how many of you guys cook???
Feb 2, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #3,422 of 3,876
Bought the chilled roast Friday, and then instead of just the usual, gradual coming up close to room temp in the fridge, I bagged it with olive oil that had garlic and herbs in it for a few hours prior to marinating. Come roasting time I combined butter and oil (because I thought I had more butter in the fridge, turns out that tiny slice was the last) in a bowl along with a lot of black pepper and oven-dried onion bits, brushed that onto the roast, and then salted it using pink rock salt. I poured the oil into the dripping pan along with half a garlic, and put it in the oven while preheating it for the roast. Roughly 10mins on broil for the 9kg roast (on a raised rack above the pan), then I let the oven run at 100deg C for another ten minutes, and then let it cook through with the residual heat in the oven for an hour.

Didn't even get a proper shot as we were too hungry only 10mins into the out of the oven resting. Already poured the (too thick) au jus over it when I remembered to get the camera.

Feb 2, 2016 at 6:21 AM Post #3,423 of 3,876
What a great thread to stumble across.Just wanted to pop in say a quick hello and post a few pics I snapped the other night. There is a fig and olive tapanade and some crispy pork belly with braised brussel sprouts.

Feb 2, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #3,424 of 3,876
Hooi hooi! Another source of inspiration! I'm shopping for pork belly this weekend! And maybe olives, figs, and . . ..

Feb 4, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #3,426 of 3,876
I hope all of you can view this interesting trailer in your country.

Published on Feb 4, 2016
Explored through the lenses of the four natural elements – fire, water, air and earth – COOKED is an enlightening and compelling look at the evolution of what food means to us through the history of food preparation and its universal ability to connect us. Highlighting our primal human need to cook, the series urges a return to the kitchen to reclaim our lost traditions and to forge a deeper, more meaningful connection to the ingredients and cooking techniques that we use to nourish ourselves.

Feb 7, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #3,428 of 3,876
I hope all of you can view this interesting trailer in your country.

Explored through the lenses of the four natural elements – fire, water, air and earth – COOKED is an enlightening and compelling look at the evolution of what food means to us through the history of food preparation and its universal ability to connect us. Highlighting our primal human need to cook, the series urges a return to the kitchen to reclaim our lost traditions and to forge a deeper, more meaningful connection to the ingredients and cooking techniques that we use to nourish ourselves.

Just watched this - totally pumped to see this now. Thanks for the heads up!

Why are there so many cool nature shows with ridiculously high production value, but among the plethora of mostly rubbish food shows, relatively few that compare? I want to see the guys that did the BBC Earth series do another one about food and cooking with closeups, slo-mos, hi-rez, stop motion, and glorious colours.

Tonight was supposed to be Sichaun noodles, but of all pasta/noodles my son will only agree to eat farfalle :confused:. And only plain - no sauce. :frown: So for the rest of us it became "noodles" with ****ake and green beans.

(a good way to use up that extra gochugaru)

That was the most depressing thing in that preview - "Is there any time less wasted than cooking for those you love?" YES! My son eats nothing except plain pasta, bacon and cheese. My daughter won't eat onions or garlic or anything green, and my wife likes less spicy every year. :mad:

Feb 7, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #3,429 of 3,876
<snip-snip>
That was the most depressing thing in that preview - "Is there any time less wasted than cooking for those you love?" YES! My son eats nothing except plain pasta, bacon and cheese. My daughter won't eat onions or garlic or anything green, and my wife likes less spicy every year.
mad.gif

That's why this thread exists and we're here to share!

Feb 7, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #3,430 of 3,876
Just watched this - totally pumped to see this now. Thanks for the heads up!

Why are there so many cool nature shows with ridiculously high production value, but among the plethora of mostly rubbish food shows, relatively few that compare? I want to see the guys that did the BBC Earth series do another one about food and cooking with closeups, slo-mos, hi-rez, stop motion, and glorious colours.

Tonight was supposed to be Sichaun noodles, but of all pasta/noodles my son will only agree to eat farfalle
confused.gif
. And only plain - no sauce.
frown.gif
So for the rest of us it became "noodles" with ****ake and green beans.

