How long has your Chinese Tube amplifier lasted you ?
May 20, 2010 at 5:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

brendon

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I am interested in getting a LD MK III but I have this nagging question in my mind regarding the longevity of the amp. If they don't last very long then perhaps I will be better off spending more and getting something better that (should) last (like maybe a Woo ? )

So please let me know how long your Chinese tube headphone amplifiers lasted  (cheaper brands like Little Dot, Darkvoice, Audiotailor, Ming Da etc).

Please note that I am talking about the amp/powersupply dying and not the tubes
smile_phones.gif

Owners of nicer brands like Woo, Zen, Singlepower etc can take a hike !
biggrin.gif

But it would be nice if they could chime in the thread mentioning for how long their amps last (or if they are still running after so many years)

Thanks in advance !
beerchug.gif

May 20, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #3 of 13
I've owned the Little Dot 2+ and 2++.. Both gave me multiple problems within a couple of months. Based on the problems I had, I wouldn't buy Chinese designed and built amplifiers anymore 

May 20, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Owners of nicer brands like Woo, Zen, Singlepower etc can take a hike !
biggrin.gif

May 20, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #6 of 13
tk3, I didn't notice that. lol!  Talk about a train wreck

May 20, 2010 at 9:47 AM Post #7 of 13
Year 2 with MKIII no problems except for the cheap power cable that shorted out.  I had an extra computer power cable available to replace it so that was no real problem for me.

I've never burn out a tube either.  So, don't go crazy on buying tubes.  I know i can be addicting though.  The damn capacitors will likely burn out before one of these tubes do, lol!

May 20, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #9 of 13
I once have the Audiotailor's Jade from March last year, they seem cost effective for what you paid, but it is also for only the bulks you paid. You cannot expect they give you any surprising result.

That's why i have switched to Woo's WA2. Just got it today, will have a detail audition this weekend.
L3000.gif

May 20, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #12 of 13
I have a Little-Dot II+ that I got in the summer of 2006 and a Little-Dot II++ that I got about a year afterward.  Both of them still work for the most part. 

Two resistors (or w/e) inside my Little-Dot II+ are slightly brown/burnt from use but supposedly this is not a problem.  One of the power tube sockets broke but I think that was just due to me changing tubes quite often, I was able to re-solder it.

My Little-Dot II++ is fine but it has become fairly picky about tubes for some reason, I get hissing with all but one pair at this point.  I need to get a new can of deoxit and clean my tubes again to see if that fixes the issue.

May 21, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #13 of 13
Thanks for all the feedback guys.
smile_phones.gif

Its still a bit divided though 2 amps dead within 1 year and 2 amps lasted more than 5 years.

Also I sincerely hope none of Woo and other better brand owners took offense to that statement. It was purely in jest (hence the addition of the Singlepower among them ! )
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back