how many of you guys cook???
Apr 11, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #3,723 of 3,876
  Well, this is the recipe that I (more or less) followed: http://www.ostrichsa.co.za/ostrich_recipes.php?action=curry

I'm thinking of how a poached ostrich egg yolk would make a great dip for ostrich steak, like a seared version of oyakodon, but then I realized "how the hell can I get the ostrich egg out from the hot water and into a large enough bowl?" 
tongue_smile.gif

May 2, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #3,724 of 3,876
Just realized I haven't been posting here the past two weeks...

This is what happens when you're too lazy to follow recipes: an okonomiyaki that fills out the entire 10.5in carbon steel skillet (in fairness, it really worked better than teflon and stainless steel) that required six strips of bacon to cover the bottom. My 7in knife for scale, and I had to use the chopping board as a plate because none of my plates were big enough. In fairness, I flipped it without breaking it apart, so there's that.
DSCF3596.jpg

Finally got a new set of bowls, one black and one white. Shoyu ramen in the photo.
DSCF3599.jpg

And here's the black bowl with some miso ramen topped with sisig (braised, chopped, then wok fried pork jowls) and chicharon (deep fried pork leg skin from the shanks used for the base tonkotsu broth along with the jowls).

DSCF3619.jpg

Also made some cold noodles with kimchi and a chilled poached egg. Kimchi juice also spiked with Sriracha andthen I drizzled on more Sriracha and some chili garlic oil.
DSCF3600.jpg

And here's last night's gyudon.
DSCF3626.jpg

May 2, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #3,725 of 3,876
All those dishes look amazing!

I've just put an ox cheek in to marinate overnight. Ingredients include juniper berries, black peppercorns, bay leaf, garlic, cassia bark and a light sprinkle of dried chilli flakes, with red wine.

May 2, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #3,726 of 3,876
All those dishes look amazing!

I've just put an ox cheek in to marinate overnight. Ingredients include juniper berries, black peppercorns, bay leaf, garlic, cassia bark and a light sprinkle of dried chilli flakes, with red wine.

One thing I learned from (the flaw in) Filipino food is that they traditionally did not care too much for presentation. That was one of the hurdles or marketing the cuisine elsewhere - the most opposite of visually appealing are our stews. Especially the blood stew. I mean, it's already blood, but Hannibal Lecter can sear Ray Liotta's brain and it looks good.

May 15, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #3,727 of 3,876
I was feeling nostalgic so I recreated school lunch (in my high school anyway) - dimsum rice bowls. I bought pork dimsum from 7/11, then had them with some left over rice in the fridge that I fried with some kimchi. Rounded it all off with an egg.
CHFi01.jpg

Snacked on okonomiyaki. Proper size, but the reverse side is all bacon.
CHFi02.jpg

Kkanpunggi (spicy garlic fried chicken bites) made with a chili garlic oil, leek, garlic, Sriracha, gochujang (chili paste), and gochugaro (chili flakes) glaze.
CHFi03.jpg

Katsudon with an extra steamed yolk
CHFi04.jpg

Aug 15, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #3,731 of 3,876
Wow, lots of delicious looking dishes in this thread.

Most of my cooking is on my pellet grill:

20170815_180654.jpg
Stuffed pork tenderloin

20170815_180558.jpg
Back ribs

This time I updated the rub I use for pork ribs by adding Ras el Hanout (North African spice blend) to be 40% of the mixture. It was excellent!

Aug 19, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #3,734 of 3,876
Yeh I can cook, but nowhere as much as I used to. Did some yesterday when helping my dad out with our home made Indian. We have this tradition where every Friday we have an Indian curry, we either buy it from Sainsbury's or Waitrose depending which one has the better offer at the time of buying, or have it home made. Though for home made we cheat a bit buy buying the curry sauce and just mix the onion and chicken in with it because we're lazy like that :p

Previously I've made profiteroles, chocolate roulade, chocolate mousse, Christmas/Easter fruit cake, Christmas pudding (actually make this every year), my own custard, beef lasagne, spag bol and some other stuff I can't remember from the top of my head :)

Aug 19, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #3,735 of 3,876
I envy all you guys out there, as I was brought up in the....bloke works, women stays at home, and now at 77 years of age, I will sometimes cook a meal, dish it up, and think, whats the point, and throw it in the bin. Very sad, but living on my own, I really can't be bothered most days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back