How many amps have you bought simply to get the best sound from AKG K701?
Mar 8, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #17 of 30
I've bought 1 amp specifically for my K701's: A Woo Audio 6. I then got some tubes specifically for the AKG's too, a pair of 6FD7.

I also use them with a Millett MiniMax and a Millett "Starving Student" Hybrid. Both do a great job of driving these cans. For those on a budget I keep saying the "Starving Student" Hybrid is the best amp for the 701's.

Lately I've been thinking of buying a Sheer Audio HA-006+ (Dyanlo variation) or build an M3 to have a solid state, direct coupled alternative to the all-tube Woo and my hybrids.

cheers !

Mar 8, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #20 of 30
My 702s joined the party after I had picked up a WA6 (my first real non-portable amp) to match with my HF-2s, but have been a very interesting counterpart to my original intended set-up (I no longer listen to classical on the Grados, also less jazz). I've only tasted SS on the portable scale (RSA SR-71), but am seriously contemplating giving a listen to the Burson HA 160 (even though the 702s sound great on the WA6, I keep on wondering whether their supposedly "power-hungry" tendencies might match well with the Burson). For those running them on a WA6, do you find that the 6fd7s are the/a strong(est) match for classical and jazz?

Mar 8, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by autonomous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice clean set up there DoingOK. Looks real good, no doubt sounds great, but from what source are you feeding the amp, and what kind of cable is that on the 702's?

I'm using Emotiva components (RSP-2,ERC-1 and RPA-2). I also have a Wadia Transport with a V-DAC for my iPod. Cable is from ZXAC.

glow.jpg

Mar 8, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #23 of 30
I must say that I'm very impressed by the sound signature of the K701 with the tube amplifier Yarland P100 ; it works fine with the source (Pioneer PD-D6-J)...I have try another source, Philips DVD 963SA with upsampler 24/192 but the sound was to bright and the bass was not so well controled like PD-D6.
This set-up it's GREAT with female voices, guitar, jazz and classical music. I had use ONLY CD-DA and SACD to do this tests.
The 32 Ohmi output of the Yarland it deliver 1W in class A so I think that the Yarland have enough power to drive K701.

Mar 8, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #24 of 30
Well I started with a cmoy, made by myself. It was based around an audio-gd sunV2 HDAM. Then I moved to the integrated phone on the Zero DAC, sound signature was powerful but flat sounding. After that I went to a WA3+ but it didn't have enough power so I output the signal to a headphone amp based around a TPA6120a2. That sounded quite good for some time, the Zero fed the Woo. And then I moved to my current set up as seen in my sig. Cal Dac with the 24bit upgrade, tunsgram 12ax7's, and a Darkvoice 337 with two Tung Sol 5998 up front and two Tung-Sol Mesh plates 6SJ7GT in back. I could not be happier with the sound at the moment! Delivers about 2 watts into the headphones and does so with complete dynamic authority. So in total I guess I've gone through about 3 amps and 2 DAC's.

Mar 8, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #25 of 30
@ OP

When will you buy an amp to get the full potential of your 701?

My GLite was purchased specifically because of my K701. The fact that the Gilmore Lite works well with all my other cans is a bonus.

Mar 8, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #26 of 30
I bought the Heed Canamp and it's perfect with the 701. I'm also impressed with what the Raptor does with the cans.

Mar 9, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by autonomous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice and sensible system DoingOK.

Thanks. I'm very happy with the results and it doesn't break the bank.

Mar 30, 2010 at 7:45 AM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by realmassy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought a Rega Ear, and sounded OK. Then I got a Little Dot MKV, slightly better but the sound was "too distant" (I don't know how to explain it), then I went balanced with MKVII, but I had some hiss problems with the amp.
Now I have a Audio-GD Roc, and it sounds wonderful, I can't ask for a better amp. Sometimes I wish these cans to sound a bit less dry and more relaxed, but mostly depends on the recording.

realmassy,

I am also considering Audio-GD setup for K702, was wondering how does Roc perform with low frequencies with K702?. I feel that 702 could use a bit of bump in that area, I have listened to them with Audio-GD FUN but I still feel that the bass is bit lacking even for classic rock sort of music.

I am presuming ur cans are balanced?. Since my cans are unbalanced I am considering DAC-19 with C2. My Ultrasone Pro 750 sounds fantastic with Audio-GD FUN I am sure it will only get better with C2 + DAC19 but I am wondering if it would do any good to K702?.

Mar 30, 2010 at 8:01 AM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by geek101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
realmassy,

I am also considering Audio-GD setup for K702, was wondering how does Roc perform with low frequencies with K702?. I feel that 702 could use a bit of bump in that area, I have listened to them with Audio-GD FUN but I still feel that the bass is bit lacking even for classic rock sort of music.

I am presuming ur cans are balanced?. Since my cans are unbalanced I am considering DAC-19 with C2. My Ultrasone Pro 750 sounds fantastic with Audio-GD FUN I am sure it will only get better with C2 + DAC19 but I am wondering if it would do any good to K702?.

I tested the K702 unbalanced (with an adapter) out of the Roc: it's not night and day difference, and differences are not in low frequencies. I can honestly say the bass is very good with unbalanced operations.
Also the SE output of the Roc is not at same level with XLR output.
I'm confident the C2 amp can drive properly these cans, and the DAC19 is absolutely great. You'll get wonderful setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back