How many folks considering Vinyl?
May 1, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #46 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Know Talent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I keep running across that ad for The Doors boxed set and it's taunting me to buy the new ClearAudio/Marantz!

My copy of the Doors box arrived yesterday, and it's sounding great. I'm going to slowly work my way through it. I have to say, the restoration & remastering sounds really good so far. Of course it helps that the original guys (Jac Holzman, Bruce Botnick, and Bernie Grundman) spent three months on it. It was clearly a labor of love. Apparently the Westrex cutting lathe originally used on Waiting for the Sun is still in Bernie's studio, so these discs were cut using vintage equipment. There is a bumper sticker on the rack below the lathe that reads "Use A Transistor / Go To Jail / It's The Law!"

I'm recording these using my Duet as I go, and the warmth of the vinyl played through a Grado cartridge is producing some pretty sweet sounding digital copies, so it's the best of both worlds.

May 2, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #47 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The quickest way to tell what the difference in sound is between an LP and digital is to get a good capture card and try capturing an LP. Then balance your levels and compare the capture to the original LP. I've done this. There is absolutely no audible difference.

The reason digital sounds bad is the same reason that LPs sound bad sometimes. Poor engineering. It has nothing to do with the format itself.

See ya
Steve

uhmmm, people are starting to find out that the reason why "digital" sounds different is the jitter. By recording a lp with a soundcard on your computer, my bet is that you insert (a lot of) jitter and get a more digital signature playback.

In the high resolution wars (SACD, DVD-A) some small vendors are showing that building a very low jitter dac, the good old redbook standard (CD PCM 16bit 44,1khz) is still up for the job. Most every time a review state's that it sound so analogue...

Well, i guess some audio-manufactures are learning there lessons and audio is not a telephone, and thus abandoning the holly freq measurements.

A dutch saying is: Meten is weten (measuring is knowing)
But i always complete this with: Maar weten wat te meten is belangrijker (knowing what to measure is even more importent)

May 2, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #48 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jelle Schrijver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
uhmmm, people are starting to find out that the reason why "digital" sounds different is the jitter. By recording a lp with a soundcard on your computer, my bet is that you insert (a lot of) jitter and get a more digital signature playback.

In the high resolution wars (SACD, DVD-A) some small vendors are showing that building a very low jitter dac, the good old redbook standard (CD PCM 16bit 44,1khz) is still up for the job. Most every time a review state's that it sound so analogue...

Well, i guess some audio-manufactures are learning there lessons and audio is not a telephone, and thus abandoning the holly freq measurements.

A dutch saying is: Meten is weten (measuring is knowing)
But i always complete this with: Maar weten wat te meten is belangrijker (knowing what to measure is even more importent)

I don't think it's ever been shown that jitter is audible (or even that digital definitely sounds audibly different).

May 2, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #49 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think it's ever been shown that jitter is audible (or even that digital definitely sounds audibly different).

It's about audio, so you have to hear it, not see it
biggrin.gif

But everybody has it's own truth and mine is that jitter is clearly audible. That's my experience. But i would love to hear what in your view makes so many CD drives sound so different if it is only zero's and one's and jitter (timing) has no influence on the DAC.

May 2, 2008 at 8:41 AM Post #50 of 81
Quote:

It's about audio, so you have to hear it, not see it
biggrin.gif

But everybody has it's own truth and mine is that jitter is clearly audible. That's my experience. But i would love to hear what in your view makes so many CD drives sound so different if it is only zero's and one's and jitter (timing) has no influence on the DAC.

Read accuracy and circuit implementation. "CD drives" aren't just reading lenses that plug into your DAC or amp.

Everyone may have their own truth, but that doesn't make them the actual truth. If your opinion differs from a fact, it's still wrong.
tongue.gif

Anyway, I'd rather not go into this here. There are huge threads detailing the technical reasons and referencing the studies that say jitter is inaudible at the levels found in conventional audio.

Back to vinyl talk!

May 2, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #51 of 81
Quote:

)

Read BigShots post again, he said the digital transfer of an LP sounds the same as his vinyl rig. Your post makes no sense at all.

May 5, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #52 of 81
Quote:

...another moth drawn to the flame over the faint hum hovering just above the noise floor?
wink.gif
icon10.gif

I keep running across that ad for The Doors boxed set and it's taunting me to buy the new ClearAudio/Marantz!

Glad I got the willpower!
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Sounds to me like you have been looking at that Music Direct catalog to long.

As far as vinyl and digital goes, I like the convenience of a cd, but I will always love vinyl. I guess it is because it is what I grew up with.

