how many of you guys cook???
Aug 20, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #121 of 3,876
I was a cook for quite some time in my younger years and still love to try something that piques my intrest....i don't do dishes...i always had dishwashers for that. My kids always would rather eat a meal cooked by me than my wife...she tends to overcook everything. She is an excellent baker...something i had no patience for. If i was able to spend the time on my feet i would still love to cook in a restaurant.

Aug 23, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #122 of 3,876
Grilled chicken sausage with feta and spinach, American fries with homegrown flatleaf parsley, and roasted homegrown tomatoes with EVOO, Modena balsamic, fresh homegrown basil and thyme, and hard Italian cheeses. The skillet:

3847093350_432a0aeb16_b.jpg

The served plate with glass of pinot grigio:

3847094320_3c43d5917d_b.jpg

Not shown: drooling spaniels.
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #124 of 3,876
When I was a little kid, I learned very early that if I hung-out with the men in my family, I would get dirty or greasy. That would cause me to have to take baths. If I hung-out with the women, I got to eat icing and cookie dough, and I didn't get dirty. I also learned to cook. I've been doing so since I was 6 or 7. I make great soups and casseroles from being a bachelor until I was in my early thirties.

Every guy needs to know how to feed himself, sew a little, and take care of laundry...

Aug 23, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #125 of 3,876
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Turkey bacon BLTs:

Breakfast in the morning... We eat a lot of turkey since my cardiac episode a few years ago. I substitute ground turkey in most recipes that call for ground beef and while I can't stand turkey sausage patties, I really enjoy Italian sausage and kielbasa made from turkey.

Pa, you need to be on the Food Network!

Aug 23, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #126 of 3,876
Quote:

Originally Posted by Judge Buff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I make great soups and casseroles from being a bachelor until I was in my early thirties.

Every guy needs to know how to feed himself, sew a little, and take care of laundry...

Now that's camp cookin'; cook a little, eat a lot. And the leftovers are even better than the original presentation.

Don't forget knowin' how to ride, shoot straight, and tell the truth.
beerchug.gif

Aug 23, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #127 of 3,876
It's zucchini season, at least at this latitude. What do you do with your 30 pounds of zucchini, dropped off on your doorstep by well-meaning neighbours? I just found a cooking technique that is a keeper.

1. Split medium-sized zukes in half, and chop into 1/2"-thick chunks.
2. Cut a bunch of green onions into 2"-long pieces.
3. Mince a shwack of garlic and mix with olive oil.
4. Toss the zukes and onions with the oil-garlic stuff, and put them in a roasting pan - don't double-layer them.
5. Crumble feta cheese over the works.
6. Cook at 375 Fahrenheit for ~25 minutes.

Tastes great!

Aug 23, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #128 of 3,876
Quote:

Pa, you need to be on the Food Network!

Never work out:

1. I got a mug that was made for radio.

2. I'm not young, ethnic, buff, minority, female, diverse or hucksterish.

Aug 23, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #129 of 3,876
Quote:

Originally Posted by acidbasement /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's zucchini season, at least at this latitude. What do you do with your 30 pounds of zucchini, dropped off on your doorstep by well-meaning neighbours? I just found a cooking technique that is a keeper.

1. Split medium-sized zukes in half, and chop into 1/2"-thick chunks.
2. Cut a bunch of green onions into 2"-long pieces.
3. Mince a shwack of garlic and mix with olive oil.
4. Toss the zukes and onions with the oil-garlic stuff, and put them in a roasting pan - don't double-layer them.
5. Crumble feta cheese over the works.
6. Cook at 375 Fahrenheit for ~25 minutes.

Tastes great!

I have a HUGE zuke that could probably be used as a weapon! I'm so making this!

For the record, I've been cooking since I was about 5 years old. I lurve cooking - and the spousal unit approves!
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #130 of 3,876
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Never work out:

1. I got a mug that was made for radio.

2. I'm not young, ethnic, buff, minority, female, diverse or hucksterish.

Just the kind of person I'd watch cook on TV... like that Cajun guy that passed on a few years ago.

Aug 24, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #131 of 3,876
Quote:

Just the kind of person I'd watch cook on TV... like that Cajun guy that passed on a few years ago.

And while we're at it, I don't do desserts, bake cookies or pies, and am real weak at smoochin' buttocks.
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 25, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #133 of 3,876
^ OMG, Pa... I'm sitting here drinking a gin & tonic and eating rice chex. That's really beautiful corn! I'd enjoy being your neighbor. Wanna live in the South?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back