How I Went from 'Disappointed with HD600' to 'HD600-liciously Happy!' 🎶
Oct 4, 2023 at 10:21 PM Post #106 of 109
Technically speaking, the HD600's sensitivity of 97 SPL/mW means that for every milliwatt of power, it can produce a sound pressure level of 97dB.

It is not 97dB for every 1mW like you'll get 194dB if you input 2mW.

It means that for the first 1mW of input you will theoretically be able to hit 97dB, but

1. SPL is logarithmic, the scale is actually doubling the power input for every +3dB. So to theoretically be capable of hitting 100dB it will need 2mW; 103dB will require 4mW; and so on.

2. "Theoretically" because in real world dB measurements, you're not actually getting the rated number off of 1mW. If you did any loudness war recording ie high enough digital gain coming off a 2V line output source and feeding into any amp will have barely any gradation from no audio to OHMYGODSTOPSTOPSTOPSTOPSTOP!!! and more people will have hearing damage. Hell, even a smartphone wouldn't really have a lot of gradation between no audio to hearing damage...I mean sure my SGS3 had that with a 120dB/1mW, 32ohm IEM, but that was more because there's something screwed up in the software (that an Android update fixed about a year later).

This is why you can use an amp with 500mW of power into 300ohms, have +6dB gain, and...still be able to get that volume knob to about 10:00 and have a lot of time rocking out before you start getting hearing damage. I mean sure you're not exactly putting 500mW into that thing but if your amp is capable of doing very low distortion, very low noise 500mW, then you'd be even cleaner at way less than that, but it still wouldn't just be 1mW.

Oct 5, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #107 of 109
It is not 97dB for every 1mW like you'll get 194dB if you input 2mW.

It means that for the first 1mW of input you will theoretically be able to hit 97dB, but

1. SPL is logarithmic, the scale is actually doubling the power input for every +3dB. So to theoretically be capable of hitting 100dB it will need 2mW; 103dB will require 4mW; and so on.

2. "Theoretically" because in real world dB measurements, you're not actually getting the rated number off of 1mW. If you did any loudness war recording ie high enough digital gain coming off a 2V line output source and feeding into any amp will have barely any gradation from no audio to OHMYGODSTOPSTOPSTOPSTOPSTOP!!! and more people will have hearing damage. Hell, even a smartphone wouldn't really have a lot of gradation between no audio to hearing damage...I mean sure my SGS3 had that with a 120dB/1mW, 32ohm IEM, but that was more because there's something screwed up in the software (that an Android update fixed about a year later).

This is why you can use an amp with 500mW of power into 300ohms, have +6dB gain, and...still be able to get that volume knob to about 10:00 and have a lot of time rocking out before you start getting hearing damage. I mean sure you're not exactly putting 500mW into that thing but if your amp is capable of doing very low distortion, very low noise 500mW, then you'd be even cleaner at way less than that, but it still wouldn't just be 1mW.
Well that's good to know. The extent of my experience and knowledge of headphones and related topics goes back about a week. I just liked my PC360, which broke and brought me here when the HD600 didn't initially sound as good. I'm sure I'll soon know all about logarithmic, etc.

Oct 5, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #108 of 109
Well that's good to know. The extent of my experience and knowledge of headphones and related topics goes back about a week. I just liked my PC360, which broke and brought me here when the HD600 didn't initially sound as good. I'm sure I'll soon know all about logarithmic, etc.
your headphone knowledge will grow exponentially 🤣

Oct 21, 2023 at 10:34 PM Post #109 of 109
I purchased the PC38X, and it feels like an enhanced version of the PC360. Its soundstage and imaging outshine the HD600, and I genuinely prefer its audio quality. Due to rumors about the cessation of the PC38X's production, I've opted to buy a second one. As a result, I returned the HD600 and its accompanying amp, netting a savings of $500.

The PC38X perfectly suits my needs, whether it's for Zoom calls at work, editing my binaural audio, or simply enjoying music straight from my Apple devices. I'm considering headphones in the $1500 bracket just to see what all the fuss is about, but today isn't that day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back