How many CDs have you ripped so far?
Jun 17, 2009 at 1:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

auee

100+ Head-Fier
I have ripped 1238 in apple lossless so far and counting. I have about another 2000 and growing to go. There are days when I look at the racks and think no way am I ever going to finish.

I know some have given up, but I am going to catch up possibly by the end of the year. It is worth it to me. My Mac Mini handles the collection effortlessly, the sound to the external DAC is definitely as good as my CD players, and the iPhone works beautifully as a remote. This set up has motivated many who have seen it in action to emulate it. At least with respect to computer audio, we are living in very good times.

Jun 17, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #2 of 53
Another 2000? Wow! I've ripped about 240 to .flac using EAC. It takes forever using that program, but it's so thorough I don't really mind. I'm not really fond of digital formats for home use myself, but they're certainly good enough for my portable system.

Jun 17, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #3 of 53
Wow, that a big collection you have! Just wondering at 1238, how much space have you used? My cd collection of 500+ has yet to be updated to lossless but am tempted as soon as I get an external dac and a larger HD.

Jun 17, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #4 of 53
Wow, I only have around 300 CDs and I have not burnt all of them into my comp.

Jun 17, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #5 of 53
897. Personal CD library, all bought and paid for.

I'm about to undergo ripping them again into FLAC.

Jun 17, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #6 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheemo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, that a big collection you have! Just wondering at 1238, how much space have you used? My cd collection of 500+ has yet to be updated to lossless but am tempted as soon as I get an external dac and a larger HD.

A bit over 406GB on my 1TB WD external drive.

Jun 17, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #9 of 53
Somewhere in the 400 neighborhood. All Oggs, early ones at a lower quality since at the time I didn't believe I could hear a difference... now I can
frown.gif

I should go back and re-rip the 200 or so done when I first got into the ripping game way back when. They still sound great, just not as great.

Lossless takes up too much space, and high quality oggs sound perfect to my ears. I like having options on my 20 gig player. Now if I had a 500gig player that'd be a different story
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 17, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #10 of 53
I bet ±500 CDs.
Since I have been ripping CDs for 12-13 years, and have re-ripped several times as I have grown from MP3, through Ogg Vorbis, to ALAC.

Currently 'just' around 150 albums in my library though.

Jun 17, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #11 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Currently 'just' around 150 albums in my library though.

You've got to respect that. I just did away with exactly 313 albums in my digital music library. I've kept the lossless rips on my HD, but I don't see any point in extending the library of music that I actually listen to very much anymore. When people talk about ripping thousands of CDs, I wonder if they've ever done the math to figure out if they'll ever actually be able to listen to all of it in their lifetime.

Jun 17, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #12 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You've got to respect that. I just did away with exactly 313 albums in my digital music library. I've kept the lossless rips on my HD, but I don't see any point in extending the library of music that I actually listen to very much anymore. When people talk about ripping thousands of CDs, I wonder if they've ever done the math to figure out if they'll ever actually be able to listen to all of it in their lifetime.

There are many great uses to having a large library on a hard drive; thinking in terms of playing an entire album is too limited. I make playlists covering numerous albums. Sometimes, I am in the mood to hear one or a few songs from an album and having it ripped is a great convenience. Other times I hit shuffle and am surprised by what plays. Finally, on I tunes, there is genius which makes good use of a large library. The more choices the better in my opinion.

Jun 17, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #13 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by auee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have ripped 1238 in apple lossless so far and counting. I have about another 2000 and growing to go. There are days when I look at the racks and think no way am I ever going to finish.

I know some have given up, but I am going to catch up possibly by the end of the year. It is worth it to me. My Mac Mini handles the collection effortlessly, the sound to the external DAC is definitely as good as my CD players, and the iPhone works beautifully as a remote. This set up has motivated many who have seen it in action to emulate it. At least with respect to computer audio, we are living in very good times.

Allow me to remotely access your music directory. Then I'll delete them!
smile.gif

Jun 17, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #14 of 53
I started a re-ripping project at the beginning of the year to convert my library from MP3 to FLAC. I currently have 570 discs re-ripped to FLAC. A couple hundred more to go if I get to them.

I don't have an accurate count of the number of physical CDs that I have. The count that I get from my media player software is not accurate. It counts albums like "The Wall" as two CDs so isn't a count of the actual number of albums that I have. I also rip HDCDs twice. One copy gets a digital HDCD decode to 24-bit and the other stays at 16-bit. So that 570 number is an inflated number when considering the number of physical albums.

It takes a lot of time to re-rip and make sure that tags and album art get transferred over. Now that I'm doing lossless I won't have to do it over again later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back