how many of you guys cook???
Jun 19, 2002 at 1:11 AM Post #16 of 3,876
Woo yeah! George Foreman Grill! Forget his boxing career, he's invaluable to society just for endorsing that thing.

Try adding a little cream of onion soup to the ground beef before you grill a burger. That gives them a very unique taste.

kerelybonto

Jun 19, 2002 at 2:05 AM Post #17 of 3,876
Quote:

my patio caddy (Char Broil electric- works great).

I almost bought one of those to go on the patio at my condominium (so that I don't have to go up and down and up and down the stairs to the gas grill). Are they really that good?

Jun 19, 2002 at 3:01 AM Post #18 of 3,876
Quote:

Cooking is not fun for me, I just like good tasting food.

case closed.
biggrin.gif

Jun 19, 2002 at 3:14 AM Post #19 of 3,876
Quote:

The Quality Guru
I do make really good burgers, though, on the grill. My trick is to smear a good portion of Worcstershire sauce and sometimes A1 sauce when they're cooking, and then after flipping them, add some more to the other side. Seriously, if any of you don't know this trick, really consider it; honestly, it makes plain ordinary hamburgers come alive and have some zest, though not too much zest, just enough that it's full of great taste. Try it!

Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
My roommate does something similar, though he puts the Worcestershire sauce and A1 into the meat before putting it on the grill. We also put a bunch of garlic cloves in the meat. Best burgers ever!

Uh oh, both you guys haven't seen anything yet! Take an onion and maybe some peppers, dice them up and blot dry them with some paper towels. Work that into the meat with some seasoning sauce of choice, *VERY* lighly coat the outside of each patty with a drop or two of lemon juice (this does amazing things with the fat and works incredibly well with steaks; let sit a few hours with steaks), sprinkle with salt and pepper and grill to taste.

Remember, only flip ONCE!

For something even better use Buffalo instead of ground beef (I always use super-lean beef; like 94%+ lean).

There are just SOOO many things you can do with your basic burger.

Jun 19, 2002 at 3:45 AM Post #20 of 3,876
The best hamburger recipe is to basicly take meatloaf, form it into patties and put it on the grill, ahhhh.

Something that I have found is the most important part of a good burger is to mix an egg in the meat. It keeps the patty from falling apart on the grill and adds to the taste. Some tabasco sauce is great too. Venison makes very good hamburgers....

What type of heat do you guys like? I personally love gas stoves, and can't stand electrics. Electric just takes too dang long to both heat up and cool down, gas is instant which I like. As for grilling, kingsford charcoal is the way to go, IMO.

Jun 19, 2002 at 10:17 AM Post #21 of 3,876
The trick to making burgers stay together is freeze them.

Put them on the grill frozen. Takes a little longer to cook, and you have to be careful not the over sear the outside until the inside is done.

Mix whatever you're gonna mix into the meat, make the pattie's and freeze them. While they're cooking, LIBERALLY sprinkle with lime juice or beer.

Jun 19, 2002 at 1:29 PM Post #22 of 3,876
This thread proves it: Any discussion of cooking between men will quickly degenerate into a discussion of burgers or grilling...
biggrin.gif

Anyway, I love cooking, but only recently. If you live on your own since 15, you quickly learn how to cook, but it took until last summer that I really started to try and learn how to do more than just the basics. Making your own (complex) sauces, stocks, soups, trying to effectively combine dishes and so on. It is a ton of fun. My favorite that I have done so far: filet mignon with a red wine, shiitake mushroom and shallot sauce. Serve with steamed asparagus and the wine you used for the sauce. (I liked the Australian winery Leasingham's Shiraz from 1998). Have some good cheeses (manchego, st. andre, stilton and some goat cheese), grapes, and crisp bread. Add some Jazz (I like Sam Prekop for this, but of course Miles Davis), and if you had any chance at all, the panties will be flying over your shoulder in no time...

Jun 19, 2002 at 4:25 PM Post #23 of 3,876
Quote:

Originally posted by stuartr
and if you had any chance at all, the panties will be flying over your shoulder in no time...

It is time for lunch and now all I can think about are my wifes panties sailing over my head. well maybe I will go to Circuit City instead of eating

Jun 19, 2002 at 5:33 PM Post #24 of 3,876
We men are still Neanderthals, give us a grill and some meat and we think we are the king of the universe. But cooking goes far broader then the bloody grill! BBQ is kids stuff in the terms of cooking, there's nothing more do it then seasoning the meat properly and grill it on the right temperature and time.

Jun 19, 2002 at 6:15 PM Post #25 of 3,876
I cook, but mostly quick and dirty everyday cooking under time pressure. Nothing fancy. Ideally no more than 2 pots. My rice cooker is my best friend. As somebody said before, not really cooking for the love of cooking, more for the love of eating. all the cafeteria / cheap restaurant "dirt" just gets to me.

Also cooking breakfast for 100+ people twice a week. That runs more on adrenalin and speed than quality. There is nothing more fun than trying to get the texture of grits just right so they will be edible now but also after having sat in a steam table for 30+ minutes.

Jun 19, 2002 at 6:39 PM Post #27 of 3,876
Quote:

Originally posted by raymondlin
We men are still Neanderthals, give us a grill and some meat and we think we are the king of the universe. But cooking goes far broader then the bloody grill! BBQ is kids stuff in the terms of cooking, there's nothing more do it then seasoning the meat properly and grill it on the right temperature and time.

Technically that's all cooking is anyway...

Now, when you do what stuartr is doing over an open fire... Then you're onto something (except that panties are flammable so not the best of ideas on Colorado these days).

As for making burgers not fall apart... I dunno what your doing but mine never do.

Jun 19, 2002 at 6:44 PM Post #28 of 3,876
Quote:

Originally posted by Nezer

As for making burgers not fall apart... I dunno what your doing but mine never do.

One thing that is so simple but often overlooked. Only turn the meat or fish once and dont touch it until you are ready to turn it. If you do this they will almost always release perfectly and never fall apart. If this is too much they also sell burber baskets that work well. You just flip the basket over with the meat locked in place.

Jun 19, 2002 at 7:49 PM Post #29 of 3,876
don't laugh,I actually have two recipes published in cookbooks featuring Firehouse cooking.I made my famous fried chicken for a few poltical fundraisers including one for Mayor Daley.I work a lot of different firehouses but sometimes when the guys know me and know I'm coming they'll ask me to cook.I learned to cook when my wife was still enlisted in the MARINES and I had to take care of my oldest daughter alone for 7 months.I've gotten pretty good at it but rarely cook at home anymore because my wife does not like to be upstaged in front of the kids.(that's a joke!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back