how many of you guys cook???
Aug 4, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #2,836 of 3,876
SF boys knows how to party...  
beerchug.gif

Aug 7, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #2,839 of 3,876
  I bought some iberico pork fillet and rice morcilla at Borough Market today, so I'll be making a pork wellington tomorrow.

I've been wanting to try making a beef wellington. The difference between pork and beef wellington is just the meat? What about the mushrooms, bacon/pancetta and stuff? 

Gordon Ramsay has inspired me to give it a try one day...

I really enjoy cooking when I have the time. I actually moved to France to study pastry so I have skillzz!

Aug 7, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #2,840 of 3,876
  I've been wanting to try making a beef wellington. The difference between pork and beef wellington is just the meat? What about the mushrooms, bacon/pancetta and stuff?

Gordon Ramsay has inspired me to give it a try one day...

I really enjoy cooking when I have the time. I actually moved to France to study pastry so I have skillzz!

I've got some mushrooms and shallots for the layer between meat and pastry, and will maybe add some sage to that. You can then wrap that in a pancake to provide a layer between it and the pastry. With pork as the main meat, I'd omit the bacon/pancetta.

Aug 7, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #2,841 of 3,876

I've got some mushrooms and shallots for the layer between meat and pastry, and will maybe add some sage to that. You can then wrap that in a pancake to provide a layer between it and the pastry. With pork as the main meat, I'd omit the bacon/pancetta.

A pancake?!? What type of pancake? Educate me but wouldn't that take away from the whole "delicateness" of it all? That's just me though. I'm highly interested in hearing about this method though!

Aug 8, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #2,842 of 3,876

A pancake?!? What type of pancake? Educate me but wouldn't that take away from the whole "delicateness" of it all? That's just me though. I'm highly interested in hearing about this method though!

Just a thin basic (flour/eggs/milk) pancake to create a barrier. Ladle just enough into the pan to coat the bottom and it'll cook very quickly. It'll be thin and light enough not to make itself obvious when you eat it.

Aug 8, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #2,843 of 3,876
Another lousy photo from my lousy camera... the pancake sort of bonds with the pastry. The central dark strip is morcilla (Spanish blood pudding with rice), while the outer layer is mushrooms, shallots, morcilla offcuts, garlic and a little sage oil.

I would have glazed it with egg, but noticed the "best before" date just in time, so used milk to help glue the edges and provide a light glaze on top. Very tasty all the same.

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #2,845 of 3,876
I was with a few buddies discussing ideas for  a restaurant, and naturally we did a lunch meeting right next to his gas grill. Two kilograms of rib eye and striploin were consumed and two people's crossfit diets ruined.

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #2,847 of 3,876

Sounds like a PERFECT cross fit meal to me!

Too fatty for them apparently - I got the ribeyes with the most marbling and the fattest strip of fat in the center, and while the striploins weren't marbled, I took some of the fat drippings, mixed them with butter, olive oil and cilantro, and brushed that all over the steaks.

Aug 20, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #2,849 of 3,876
  Well as long as there's no carbs eaten with the meal, it's all good in my books! But I am also a huge advocate of the keto lifestyle :) 

Oh I thought even the fats weren't allowed (according to them). Still, there was a little over half a kilo of baked potatoes that I seasoned with garlic and herb olive oil, a little salt and pepper, then wrapped in aluminum foil and put it right on the grill next to the pork belly and steaks.

Aug 20, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #2,850 of 3,876

Oh I thought even the fats weren't allowed (according to them). Still, there was a little over half a kilo of baked potatoes that I seasoned with garlic and herb olive oil, a little salt and pepper, then wrapped in aluminum foil and put it right on the grill next to the pork belly and steaks.

Can you buy duck fat in manilla? Amazing for potatoes! 

Ya, it depends on what diet you're on. But the keto is all about fat. You eat pretty much no carbs so that your body is forced to use fat as energy. So you need to eat extra fat just for your body not to fall into starvation mode - keeps the weight on because you're not eating enough. Your body needs one energy source: carbs or fat. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back