how many of you guys cook???
Nov 9, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #1,801 of 3,876
Prepare this meal for your significant other and ready up for a spine tingling,toe curling supper.

Fresh Pork Belly:

Dry rub on the meat side.Score the rind,rub with oil and salt for perfect crackling:

Served with roasted brussel sprouts,apples and sweet onions.Dressed with salt,pepper,juice and zest of one lemon:

Nov 9, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #1,804 of 3,876
^ gimme gimme the recipe, please. That looks so cracklin' good. I love it with a splash of vinegar and black pepper.

Nov 9, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #1,805 of 3,876
^the recipe, please

Recipe by Chef Paul Mercurio

Ingredients

1.5 kilo pork belly

1 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons of olive oil

1 teaspoon celery salt (I used celery seeds)

1 teaspoon fennel powder (I used ground dill)

1 teaspoon chili powder

1 teaspoon garlic powder

½ teaspoon black pepper

1 teaspoon cumin powder

½ teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon paprika

Method

Pre heat oven to 450F (I went closer to 500F)

In a large baking tray that will hold the pork,place the pork belly skin side up in the tray on a rack.
Using a serrated knife or a Stanley knife (box cutter) score the pork belly well.
Pour the olive oil over the skin and then rub the teaspoon of salt into the skin.
Turn the belly over so the skin is down on the rack.
In a mixing bowl combine the rest of the ingredients and rub into the meat of the pork belly – do not rub it on the skin nor do you oil the meat.
Make sure the meat is well coated with the spice rub.
Use a paper towel to wipe any excess spice rub off the baking tray and then place the tray into the hot oven.

Cook for half an hour then turn the heat down to 290-300F and cook for another 1 ½ hours.
Turn the pork belly over so the skin is up,turn the oven back up to 450F and cook for 20 – 30 minutes or until the skin is super crispy.
I lined the tray with foil and emptied the rendered oil out before turning up the heat to finish.
If you must finish under a broiler,keep a close eye on it so it doesn't burn.

Cut into 4cm squares.I cut it skin side down,so you can press a knife through the crisp rind.

This is addictive and it is very tempting to just eat on its own,however it goes great with a rice salad or potato salad along with a cold beer!

Serves 4 as a main 8 as an entree.
(nope,I ate all of it myself)

Nov 9, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #1,806 of 3,876
Leftovers:

Filet of baked wild Alaskan Sockeye salmon, plus leftover veggie stir-fry, re-heated somewhat (fish added late) together in the oven with some Chablis wine, garnished with various condiment sauces, sunflower seeds, and cilantro

Inotherwords Asian baked pasta :D

Nov 11, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #1,807 of 3,876
Quote:
Leftovers:
Filet of baked wild Alaskan Sockeye salmon, plus leftover veggie stir-fry, re-heated somewhat (fish added late) together in the oven with some Chablis wine, garnished with various condiment sauces, sunflower seeds, and cilantro

Inotherwords Asian baked pasta
biggrin.gif

grokit, that looks incredible. I just ate some tomato beef, General Cho's chicken combo at my favorite Chinese restaurant--Bamboo. I got lazy. I've known the owner, Eddie, forever. Great guy. He's Chinese, married a Mexican woman. He speaks fluent Chinese, Spanish, and English and so do his kids.

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #1,808 of 3,876
I keep coming back to look at the pictures of the pork belly crispies.  
biggrin.gif

Check these out!

I crunched a bunch up and put em on top of a burger. It made sense at the time.  

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #1,809 of 3,876
Quote:
I keep coming back to look at the pictures of the pork belly crispies.  
biggrin.gif

Check these out!
I crunched a bunch up and put em on top of a burger. It made sense at the time.  

Perhaps I should have crunched a bunch on top of my tomato beef dish.

Nov 11, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #1,811 of 3,876
Nov 15, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #1,814 of 3,876
Quote:
I made Sriracha Mac n' Cheese on Thursday but didn't take any pictures.

There's a food truck that parks outside the undergraduate library on my campus that sells that. I'm not even kidding. It's called the Mac Shack. That spot is actually pretty popular. Last year there was a truck called El Guapo that (predictably) sold Mexican food, and I've seen them around this year as well, but lately they seem to have lost the real estate battle to the Shack. Either that or they take it in turns and I'm just not on campus on the right days.

Pity I haven't tried any of it yet. There's a Jimmy John's on campus that gets most of my business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back