May 9, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #55 of 81
wow audiodwebe! That was last year so I'm sure you have a lot more now
smily_headphones1.gif

I just got a TT at a garage sale last weekend for $10 and bought a new belt for $10 (it didn't have one). Also picked up some records from the local Salvation Army for $.25 each!

Waiting impatiently for the belt to arrive so I can begin listening!
cool.gif

May 9, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #56 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by axiom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow audiodwebe! That was last year so I'm sure you have a lot more now
smily_headphones1.gif

I just got a TT at a garage sale last weekend for $10 and bought a new belt for $10 (it didn't have one). Also picked up some records from the local Salvation Army for $.25 each!

Waiting impatiently for the belt to arrive so I can begin listening!
cool.gif

enjoy vinyl!

I've been at it for a year now, the only thing I find to be a problem is when you mention it in a conversation and people say, "oh that's cool, you COLLECT vinyl records"
tongue.gif

May 9, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #57 of 81
Quote:

all kidding aside....

I really wonder whether the surface noise has something to do with the appeal.

funny, I finally broke down and bought me first CD in April of 91' because of the band Tiny Lights that I saw live while visiting in L.A. had no copies on vinyl with them of their hard to find recordings. well some months later I finally bought a Luxman CD player and then a few CD's later I was talking to a close girl of the same age as me. she told me the reason she preferred vinyl to CD's was because of the ticks and pops with the rotating of the vinyl. she was a punker chick and loved old things anyway. she filled her life with old things just like I. vinyl was what we grew up with. vinyl and 8-track tapes and then cassettes.

most of my vinyl was of the late 70's and early to mid 80's for it was ding dong weirdo music of that time that I collected. from the get go of CD's I was told of how superior vinyl was to CD's and most of that ding dong weirdo music that I collected could mostly only be found on vinyl. not all of me vinyl but a good bit of it was $3 to $5 for used and some it I found still sealed at that price. I could not see any reason to get into CD's.

when I finally did start collecting CD's it was music from the 60's and 70's that I never had on vinyl or had even gave a chance when I was a teen. I figured it was a good medium to collect these recordings on because most of these recording I found on vinyl was not even in good shape in that time period. most people did not have good equipment that they played their vinyl on. they might as well had a nail for a needle cause ya know they didn't take care of them. one of the first things I heard as promotion for CD's was that it was to give the normal person a better medium to listen to music by. to make their cheaper systems sound more like expensive ones. ???

back then I rarley played my vinyl and when I did it was mostly to record over to cassette. when I got me vinyl I wanted to preserve it's quality as much as possible. I hate sometimes I got rid of me vinyl but I have me reasons and it's mostly to do with space and moving around. I even take me CD's out of the jewel cases which I hate with a passion and store them in LP like sleeves to save on even more space. but I will tell ya that prefer digital over analog any day of the week. easier to listen to, easier to record, easier to store. cannot wait till all me music is in AIFF on a hard drive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by terance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
enjoy vinyl!

I've been at it for a year now, the only thing I find to be a problem is when you mention it in a conversation and people say, "oh that's cool, you COLLECT vinyl records"
tongue.gif

what I have seen over the past few years I think for the majority getting into vinyl is just trendy. like with some of the youth that go out and buy an old junker 60's or 70's auto to ride around in just to be cool. vegan diet, vintage clothes, save the world but drive a gas guzzling, polluting junker. it's cool! they speak of vinyls quality over CD, the cool artwork but it's on junk turntables and systems that I have seen some of them play it on. some didn't even know how to handle or even take care of the vinyl itself. all fingers with oil and pot resin on them.

from what you will hear from a few here on head-fi. it's all about the music! and every format has it's on signature.. I damn well enjoy what I hear through me RS1's and HeadRoom Amp and DAC off me iMac.

May 11, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #58 of 81
I've bought lately some vinyls .. but nothing big-time. My player's old low/mid-fi Technics that gives such bad sound (bad cabling perhaps) I can't listen to it with headphones. I've bought like 10 records. Mostly those which I have as CDs already. I buy these mostly because of their covers.
smily_headphones1.gif
Bigger's better, they say. I agree.

May 11, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #59 of 81
yep, totally addicted here, coming up to 200 lp's and having been 'serious' about a year now. every time payday comes, i treat myself to a few more lp's.
its no way enough though, i 'need' more, and probably will never be happy.
its not my fault, there is far too much good music out there. like the entire Frank Zappa releases (8 down, 68 odd to go...)

May 12, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #60 of 81
I gave up vinyl years ago along with all forms of tape and tubes but I
must admit an expensive TT is a work of art as for sound i'll take the
cd if mastered correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back