicating myself to learning to play my classical guitar, but I just have so little free time to practice it's not going anywhere very fast.
biggrin.gif

Aug 17, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #52 of 99
Serious Instruments:
Percussion (Focus mainly on drum set, mallets (vibes/marimba), and tabla (Indian kettle drum))
Harmonica (I usually just stick with my special-made C-diatonic, which features an additional half-octave both higher and lower than a normal Hohner)
Laptop (Mostly self-coded SuperCollider interfaces and some analog manipulation along with that)
Clarinet
Sitar

Things I can play but don't perform with:
Saxophone (I have an alto and a baritone)
Congas, bongos, djembe
Bass
Piano

Aug 17, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #53 of 99
I used to be a drummer...does that count?

Think I could just about hold a 4/4 together these days
biggrin.gif

Damn wrists have stiffened up! And as for independance...lol.

Aug 17, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #54 of 99
piano 4 years, classical guitar 14 years, electric guitar 3 years, drums&bass both 1/2 years.

Aug 17, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #55 of 99
Played cello for about 4 years now, and we have a piano which I am still working on getting used to the clef and fingering style (stupid thumb)

I would like to learn, violin, viola, guitar, bass (upright and guitar)

I would also like to try my hand at making some electronica music sometime

Aug 17, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #56 of 99
Played piano for many years when I was really young (started when I was like 4 or something). I got pretty good by the time I stopped (about 13 or so) taking lessons for it. After that I pretty much just stopped playing, and my skills were gone. I was never great at it, but I could play some really nice rare classical pieces (still know the majority of one of them fairly well).

Years later I picked up the guitar and took lessons for a bit to learn basics. I play guitar quite frequently, but don't really learn too much. I mostly do my own thing, occasionally picking up a tab, but mostly song writing, with fairly simple riffs, sometimes with a bit of singing (but my voice is a little lacking). I'd probably be a lot better at guitar if I structure my playing a little more to learn, rather than just enjoy myself, but I kind of prefer doing what I do.

I wouldn't call what I do practicing, I'd called it playing, and I play quite regularly (maybe average an hour a night or so). When I am not in school or working I play a lot of guitar, but when I get off an 8 hour work day, or finish a day of classes and then have to study or do work, I typically just don't have enough energy to have an extended jam session, so I just play for an hour or so.

Aug 17, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #57 of 99
I guess pretty well everyone can claim to play an instrument at some level because in school in Canada we all had to learn how to play the recorder. When I went to school in England they started teaching us musical instruments at a very young age. I started with the triangle, very hard instrument to learn that.
wink.gif
Besides my previous posts about guitars and bass guitars I also took drum lessons when I was 14 but never got around to buying a drum kit so it didn't go too far. I was pretty good at doing drum rolls on my practice pad though and we had to learn how to hold the sticks in the proper classical way, unlike a lot of rock drummers I see. Lots of rock drummers hold their sticks like they have bad table manners holding a knife and fork. No big deal as it's what you can do with the sticks that is more important but the classical method does help with speed and finesse.

Mar 5, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #59 of 99
Played trumpet from 4th grade until the end of freshman year. Now I play guitar, and I love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back