how many of you guys cook???
Nov 24, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #1,861 of 3,876
^ OMG. I miss a really good WIENER SCHNITZEL. And that looks like a really good wiener schnitzel. Yum.

Nov 29, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #1,862 of 3,876
Love to cook- a little effort patience and use someone else's recipes as a starting point, buy a good knife and saucepan and anyone can be a culinary star at home (be sure to make notes on anything you make that really rocks so you can consistently reproduce it in the future). Do not be intimidated and enjoy it! Be warned though- you may soon be the primary chef for all family and friend events...

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #1,863 of 3,876
I always mess up somehow if I stray from the instructions, but I cook well if I don't! :D

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #1,864 of 3,876
A scoop of pumpkin whiskey pudding next to a scoop of coffee ice cream.

Nov 30, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #1,866 of 3,876
Not strictly cooking, but I finally got something from the El Guapo cart on campus. It was the best freakin' burrito I've ever eaten. It had chicken, chorizo, rice, black beans, coleslaw, salsa, cheese, jalapeno slices, and was supposed to have guacamole but they were out. The thing was huge. Over a pound easily. I piled in some of the hot sauce they had on hand and found a spot to enjoy my new treasure.

I now have to try and create this on my own. It's going to be tough, not knowing what sort of seasonings they used in the rice and chicken, but I'm sure I can make something comparable. It beats the heck out of anything frozen I've ever eaten, anything that came from a Taco Bell or Del Taco, and, honestly, anything I've ever eaten in a restaurant.

Nov 30, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #1,868 of 3,876
Any of you guys make a Pan Bagnat sandwich?  Saw an old Elton Brown Good Eats show on Youtube and now I feel like I must make one.

Video on this page: http://www.foodnetwork.com/tuna-baguette/video/index.html

Ingredients

1. 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
  2. 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  3. 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  4. 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  5. 3 tablespoons olive oil
  6. 1 baguette, approximately 16 to 18 inches long
  7. 12 ounces canned tuna packed in oil or water, drained and crumbled
  8. 1 small green pepper, sliced into rings
  9. 1 small red onion, sliced into rings
  10. 2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
  11. 1 cup chopped kalamata olives
  12. 1 tomato, thinly sliced

Directions

In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the red wine vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper. While continuing to whisk, gradually add the olive oil. Whisk until an emulsion forms. Set aside.

Slice the baguette horizontally into 2 pieces. Tear out some of the soft bread in the center of each side, making a slight well in the bread. Place the tuna, green pepper, red onion, hard-boiled eggs, olives, and tomato on the bottom side of the bread in that order. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the vegetables, top with the second piece of bread, and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Let stand at room temperature for 2 hours before serving.

Cut into 4 sandwiches and serve.

Dec 1, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #1,869 of 3,876
^ Yummy!

Duck sous vide with hoisin sauce and Hunan chili oil and paste.

Dec 1, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #1,870 of 3,876
Quote:
Not strictly cooking, but I finally got something from the El Guapo cart on campus. It was the best freakin' burrito I've ever eaten. It had chicken, chorizo, rice, black beans, coleslaw, salsa, cheese, jalapeno slices, and was supposed to have guacamole but they were out. The thing was huge. Over a pound easily. I piled in some of the hot sauce they had on hand and found a spot to enjoy my new treasure.

I now have to try and create this on my own. It's going to be tough, not knowing what sort of seasonings they used in the rice and chicken, but I'm sure I can make something comparable. It beats the heck out of anything frozen I've ever eaten, anything that came from a Taco Bell or Del Taco, and, honestly, anything I've ever eaten in a restaurant.

There's a taqueria in Boston called El Pelon and they've got the best Mexican food I've ever eaten.  Blows Ana's, Chipotle, and Qdoba out of the water... it would be a crime to even compare it to Taco Bell.  I always get the El Guapo burrito whenever I take a trip out there, as well as a couple of steak tacos (these come with pickled cabbage and cucumbers).  The El Guapo has grilled steak, Mexican rice, black beans, fried plantains (these really make it awesome), jack cheese, fire-roasted salsa, romaine lettuce, and sour cream.  I can't recommend it enough if you're in the area.

Dec 1, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #1,871 of 3,876
Quote:
^ Yummy!

Duck sous vide with hoisin sauce and Hunan chili oil and paste.

Looks fantastic!

How does the fat taste like as it is not crispy being cooked like this?

Dec 2, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #1,873 of 3,876
That looks super good Clayton!  

I wanted to make the Pan Bagnat, but settled (hardly) on a grass fed brisket sandwich with a few of the items from the other sandwich to get me by.

Brisket, green pepper and red onion rings, provolone/mozzarella mix cheese, and their hot habanero sawse.

Woo hoo, it was good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back