how many of you guys cook???
Dec 14, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #3,346 of 3,876
I knew I would regret clicking on this thread at 2:40 am in the morn...
:D Great pics!

With the holidays coming up, what do you guys tend to cook for Xmas dinner or any other occasion when there is a family gathering?
Personally I have gone with roast pork belly for the few gatherings. I might attempt something similar to what Protegemaniac posted on this page this year... hmmnn

Dec 15, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #3,348 of 3,876
I cook all the time for myself, as I live alone.

In the holidays though, I'm the family sous chef. I get sent to help cook who ever is hosting the that particular family meal. (And I do all the bread baking for them.) That does mean that I do not plan or choose the meal, I just help prep and cook it. :)

Dec 30, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #3,351 of 3,876
Thermometer broke while moving, or so I thought.. Water boils at less than 197 °F at my new altitude.  
etysmile.gif

Jan 1, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #3,352 of 3,876
How I greeted the New Year:

30 December 2015 : Shop for New Year's Eve dinner and 2 January high school (homeroom group) reunion

First time I walked out of a Costco-partner store (because I only usually do this in Costco when I'm in the other side of the Pacific) with a roughly US$180 bill for meat. Except I wasn't the one paying.

Rib ends removed for burgers, the center is portioned off: 50% into three 2in steaks (that if the grill is clear of the roast I'll sear like Bistecca Fiorentina, but with ribeye) and 50% for ribroast, now sitting in a garlic- and herb-infused olive oil and parsley

31 December 2015 : New Year's Eve dinner at home - Braised-roast pork belly

Because why spend money to blow up gunpowder when I can blow up my arteries

1. Pre-heat oven to 175 deg C.

2. Use a fork and poke holes through the pork skin (I initially tried my knives, but none were sharp enough and I can't find my dumb-arse grindstone). Salt the skin and rub it in, then take your favorite dry rub and mix it with palm oil. Blot the skin dry with kitchen towels, then baste it with the seasoning paste.

3. Sautee celery, preserved shallots (in red wine and vineger), and lots of garlic (also herb salt and black pepper)add pork fat side down to brown, cover.

4. Transfer pork to a roasting pan, then add chicken stock to the celery and shallots. Season with salt and pepper to taste, bring to a boil, then pour into roasting tray until meat is covered but not the fat and skin. Cover with aluminum foil, seal the sides well like an empanada.

5. Roast at 175deg C for one hour, then remove the foil and roast for another hour.

1 January 2016 :  Leftovers for brunch

Suicide Sandwich - call the Suicide Squad

1. Pull the meat on the roast apart, sprinkle a few drops of the roasting juices over it, mix and set aside.

2. Toast the bottom sides of the bread, then brush the top sides. 

3. Brush the top of two bread slices with the roasting juices. Next, pile meat over two slices, place skin over top slice, then toast.

4. Assemble the sandwich and serve cracklings on the side like fries. Try not to have a heart attack.

Note: If you really want the perfect roast pork sandwich, add your favorite veggies, as long as they aren't garden fresh stuff. Preserved relish like Sauerkraut, Kimchi, or Atchara; broccoli rabe also works, and any South/SEAsian leafy vegetable dish cooked in coconut milk works also.

Jan 1, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #3,353 of 3,876

I love to cook and have been the primary cook for my family since I was a teenager.....that was a lonnnng time ago. Too long :D
I made a beautiful Lasagna for my office pot luck Christmas party last week. Used home made Italian sausage, fresh mozzarella, Ricotta and Parmesan cheeses, it was beautiful!
Then, as I was trying to open the car door while holding the lasagna, the unthinkable happened. It had just come out of the oven and was still hot. Just as I got the car door open my grip on the glass Pyrex baking pan slipped and, ...... and, .... I dropped her!, I dropped her........ right there in my drive way. She had just been born and her life was so cruelly snuffed out after only a few minutes. The horror, the horror.

Here is a picture of the crime scene.
I hope that, with therapy and time, I will someday be able to Lasagna again, but for now, it's just too soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back