How many M^3 owners are out there? Roll Call
Jan 10, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #32 of 34
Well, it's very simple. The application of AC power to the amplifier...converting it to DC and using the voltage to feed the various output devices (transistors, op amps, etc) is just another component of the sound, and is the catalyst for amplification to take place. It is just as important as the audio signal from your source.

Source + Power ----amplification devices---> Fully juiced up headphone sound

The power coming out of the wall wart is just weaker and dirtier. Go to AMB Laboratories DIY Audio Site and check out the sigma-11's tech highlights and you'll see it's a pretty advanced power supply. A good steady, clean source of power is half of what a power amp needs to function.

Jan 10, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #33 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im wondering what the sigma 11 actually does to the sound. Can someone try to explain the difference to me?

Subtle improvements in all areas is what I noticed. Better bass control and grip and instrument separation. Slightly more space/air. Every aspect of the amp improved, not by a ton, but it is very noticeable once you put all the improvements together.

Jan 10, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #34 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, it's very simple. The application of AC power to the amplifier...converting it to DC and using the voltage to feed the various output devices (transistors, op amps, etc) is just another component of the sound, and is the catalyst for amplification to take place. It is just as important as the audio signal from your source.

Source + Power ----amplification devices---> Fully juiced up headphone sound

The power coming out of the wall wart is just weaker and dirtier. Go to AMB Laboratories DIY Audio Site and check out the sigma-11's tech highlights and you'll see it's a pretty advanced power supply. A good steady, clean source of power is half of what a power amp needs to function.

Heh, I know what a power supply does and how it works. I wanted to know the effect on the sound. Thanks anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ciphercomplete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Subtle improvements in all areas is what I noticed. Better bass control and grip and instrument separation. Slightly more space/air. Every aspect of the amp improved, not by a ton, but it is very noticeable once you put all the improvements together.

This was what I was looking for. Thanks a lot
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back