How is the Beyer DT880 with no amp?
Jul 28, 2004 at 6:26 PM Post #16 of 34
find yourself a cheap integrated amp. there are millions all over the US being not used because everyone has gone to 4.1, 5.1, etc. hook up your audigy 2 to the aux in and the PC speakers to the tape outs. that should tide you over for a few months. amps like marantz 1065 can be found for just over $50 on ebay. look for an amp in your city first. hit the trading posts / hock shops for cheap amps.

Jul 28, 2004 at 8:00 PM Post #17 of 34
Im going to get my DT880 tomorrow, if I am not happy then i'd just send them back. But i'm hoping that they sound good even without amp. And I am going to buy an amp later. But there is almost no place to buy an amp here in Norway :/

Jul 28, 2004 at 10:41 PM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Holmgr3N-
Im going to get my DT880 tomorrow, if I am not happy then i'd just send them back. But i'm hoping that they sound good even without amp. And I am going to buy an amp later. But there is almost no place to buy an amp here in Norway :/

I've never tried the DT880 unamped per se... I did use a receiver to drive them. Despite this, I did enjoy them very much, and their overall sonic character didn't change much at all when I upgraded to my Gilmore V1.

I will admit, however, that when I first got the DT880 I was disappointed upon first listen. The sound definitely had to grow on me, as initially I thought "aw... it just sounds like some headphone."

Jul 29, 2004 at 11:03 AM Post #19 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReDVsion
I've never tried the DT880 unamped per se... I did use a receiver to drive them. Despite this, I did enjoy them very much, and their overall sonic character didn't change much at all when I upgraded to my Gilmore V1.

I will admit, however, that when I first got the DT880 I was disappointed upon first listen. The sound definitely had to grow on me, as initially I thought "aw... it just sounds like some headphone."

But you like them now?

Jul 29, 2004 at 4:34 PM Post #20 of 34
Of course... it didn't take me long to get accustomed, it's just that initially I heard the DT880s as the people who DON'T like them hear them... dull, lifeless, uninteresting. After awhile, they made a complete turnaround on me, and I had some of the most involving listening experiences that I'd ever had.

Jul 29, 2004 at 6:19 PM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Holmgr3N-
there is almost no place to buy an amp here in Norway

I take it that you mean "a dedicated headphone amplifier". I cannot believe that Norway doesn't have portable radios with AUX inputs or stero recievers or home theatre amps.

http://www.naqref.com/earamp.html

Jul 29, 2004 at 7:05 PM Post #23 of 34
First amp I ever used for my dt880s was a supermini. Not a good idea.
icon10.gif
If you get an amp or receiver make sure it has a lot of juice.

Jul 29, 2004 at 7:24 PM Post #24 of 34
Don't let people scare you away. Though you still have plenty of room for improvement, the headphones might not sound that bad coming out of your audigy 2.

As I recall, the audigy 2 seems to have a boosted midrange/bass region that could mate well enough with the dt880's deficiencies to keep you happy until you can afford a good amp.(and better source) Ultimately, you won't know until you listen yourself.

Jul 30, 2004 at 8:20 PM Post #25 of 34
I have had them for 2 days now. I thing they are awsome! Crystal clear sound. With good bass.

How long shall I "burn in" ? I have decided to get an amp, when i have cash
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 31, 2004 at 12:10 AM Post #29 of 34
The Headsave Classic is a common suggestion for those on a budget. You could probably swing a used Gilmore Lite for that much. The Bada hybrids seem to get good reviews and can be had on eBay for ~$200US shipped. I've seen a few MG Heads go for ~$220US used. I haven't ever looked into it, but I'm guessing that you could probably find some pimetas in your price range as well. Lastly, Xin's amps are comfortably within your range, and his SuperMono seems to be shaping up into a really nice, cheap device. That's what I know of, but it certainly isn't comprehensive. I believe that 225 Euro = $270US, so these suggestions might be a little on the cheap side for you (or not, depending on shipping...).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back