How loud do you normally listen and for how long?
Jun 17, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #31 of 34

Quote:

After some musician friends started complaining about hearing loss at in their 20s, I started wearing earplugs at concerts and clubs.  Now I often forget to take the plugs, but a ball of tissue paper works as well.  Just make sure the tissue does not hang out of your ear or you will probably never see that date again. :)   

When I got my first quality headphones, I listened too loud.  As my ears adjusted, I would increase the volume, then my ears would adjust, and I turned it up again.  After one loud evening, I had ringing in my ears for days.  I realized I was on the verger of permanent hearing damage.  Now, I turn up the volume until it is a little annoying, then turn it down 10-20%.  When my ears adjust, I do not turn it up again.

Works for me.  I am 57 years old and still have all of my hearing.

:)

This one time, my ears were ringing tremendously after a concert as well (Neurosis, they play extremely loud and I was standing at the front row). When I was driving home I could barely focus on driving and thought I had probably just gotten some permanent hearing damage. it passed the next day or so, but I thought it was weird, I've gone to concerts before without earplugs and they never rang so badly.
I bought some cheap foam earplugs before I went to the next concert, but thought they block to much of the sound and couldn't enjoy the show. Now I'm using Alpine MusicSafe Classic earplugs, with the yellow (maximum) attenuation, and they're great. Thanks for the tip btw, in case I ever forget them, toilet paper is apparently a great alternative :D

Jun 17, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #32 of 34
Moderate volume levels, depending on the song...if i like it, i turn the volume way up. Normally listen music several hours a day, while im working. 

Jun 17, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #34 of 34
I listen for 3-12 hours a day at around 60db +/- 3. I listen to the same volume via headphones or speakers. Sometimes that is a bit higher, but I aim to get progressively lower in volume throughout the day.

I'd guess I'm at about 70db via IEM when playing at church for about 90 minutes. That feels too loud to me, most of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back