How is the Beyer DT880 with no amp?
Jul 27, 2004 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Holmgr3N-

New Head-Fier
I have just ordered the DT880, but i have no money for an amp.
But how does it sound without? I am going to use it right from an Audigy2 soundcard.
I wanted something better than Koss PortaPro and UR-40, it will sound better even without an amp?

This is my first post here.

Jul 27, 2004 at 7:03 PM Post #2 of 34
I'm sorry to tell you this, but I found the Beyer 880s unacceptable without an amp. They are pretty darn difficult to drive straight out of a computer (at least to my ears).

Jul 27, 2004 at 7:11 PM Post #3 of 34
The Beyer 880 sound good to me without a dedicated amp but will sound A LOT better with an amp. Without a dedicated amp you will definately lack some bass and have a rather recessed midrange. Nevertheless, I find them quite enjoyable straight out of my standalone cd player's headphone out.
However, don't even think of running them out of a portable player.

Jul 27, 2004 at 7:14 PM Post #4 of 34
Get an amp if your thinking about the DT880.
600smile.gif

Jul 27, 2004 at 7:15 PM Post #5 of 34
The Dts are anemic without an amp. The dynamics aren't as good and the soundstage is barely acceptable. They are listenable though, but still it'd be a waste. Get an amp ASAP.

Jul 27, 2004 at 7:36 PM Post #6 of 34
How is the Beyer DT880 with no amp?

Mediocre to bad depending on your receiver. If you're trying to power these from a portable or directly a PC soundcard, then comparatively bad to terrible.

Jul 27, 2004 at 8:14 PM Post #7 of 34
unless you use a CD player like Marantz which have a good headphone output.... You definitely will have a hard time trying to use 880 for portable rig without amp..

Jul 27, 2004 at 9:00 PM Post #9 of 34
The DT880 is a good headphone but it is very hard to drive.The best beyerdynamic for your situation would be the DT440 if you can swing an exchange.It is reported to be very easy to drive at 32 ohms.

Jul 27, 2004 at 10:00 PM Post #11 of 34
I really want an excellent headphone, but i have no money for amp. I have Klipsch Promedia 5.1, will it better if i use it from that, connect it to the decoder. Wouldn't that work as an amp? I'm not using the speakers to the computer. The Senn HD600 are well even more heavier to drive?

Jul 27, 2004 at 10:02 PM Post #12 of 34
I don't think it's a bad thing to first buy some headphones that might be underpowered and save some money for a later amp rather than getting a mediocre and easy-to-drive pair of headphones only to discover that you're going to get the good headphones (which you have wanted since the beginning) and the amp anyway. Btw I am not saying that the 440 are mediocre, I'm just generalising the issue.

Jul 28, 2004 at 9:12 AM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Holmgr3N-
I really want an excellent headphone, but i have no money for amp. I have Klipsch Promedia 5.1, will it better if i use it from that, connect it to the decoder. Wouldn't that work as an amp? I'm not using the speakers to the computer. The Senn HD600 are well even more heavier to drive?

The DT880 is even harder to drive than the sennheiser.Do not assume the DT440 is a low performer.Its big brother,(DT860) is the best headphone I have ever heard.

Jul 28, 2004 at 5:49 PM Post #15 of 34
It's a wasting if you don't intend to get some amp. Well, I've been in your situation, but eventually made an amp (it was planned in advance). Well, the changes are not so great, but everything is improved - the imaging, channel separation, the bass is tighter, the highs are more pronounced and clean, more detail is heard etc. One advice - if you get an amp make sure that it has system synergy with the beyer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back