how many of you guys cook???
Nov 4, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #1,771 of 3,876
Yes, the TSM is a beauty.

Are you using a family recipe and have you done this before?

I've made quick pickles but not the fermented kind. I'd like to start though, using the fermenting method. Good for the gut I hear.

Nov 5, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #1,773 of 3,876
Quote:

Working with shortening is so much better.  My grandma makes a shortening-based banana cookie (I've made them many times too) that's out of this world.  Shortening is much more rich in taste compared to butter.  I'm too impatient to wait for butter to come to room temp. anyways.  For some reason, I think of people who use butter in crusts to be lazy.

Another thing, I rarely ever grease the dishes.  I'm sure it has a lot to do with the shortening, but I've never had a problem with crusts sticking.

I don't think I've seen that statement before.  Butter is generally desired for richness and flavor, but shortening is easier to work with and store and makes for a more tender pie crust.  To be honest, I've never made anything with shortening, and will avoid recipes that don't use only butter.  I love me my butter. 

Nov 5, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #1,775 of 3,876
Quote:
I love me my butter. 

Butter up that bacon!

beerchug.gif

Nov 5, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #1,778 of 3,876
Quote:
I have been complimented on my Ramen making skills.
I can even make them taste like they are buttered without adding anything other than the spice. Skills
wink.gif

I make a mean Ramen. Of course that involves extra ingredients for me, though. I add mushrooms, water chestnuts, bean sprouts, and chopped green onion (the last two right before serving so as to keep them crisp). I also add a little low sodium soy and a few spurts of Maggi (I use this stuff in everything), as well as some hot chili oil (basically sesame with some cayenne infused in it) when I feel like it. This works with either the beef or oriental flavors. Adding a few shrimp makes this the perfect meal.

Quote:

Butter up that bacon!

beerchug.gif

Mmm...buttery bacon. I've never thought to mix those two things together...until now!

Nov 5, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #1,781 of 3,876
Sriracha buttery bacon popcorn!

Wait!  Sriracha buttery bacon wrapped shrimp!

Put 'em together Sriracha buttery bacon wrapped popcorn shrimp!

Nov 5, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #1,783 of 3,876
I like to crack and egg or two into my chicken flavored ramen.
If you guys have not tried it... You MUST!
Cheap and yummy!

Nov 5, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #1,785 of 3,876
Quote:
I have heard about that, to make egg drop right?
Can you share the method because I would love to try it

You can make it kinda runny & similar to 'egg drop' soup.
I make mine thick.

My process:
1) Get a small-medium sized pot.
2) Place the Ramen in the bottom of the pot and then fill the pot with water. Fill the water up just slightly past the Ramen, I use very little water.
3) Cook the Ramen for 2 minutes, crack the egg into the boiling water and pour in the flavor packet.
4) Cook Ramen & Egg 2 more minutes, and then take the pot off the burner and let it sit on the stove for 5 minutes. (The extra 5 minutes of sitting allows the remaining water to evaporate and gives the meal time to cool down.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back