How many Asians in here?
Dec 6, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #61 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by brn80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Asian Americans have the highest median income in the US;

I've always disliked the vagueness of the word "asian". The high income/intelligence thing really only applies to east/south asians. Many southeastern nationalities (particularly, hmong, cambo, lao) aren't so well off. I kinda wish the collective being we're perceived as was destroyed, since even though we're all *technically* asian, our individual history/looks/behavior can vastly differ. Hell, I've been treated better by blacks and hispanics than by other asians (excl. my own nationality), so screw that whole "brotherhood" crap.

(I know the terms "white" and "black" are also like this, but at least with the former people can/will easily acknowledge you as french, italian, brit, etc. There are a lot of folks out there who actually think all asians are the same.)

Dec 6, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #62 of 392
another asian here. there's just as many cheap non asians as there are asians. =T

Dec 6, 2006 at 11:52 PM Post #64 of 392
Ha, my father and mother NEVER tip (I don't even think they know what tipping is...and if they did, I doubt they would want to spend extra money doing it).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've always disliked the vagueness of the word "asian". The high income/intelligence thing really only applies to east/south asians. Many southeastern nationalities (particularly, hmong, cambo, lao) aren't so well off. I kinda wish the collective being we're perceived as was destroyed, since even though we're all *technically* asian, our individual history/looks/behavior can vastly differ. Hell, I've been treated better by blacks and hispanics than by other asians (excl. my own nationality), so screw that whole "brotherhood" crap.

(I know the terms "white" and "black" are also like this, but at least with the former people can/will easily acknowledge you as french, italian, brit, etc. There are a lot of folks out there who actually think all asians are the same.)

I hate the whole Asian thing as well, but mainly because I'm technically Asian and that really lowers my chances of getting into an engineering school. Bah, I wish I was white or some other race.

Dec 7, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #66 of 392
We're still 1 page ahead. The race continues...
tongue.gif

Dec 7, 2006 at 1:18 AM Post #70 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not asian.....taking canto lessons though...anyways, we all should leave in peace and it should work out if we just llisten to Russell Peters http://www.russellpeters.com/
evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

He's the sh!t! We tried to get him to do a show at our medical school, but the dude wanted something like $6000+ plus first class airfare and accommodations for 1 night.

Dec 7, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #73 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I knew a kid when i was in college... his dad was a very successful business manager and traveled between the US and hongkong. They lived in a 2 million $$ home. This kid played a $1800 Paul Reed Smith guitar through a $2000 Soldano amp/4x12 cabinet. He drove a yellow ferrari F355 (!!) on dates and weekends. His daily driver, commuter car was a Dinan M5 BMW. He was into mountainbiking and his bike was $3000.

a kid in HIGHSCHOOL!!!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

The kid was actually pretty level headed, and not stuck up at all... a nice guy. His dad just bought him really nice stuff.

I bumped into him at the movie theater couple years ago. I saw his yellow ferrari in the parking lot (black after-market rims with yellow trim), and knew it was his car. He was racing the skip barber racing circuit with a modded Corvette C5 (!!)
eek.gif
eek.gif

So I agree not all asian's are cheap...

i agree that it really depends on the person and family. one of my good friends is pretty cheap for someone whose father started two companies that went public and then rolled some of that money into other startups that went through the roof. my friend was also able to invest in some of the companies that his dad did and is now quite well off.

still, he drives around in his 8yr old lexus and does a lot of things that cheap asians are known for. he's a pretty cool guy, just surprising that he is so cheap for having so much money.

myself on the other hand, i'm a cheap person from taiwan except on headphones and camera gear. i will usually try to sell something before i buy another.

go team asian-fi!

Dec 7, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #74 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ha, my father and mother NEVER tip (I don't even think they know what tipping is...and if they did, I doubt they would want to spend extra money doing it).

I hate the whole Asian thing as well, but mainly because I'm technically Asian and that really lowers my chances of getting into an engineering school. Bah, I wish I was white or some other race.

Lowers your chances? I don't know about US, but in Canada, you're basically AUTOMATICALLY accepted into engineering if they can identify you as asian. Honestly, my class is a ratio of 45% Oriental, 45% 'Brown', and 9% White. There are 3 black people out of a class of 384. 70% of the oriental and 'brown' have definately immigrated to this country in the last 5 years. We have more Korean males carrying handbags than the female population in engineering.

So if you were in Canada, and can show that your asian and that you just moved here, bingo welcome to engineering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back