how many of you guys cook???
Feb 15, 2011 at 6:06 AM Post #856 of 3,876
Yes, last time I had some fresh rosemary and cooked the potatoes with it, also cooked it in vegetable bouillon (broth) in stead of salted water.
Didn't have any mushrooms, but I caramalized some onions and added those. Also some fresh parsley.

We liked it. Next time, I'll get some fresh dill, do something with a nice fish with the rest of the dill.

Feb 16, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #857 of 3,876
Last week's major cooking project was twelve quarts of spicey Moroccan lentil soup with mint and sumac.  Cooked half the lentils in vegetable broth with S&P, ginger, saffron, cayenne, flaked pepper, hot mustard, tumeric, nutmeg, cinnamon and other stuff in my pressure cooker and then pureed it with the immersion blender.  Started the other half with a whole seed cumin tadke in EVOO, then minced garlic, cooked crumbled bacon, chopped onions, carrots, celery (with beautiful folliage), green pepper, drained diced tomatoes and tomato paste.  Deglazed the pan with chicken stock before adding the pureed cooked lentils and the soaked raw lentils and more chicken stock.  My big advance this cooking season has been to do the long simmer on soups and sauces dutch oven style in a 300F oven.  The soup, with sour cream and fresh cilantro garnish and fresh Ukranian rye bread on the side was really good.  Did I mention the obligatory glass of cab. :)
biggrin.gif

Today, I'm working on a rolled pork roast.  Heading up to prepare the marinade/glaze and get it all rubbed in.  Then brown and braise in my big oval french oven to juicy fall-apart succulentness.  To be served with oven roasted root vegetables (russet potatoes, parsnips, carrots, turnips) in EVOO and rosemary.  Maybe some steamed, dressed pea pods.  And another glass of you-know-what.

Beer braised rolled pork roast with herbed/spiced mustard marinade with savory cranberry chutney, oven roasted root vegetables with rosemary and a glass of cab. 
beerchug.gif

Feb 16, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #858 of 3,876
Sounds awesome as usual, Old Pa!

I never thought of lentils as needing a pressure-cooker or even pre-soaking, but I can see the pre-soaking being valuable if you are going to sautee them before cooking.

I will have to try the simmer-the-soup/stew in an oven technique sometime 
smile.gif

Feb 17, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #859 of 3,876

Turkey Penne

Feb 20, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #862 of 3,876
Did some cooking tonight for a few friends:

- Individual sea bream in salt crust with stewed fennels on the side (three fennels cut very small, a lot of olive oil, plenty of garlic, the juice of one lemon, some pepper and salt, stewed for two hours at medium fire  and mixed just before serving... wonderful with fish);
- Caramelized pears slices topped with "bleu" cheese, salad with a Balsamic vinegar sauce (you reduce some Balsamic vinegar with liquid honey and some brown sugar. When it gets near to a caramel, you soften with a few spoons of olive oil).
- Mango Tarte tatin, with pear's bits mixed into the caramel.

The friends provided for the wines. Small producer's white wine for the fish and a wonderful Saint Julien for the salad. An average Tokay for the pie.

Feb 20, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #863 of 3,876
Cooked some chicken piccata tonight:

Three notes:

1) I'm a big fan of capers.
2) This time I used white wine instead of chicken stock (that's why the sauce is a bit lighter in color)... next time I'll do a mixture of white wine/chicken stock to even the flavor out a bit.
3) Excellent as usual.
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 21, 2011 at 8:21 AM Post #865 of 3,876
I made the best pot roast ever last night. I thoroughly seared a chuck roast (kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper), and added a large onion, cut in eighths. Browned the onion while the meat was finishing, removed the meat and added a large clove of fresh garlic, chopped, and a tablespoon of tomato paste. I then sprinkled couple tablespoons of flour over the onions, and stirred until the flour was cooked. I returned the meat to the dutch oven and added a bottle of Pipeline Porter (Porter made with Kona coffee) and some beef stock. A couple bay leaves and some thyme, then into the oven at 350F for 1.5 hours. Added some carrots, and returned to the oven for 45 minutes. Served with mashed potatoes and peas.

Results: Awesome! The gravy was rich and just the right consistency from the flour. There was a hint of sweetness from the porter, (as well as the onions and carrots) without the bitterness that can sometimes come from using Guinness. I think the fact that I seared the meat to a deep brown, on all sides, helped a lot. From now on, porter is my go-to beer for dishes like this.

Feb 22, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #868 of 3,876
Quote:
I made the best pot roast ever last night. I thoroughly seared a chuck roast (kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper), and added a large onion, cut in eighths. Browned the onion while the meat was finishing, removed the meat and added a large clove of fresh garlic, chopped, and a tablespoon of tomato paste. I then sprinkled couple tablespoons of flour over the onions, and stirred until the flour was cooked. I returned the meat to the dutch oven and added a bottle of Pipeline Porter (Porter made with Kona coffee) and some beef stock. A couple bay leaves and some thyme, then into the oven at 350F for 1.5 hours. Added some carrots, and returned to the oven for 45 minutes. Served with mashed potatoes and peas.

Results: Awesome! The gravy was rich and just the right consistency from the flour. There was a hint of sweetness from the porter, (as well as the onions and carrots) without the bitterness that can sometimes come from using Guinness. I think the fact that I seared the meat to a deep brown, on all sides, helped a lot. From now on, porter is my go-to beer for dishes like this.

Sounds awesome lol pretty hungry right now too
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #869 of 3,876
I currently have pork chops in the oven that were marinaded in bulgogi, soy, teryaki, and hoisin sauces then given a sprinkle of Chinese five spice blend. To top it off, it was all covered in bacon in the same sauce. I wonder how it will turn out. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back