How many Asians in here?
Dec 6, 2006 at 5:29 PM Post #46 of 392
I knew a kid when i was in college... his dad was a very successful business manager and traveled between the US and hongkong. They lived in a 2 million $$ home. This kid played a $1800 Paul Reed Smith guitar through a $2000 Soldano amp/4x12 cabinet. He drove a yellow ferrari F355 (!!) on dates and weekends. His daily driver, commuter car was a Dinan M5 BMW. He was into mountainbiking and his bike was $3000.

a kid in HIGHSCHOOL!!!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

The kid was actually pretty level headed, and not stuck up at all... a nice guy. His dad just bought him really nice stuff.

I bumped into him at the movie theater couple years ago. I saw his yellow ferrari in the parking lot (black after-market rims with yellow trim), and knew it was his car. He was racing the skip barber racing circuit with a modded Corvette C5 (!!)
eek.gif
eek.gif

So I agree not all asian's are cheap...

Dec 6, 2006 at 5:34 PM Post #47 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Roborovski Hamster is actually an Asian hamster from Mongolia, but was named after a Russian expedition that made the discovery.

-Ed

I KNEW that was a Roborovski, I just knew it. I didn't want to geek out and say anything though. I used to have two of them, who in turn had babies. I then sold them to a pet store. Probably the most energetic of hamsters.

They used to be really hard to find and I had to get mine from a breeder. Now, they sell them at Petsmart under the name "Robo Hamsters".

Dec 6, 2006 at 5:44 PM Post #48 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So I agree not all asian's are cheap...

To me, giving no tip at a restaurant, while you know those servers make the living on tips, is very cheap.

Paying for something with the best your money can buy is smart shopping, regardless of the amount.

Negotiate on price is self defense of smart shoppers.... don't want to be ripped. It's the 2-way street.

Yes, many of us were generalized or stereotyped as "Cheap", across all ethnic groups.

biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #50 of 392
Asian here. 100% Indian. Am not really cheap, but am currently a poor student, but love to splurge when I have the money, which I usually don't lol. But yes..you could count me in as cheap most of the times, and try to save money.

Dec 6, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #51 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me, giving no tip at a restaurant, while you know those servers make the living on tips, is very cheap.

Paying for something with the best your money can buy is smart shopping, regardless of the amount.

Negotiate on price is self defense of smart shoppers.... don't want to be ripped. It's the 2-way street.

Yes, many of us were generalized or stereotyped as "Cheap", across all ethnic groups.

biggrin.gif

I give tips almost everywhere, at coffee shops they have little cups that take tips next to the register, and I usually just dump whatever change they give me into that cup. So technically, I usually just pay by the full round dollar. Thats not really my anti-cheap side kicking in though, its usually my dislike for carrying change side.

Dec 6, 2006 at 7:02 PM Post #54 of 392
Cheap or not, depends on how your parents raise you up, of course there are always people who do things one way because they are raised like that and later in life realize it's not the way they like then try to change it.

Dec 6, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #55 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cheap or not, depends on how your parents raise you up, of course there are always people who do things one way because they are raised like that and later in life realize it's not the way they like then try to change it.

Sometimes, situation would also change the way we think. If you have chance to discuss this topic with some "Weathered" seniors, you might hear how they value things after they'd survived the worst situation from WW2, concentration camps, POW camps, or simply a major war/disater.

They might LOL at us when they hear how we try to define the meaning of "Cheap".

biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2006 at 7:19 PM Post #56 of 392
I don't know if this is normal but say you are raised in such a way and you have been doing it for as long as you remember, then later when you are in the 20's you suddenly realize the way your parents raised you is not good in all aspects, so when you get married and have kids later you might want to raise your kids a bit differently. In other words, having the ability to see through things when you are also part of the insiders.

Dec 6, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #59 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My friend works in a store and he says that the Indians are usually the cheapest customers and always trying to bargain down the prices as if they're still in India. It gets annoying he tells me but other than that, they are nice even if they never smile.

Asian Americans have the highest median income in the US; and among Asian Americans, Indian Americans have the highest median incomes. That's how you get rich, by being super duper cheap
icon10.gif

Dec 6, 2006 at 8:39 PM Post #60 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread is better than PinkFloyd's "How many non Asians in here?" thread.

ANY thread is better than one created by PinkFloyd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back