How many dedicated DACs are in your household?
Jul 1, 2012 at 2:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

goldmbe

Head-Fier
I think it would be interesting to know how many dedicated DACs (not including iPods, laptops, etc., of course) people here have in their homes, as well as how many DACs they've owned in their lives. Any quantitative data (and qualitative impressions, too) are welcome!

Jul 1, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #2 of 22
no idea how many i've owned in my life, but I have 6 in my possession now. 2 x buffalo II, 1 x ibasso D10 and 3 x ackodac AKD12P. to be fair the last 3 are being built into one 6 channel unit to feed 6 power amps for a set of 3 way speakers with software/digital crossover and convolver.

Jul 10, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:
no idea how many i've owned in my life, but I have 6 in my possession now. 2 x buffalo II, 1 x ibasso D10 and 3 x ackodac AKD12P. to be fair the last 3 are being built into one 6 channel unit to feed 6 power amps for a set of 3 way speakers with software/digital crossover and convolver.

WOW  that's a lot..

I only have the XDA-1 and a Buffalo III.  Working on the AckoDac now..

Jul 19, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #8 of 22
its probably the definition of insanity - next one makes 13? through the years and most still alive (one Entec makes a clicking noise as its constantly seeking a coax input)
AMD, ART DI/o, Entec 205, old AN with tube output and tube regulation (nice!), Monitor 02, Zhaolu D2, Shek, Emotiva, Fubar II, Konnek6, Padden w. transformer outs, Lite AH, RM on order - its kinda like lady Marcos and the shoes thing...

Jul 19, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #9 of 22
Want to keep a minimalist set-up,so only one DAC at a time.
Which will be upgraded over time,of course(thats the fun of it;getting those subtle improvements).

Jul 21, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #10 of 22
Still have the three I used in a comparison review 9 months ago (Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC (v1); Meier StageDAC; Schiit Bifrost in order of purchase).

I rotate them through my speaker and headphone rig, leaving one surplus at any given time.

Contemplating whether any worthwhile improvement over these can be had for a reasonable price and, if so, what? Other than the usual suspects mentioned on head-fi, have considered Metrum (controversial; enthusiastically supported by purchasers but criticised on technical grounds by others). 

Await release and well-done reviews of Schiit Gungir with interest.

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #14 of 22
Three so far:

NuForce uDac2
Audioquest Dragonfly
Cambridge Audio DAC Magic Plus

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #15 of 22
I currently have an iBasso D10, a nuForce Icon Mobile, and 2 Frontier Tangos (studio Lightpipe DACs).  So I answered 4.  I also have a pair of Gadget Labs 824s, but since they use a proprietary PCI card I think they don't count as dedicated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back