how long do you spend messing with your EQ
Feb 23, 2008 at 1:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

carmatic

100+ Head-Fier
i cant stop listening to music now that ive settled on this sick eq setting which took me the last who knows how long to pin down

im using a sony mdr sa1000 , and i cant believe i can actually enjoy using them at all, its abit bright at times but at other times it has this surreal, distant quality, almost nothing is perfect about the sound but the beauty of it is that it is much much much better than what it was... i have brought the sound back from beyond the boundaries of tolerance, but the sound has brougth with it some unique qualities which by no means are unwelcome ...

do you guys have and use any form of equalization? are they an integral part of your experience? do you spend more time messing with the eq than you do listening to the music?

Feb 23, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #2 of 43
About one second every time I reinstall the OS.
Which is the time I need to make sure the EQ is turned OFF.

Feb 23, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #4 of 43
About 1 second when for some variety of comedic intent I turn the bass right up on my pre-amp.

Elsewise, its always off, although I have spent time with it in the past trying to correct for faults which experience came to show me were only in my head.

Feb 23, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #6 of 43
I use an Aphex 204 processor with my Denon CDR>Central Station>Corda Cross-1> Woo Audio 3 setup.

There are only 6 knobs per channel and 2 of them I don't change. I've tried using a 31-band EQ and nearly lost my mind.

...forgot to mention- I change settings usually only once per CD.

Feb 23, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #7 of 43
For playback I use no EQ.

However, when I mix, master or remaster, I spend about 10 - 30 minutes on each song trying different EQ points and curves to see what sounds best.

Feb 23, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #8 of 43
i am using vlc media player, and its EQ has a '2 pass' setting which is surprisingly useful for compensating for lousy sound systems, its like the eq changes as the sound changes or something... for example if you turn down one band , it sounds like the adjacent bands rise , its hard to describe, i have no idea whats going on but maybe its limiting the total dynamic range without compressing the details, kind of like a volume limiter but per-band and much more reactive and flexible
when you are listening to a song, some of the sounds stand out so much that its like they are smacking you in the face... the goal of the eq is to let them come at you, but pass by close to you without hitting you...

Feb 23, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #11 of 43
Using headphone out or in the car I will tweak the EQ. Otherwise, all EQ is disabled using digital or analog outputs from my sources to my headphones. I am trying to listen to music the way it was recorded. The assumption is that excessive bass, mids or treble would be enhanced, with no need to fiddle with EQ, if the artists had intended that to be so.

Feb 23, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #13 of 43
Never touch it except to make sure it is off.

cheers
Simon

Feb 23, 2008 at 6:18 AM Post #14 of 43
Instead of messing with the eq, I spend thousands of dollars on amps and sources for a new sound signature.

Feb 23, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #15 of 43
mostly in the bypass position but some for music mastered to sound good on POS systems or on a cheap a*s radio I "tweaK" the curve a bit to get rid of the boom and tizz.I also notice some of the old R&B can use a bass cut and some a treble boost around 10K to sound right on a high res system because they are all,again mixed for radio sound and in this case for AM radio where the top end was 7-8Khz on a GOOD day and the bottom maybe...MAYBE 50-60hz but being tube radios sounded damn fine just the same in an era where it was all about the "song",the vocals and the words which live in the middle.

Nothing large,just 1-2 maybe 3 dB tops

Users who are viewing this thread

Back