how many of you guys cook???
Mar 29, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #3,766 of 3,876
Pan seared loin of cod served with roast shallots, seaweed salad, and a mango jalapeno chutney.

bc596002cd724c5af4b6.png

55b5cbe75d1468364105.png

Mar 29, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #3,767 of 3,876
Pajeon (파전), a savory pancake stuffed with mostly scallions, fried until lightly crispy. I add carrots (just like the seafood version, except I don't bother buying seafood unless I'm eating it the same day) and some bean sprouts, plus some brown miso in the buttermilk+potato starch batter. Dipping sauce is vinegar based but over here I use a more potent pineapple vinegar.

For single portions I use my 8in cast iron skillet, but if I'm cooking for more people I'd do two on my two 10in skillets. Any larger than that and you're better off using a circular mold on a flat top plus a pizza shovel to flip it properly (although even for 10in I've never had to use the double spatula method).

pajeon.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #3,770 of 3,876
Binagoongan (from "bagoong," the local term for shrimp paste) - pork belly (plus aromatics) braised in fish stock, rice wine, and soy sauce until tender, then wok fried in oil, lots of garlic, and shrimp paste. Served it with a fried egg over kimchi fried rice. Was so hungry I forgot to garnish with chives.

Food_01.jpg

Apr 20, 2018 at 1:13 AM Post #3,771 of 3,876
May 16, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #3,773 of 3,876
Wasn't able to spend Mothers' Day with my Mom, so I thought last Sunday that I should at least have comfort food, that way I'd eat what my Mom cooks or what we eat when we dine out. Few things scream "comfort food" more than "fatty, deep fried pork" and "eggs," so I had some katsudon.

Deep fried in my 10in carbon steel then finished the egging (over onions cooked in dashi) on my 8in cast iron...
DSF5190.jpg

...My Mom would hate my plating though.
DSF5193.jpg

I only cook cause I have to. I honestly don't remember the last time I ate out, quite depressing if I think about it.

Well if you learn to cook properly, that's better than eating out in some ways. You spend less per meal, but you can come up with something good.

Jun 8, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #3,775 of 3,876
Rains are starting down here again so my menu's also changing. Did a 24hr chicken stock and a 2hr fish stock (2hrs with dried fish and random fish heads, then added the katsuobushi at the end), braised some pork belly then cooked down the liquid for my shoyu tare; chicken skin trimmed from what went into the broth was fried to flavor some seasoning oil along with some garlic. Get these together with some soba and here's my tori shoyu ramen with chashu.
DSF5217.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #3,780 of 3,876
I think I need to be paying more attention to this thread. Anyone have good low-carb vegetarian meals?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back