How large is the portable amp/DAC community?
May 2, 2009 at 1:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

klb2122

100+ Head-Fier
I'm interested in taking something of a census in hopes of getting a sense of how large this community is.

How many out there have portable amps with built in DACs. I spend a lot of time on subways and see vast numbers of folks with headphones. but I have yet to see someone carrying an amp along with them...

If there seems to be so few portable amp users (at least very few using their amps on-the-go), reason would have it that there might be even fewer portable amp/DAC combo users.

So if you can...

What portable amp/DAC do you use?
and do you use it on the go?

I dont work in marketing, I'm just get odd looks sometimes and I'm wondering how alone i am.

May 2, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #2 of 15
Why not ask in the portable amp forum?
wink.gif

Portable Headphone Amps - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

May 2, 2009 at 9:21 AM Post #3 of 15
^ Yep, that is probably a better place to ask.
FWIW a DAP and amp is nothing special but add a DAC to it and the rig gets 'transportable' rather than portable.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 2, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #4 of 15
I have a pico amp/dac that I use with my ue11 and macbook pro but it's usually away from home in the office or somewhere else at a desk or table (more stationary), but not on the go like jogging or subway. For on the go use, I use my ue11 with my iphone. I have tried to use my pico amp with my ipod on the go, but it's just too much trouble. The ue11 sounds fine without an amp. The only time I use the pico is with the macbook as a dac and amp combo away from home (but stationary).

At home I just use my home symphony corda amp/dac.

May 2, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #5 of 15
There aren't a lot of Head-Fi'ers compared to the general population. Even the most popular stuff here is wildly obscure and esoteric to the general public.

May 3, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There aren't a lot of Head-Fi'ers compared to the general population. Even the most popular stuff here is wildly obscure and esoteric to the general public.

I understand that this is not a "general population" thing. But there are plenty of folks that are members of this community. It's large enough to keep several people, many businesses and loads of reviewers busy, paid and feeling worth while. So while not "general" it is certainly a segment of the public

May 3, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkGood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My pico has DAC, but DAC is for laptop use. Pics below of my i7/pico/ue11 portable rig … does this qualify for your on-the-go census
tongue.gif

100_4348.jpg

center]​

looks like fun!​

May 4, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
looks like fun!

Yes it’s a blast, especially while jamming on your favorite tunes. Skating drainage ditches is normally more fun on skateboards, but this one's a bit ruff and the scooter rides it way smoother :)

May 4, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #11 of 15
If you use amp/dac combo on the go, wouldn't you be using amp section only anyways? I think you will be using amp section of the combo unless you use them with laptop on the go using usb (which is very unlikely) or iRiver daps that has optical out.

Anyways, I use my D2 Boa with my iPhone on the go and use my PowerBook with D2 at library and starbucks.

May 5, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tcp56 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
have pico/amp/dac mostly use it at home with laptop to feed desktop amp. ... ...

Excuse me if I'm wrong but isn't that double amp'in the signal? Or is there a workaround? And how does it sound?

May 5, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #14 of 15
hifidk;5657515 said:
If you use amp/dac combo on the go, wouldn't you be using amp section only anyways? I think you will be using amp section of the combo unless you use them with laptop on the go using usb (which is very unlikely) or iRiver daps that has optical out.

Correct the Dac is only in use through the usb input. still, a good little amp.

May 5, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkGood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excuse me if I'm wrong but isn't that double amp'in the signal? Or is there a workaround? And how does it sound?

It works fine for me..Playing Wav files from my Macbook--pico--Little Dot MkVI se. sounds better than Wav files from my Imod--Vcap dock--Little Dot MkVI se.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back