how many of you guys cook???
Jul 24, 2009 at 12:02 PM Post #91 of 3,876
Smothered pork chops with andouille sausage and potatoes simmer in Guiness and chicken broth in my old cast iron five quart dutch oven:

3567367856_0c05206cd8_b.jpg

Jul 24, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #92 of 3,876
I like baking as well as making ice cream, I find it relaxing. I'm adept at making pizza as well, but this is only a result of not having any good pizza places in my area. I can make other things as well, like steak, but I don't really like the cleanup with meat products.

Right now I'm planning for a Kouign Amann. I tried it once a couple weeks ago and screwed up horribly, but I think I can get it down the second time.

Jul 24, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #93 of 3,876
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Smothered pork chops with andouille sausage and potatoes simmer in Guiness and chicken broth in my old cast iron five quart dutch oven:

Give up that recipe and nobody gets hurt.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 24, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #95 of 3,876
If you want a good way to keep recipes on standby and easily recalled (plus you have an iPhone) then get the epicurious ap. It will even make you a shopping list based on the recipes you want to cook (really handy). You can search for recipes based upon a plethora of criterion; from main ingredient, meal/course, cuisine, dietary consideration, dish type, or season/occasion (you can include multiple criterions in your searches).

Its certainly simplified my recipe hunting =D

Jul 25, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #100 of 3,876
I believe in doing my part to keep the restaurant industry alive and prosperous.

Otherwise, I can generally just manage to keep myself alive with meals generally consisting of pasta and some sort of sauce, or bread and some sort and meat. When I'm really feeling adventurous, I go wild and put some sort of meat in the sauce, then pour it over the pasta and eat it with bread.

Jul 25, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #101 of 3,876
I make maybe half to three quarters of the food I eat. I'm partial to soups, grains, and noodles. I'll see if I can find the right cable, and maybe get a pic or two up (non-standard mini-USB on camera).

Just today, I made miso soup with shiitake, green onions, and herring [size=xx-small](canned carnivorous fish is handy to have when lazy)[/size], for breakfast...kelp-free broth, though*. I'm thinking of mini shells in a white sauce or tomato-cream sauce to meet the sun with.

[size=xx-small]* I ordered konbu, and couldn't tell it was Wel-pac from the store's pic. Sure enough, it cost >90% what the fancy shmancy stuff does, and had what seemed to be bird droppings dried into it (the aroma was obvious once it started soaking), rather than being fairly clean. KAME may not generally be amazing, but Wel-pac never seems to disappoint.[/size]

Jul 25, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #103 of 3,876
Quote:

Originally Posted by spookygonk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Any chance of this recipe, please?

Of course. Here ya go!

Quote:

Originally Posted by

Jul 25, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #104 of 3,876
Old Pa: Looks delicious. Have you thought about using a pizza stone? I love mine and find that they work much better than the metal holed pizza sheets.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3753923796_6d7b5c7a27_b.jpg

Jul 26, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #105 of 3,876
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Old Pa: Looks delicious. Have you thought about using a pizza stone? I love mine and find that they work much better than the metal holed pizza sheets.

That's a non-stick Cuisinart pan that I chose after comparison with stones and their hassle. The real trick seems to be the four minute pre-bake of the crust before it is loaded. That and the Pa's secret ingredients and preparation.
smily_headphones1.gif
It's been an evolved thing. SWMBO and I think it produces the best crispy cracker thin crust we have ever had anywhere. YMMV.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back