How many apartment dwellers here using headphones instead of speakers out of necessity?
Jul 22, 2012 at 5:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

CountChoculaBot

500+ Head-Fier
Currently planning out either a headphone or a speaker rig to be used when I move into an apartment in the future.

I'd prefer speakers, but my main concern is that I won't be able to play my speakers (2.0 bookshelf w/ surprisingly good low end) at good levels in an apartment.

I do listen to some rather bassy hip hop and R&B, but I don't EQ the bass up at all.  That said, the speakers do produce a healthy amount of bass, such that a hip hop fan wouldn't be wanting for a subwoofer in the setup.

So, I'm just wondering.  Who here has been driven to this site and headphones because they can't play music over speakers in an apartment?  I like to listen at fairly loud levels, and at late hours of the night.  Would this be an issue in the average apartment?

Jul 22, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #2 of 12
Sounds like me. I had AudioEngine a5s running with the audioengine d1 dac and I was in heaven with the sound. Unfortunately those powered speakers throw out some serious sound and I continuously got noise complaints from my neighbors on both sides. Since selling off that set up I am now going with headphones. In process of sorting out what I want my "at home" set up to include now. 

Jul 22, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #3 of 12
Depressing for me to hear :frowning2:

May I ask, if it was mainly just the bass that they heard?  Or were they hearing the vocals and stuff too?  Also, just wondering how loud you listen?  Like, deafening levels or instead fairly loud levels?  I'll go ahead and say I'm probably about -4dB away from loudness that'll leave your ears slightly sore after a 30 min session with near field speakers.  I'm guessing... that's a bit too much? Haha :)

Jul 22, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #4 of 12
Im still in high school, thus living in my parents house, and they HATE the kind of music i listen too (Prog metal, heavy metal, and some rock) so i have to use my HD518 to listen to music at any decent levels instead of my kick ass speaker setup.

Jul 22, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #5 of 12
Listening to music in an apartment situation out of speakers is normally fine; but whatever you do, don't be "that person" who can be heard by neighboring tenants. There are plenty of headphones that can provide the same quality of thumping bass, not to mention additional privacy of what you're listening to, and block out noise that others might be making.

Jul 22, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #6 of 12
I owned many speakers before moving to an apartment, and though I was already into headphones before the move I now only own one set of speakers and my headphone collection has gone up to 30 at a time. When I first moved to the place I didn't think that the walls were particularly thin and I never really heard my neighbors, but the moment I listened to music at any volume it was heard by people on both sides of me. It seems to be something about the rhythm that's a lot more noticeable than speech rather than loudness itself, because I honestly don't play music all that loud.

I think you'd probably want to play it safe and grab a pair of headphones.

Jul 22, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #7 of 12
Agree with the above. I listen at moderate levels. Certainly loud if standing in front of the speakers but overall not rocking the house loud. Its without a doubt going to be a problem to enjoy your music fully unless you have some really understanding neighbors. Its actually the neighbors above me that complained the most if that helps. 

Jul 22, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #8 of 12
I lived in an apartment building that was built in 1919 and had been completely renovated. As nice as it was, the walls were still paper thin. I could hear peoples tv's that were using just stock speakers. Needless to say, I couldn't run my speaker set up. I guess sacrifices must be made for a good location/cool place. I loved that apartment (even though it was loud) haha

Jul 22, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #9 of 12
Interesting thread. We're in an apartment, and with neighbors, sleeping baby, and a roaring air conditioner, we have to resort to headphones. Fortunately, there are some very nice options out there.. Still tweaking our setup though :)

Jul 22, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
Im still in high school, thus living in my parents house, and they HATE the kind of music i listen too (Prog metal, heavy metal, and some rock) so i have to use my HD518 to listen to music at any decent levels instead of my kick ass speaker setup.

Ha ya me to im 15 and when i try to play music of any kind my parents rush in and put it to a screeching hault. So i just put on my HD439 :D

Jul 22, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #11 of 12
Apartment living definitely drove me to look at headphones- not because of neighbours but cement, glass, and asymmetry don't lend themselves to stereo loudspeaker setups. 

Jul 23, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
Apartment living definitely drove me to look at headphones- not because of neighbours but cement, glass, and asymmetry don't lend themselves to stereo loudspeaker setups. 

That's what wall rugs, interesting room planning, and buying the building so you can do whatever you want with a hammer are for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back