That was the most depressing thing in that preview - "Is there any time less wasted than cooking for those you love?" YES! My son eats nothing except plain pasta, bacon and cheese. My daughter won't eat onions or garlic or anything green, and my wife likes less spicy every year.
mad.gif

How old are those kids? I had a cousin who refused to eat pretty much everything apart from fish fingers and baked beans until his late teens, when he went full-on adventurous in every aspect of life (including food) with no warning whatsoever.

My dad would always try and make us pick something we hadn't tried before off the menu whenever we ate out, and I am very grateful to him for it. I wasn't at the time.

At home, it was too far to walk to the nearest village large enough to contain a chippy or a cafe, so we ate what we were given. Luckily, both of my parents were good cooks.

Feb 7, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #3,431 of 3,876
That's why this thread exists and we're here to share!

Okay, now I like thinking about this thread in those terms.

How old are those kids? I had a cousin who refused to eat pretty much everything apart from fish fingers and baked beans until his late teens, when he went full-on adventurous in every aspect of life (including food) with no warning whatsoever.

Man I hope that's what will happen - fish fingers and baked beans is a positively balanced diet compared to what my kid eats. Second grade, has lived in three different continents, and eats virtually nothing. I might have overstated it before - he also will eat white (only cheese - no sauce, no anything else) pizza, chapati (plain), naan (plain), tortilla (plain), grilled cheese sandwich, and protein fortified milkshakes. Oh and Korean seaweed snacks (gim) by the boatload. No exaggeration, nothing else, no meat, no fruit, no veg. And for years I have tried every trick, method, threat, and incantation known to get recalcitrant kids to eat.

The worst part is having to make three, sometimes four, different meals for every dinner. :blink:

But I refuse to go gently into that bland bite.

Feb 8, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #3,432 of 3,876
Our "Tet Offensive" last night had one of my artery-busting creations.

Sriracha, sesame oil, soy sauce, and garlic marinade on pork belly meat...

...dried out the skin in the fridge...

...and then some inconvenient telemarketer almost ruined it. Almost, because the taste was fine.We portioned them out by each rib bone, sliced, and then reheated in the rendered fat on a flat top, and then into pita bread. Basically, I was too cheap to order Peking Duck, especially when I can get a whole 1kg block of pork belly for the same money as for half of a duck.

And of course, the staples of anything where I'm the designated cook:

Two massive, 1.5in thick, ~500g each Aussie ribeye steaks

Four massive, 1.75in thick, ~400g each Prime NY strip steaks

And of course, the star of the show - a massive, 2in thick, 1kg Porterhouse.

Also toasted the fat cap trimmed off the steaks. They tend to shrivel up into carnivore cotton candy.

Feb 8, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #3,435 of 3,876
I would like to contribute more to this very stimulating thread, but I have this problem where I realise I should have taken a photo only as I'm staring at an empty plate
biggrin.gif

I cook everyday mainly because I enjoy the process, and I take to it very naturally. Another main reason is that I can control the amount of sugar and salt intake. It also makes a great deal of economic sense.

I was in China over Xmas, and I cooked a meal for the family, consisting of pan fried pork belly (marinated in soy sauce, ginger, garlic and chillies overnight, glazed with honey at the end), fried shrimp and broccoli and beans in mustard and garlic dressing - A family member did take a photo of this, and will post it if I can dig it out.

As a Korean it's also been interesting to read how you guys are using 'Korean' ingredients. I don't use much myself because of time constraints. But I always feel content when I have gochujang at home. It gives a nice kick to a Bolognese, or I can lightly fry some vegetables and mix in to make some bibimbap. Great pre or post run meal.

Currently when I'm so busy, I have a rotation of egg noodles as per my previous post, and egg fried rice, and omelettes. Tuna and mayo sandwich (mayo, wholegrain mustard, salt, pepper, fresh thai chillies, finely chopped fresh garlic, little squeeze of lemon) is another quick meal. In between I have avocados drizzled with squeezed lemon juice, sliced celery, carrot and bell peppers dipped in hummus or peanut butter.

If I have soy sauce and sesame oil, garlic and chillies, then I'm content with the fact that a nice meal is a few minutes away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back