How I got to my my happy place, (formerly the how to spend $3000 thread)
Nov 25, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #137 of 188

This is what I have now...

So Skylab sold to another buyer, leaving me to replace my Meier with the Schiit Asgard and Cardas Power cable.  This will be my finial rig until the "time" comes to do the dirty deed.  Bellow you'll find my current consideration on what amp to buy, I am very happy with my current headphones, cables, and source, so an Amp will be the only priority to replace.  Now that thats the case, it will help to narrow down the topic of disscussion, and I'll change the title to reflect that.

Current considerations...

DNA Sonnet (tricked out by DNA as much as possible for $2-3000.00.)

Woo Audio 5LE

TTVJ Peak with Volcano power supply.

Luxman SQ-N100.

Nov 26, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #139 of 188
Any reason you're opposed to Eddie Current? Having spoken with several of my contacts who know a hell of a lot more than I do about amplifiers (topology, parts, value, etc.) they are some of the best values in high end amps. Craig is doing some really revolutionary stuff with his designs. I'll look through a discussion I had about it, and post some of the relevant info if you're interested. I myself now own the Zana Deux SE and I'm utterly blown away by the quality for the price.

I'll be honest: I'm not a fan of Woo. My experience dealing with ownership of the WA22 has been less than satisfactory to put it lightly. That's blasphemy around here, so I'll just shut up about that before someone calls in the hit. 
rolleyes.gif
 Objectively speaking, do consider that 300B tubes can be very expensive. Along with upgrades, you're looking at over $3,000.

The Millett Apex Peak seems like a great little amp from what I've heard from people who've tried it. Same with the Sonett. I haven't listened to either yet, but they're on my list of amps to try.

The Luxman would be my other recommendation besides Eddie Current. I've listened to the SQ-N100 with the matching D-N100 CD player (not in my rig), and I was quite impressed. The build quality is ridiculous. Plus it seems like you've had your eye on it for a while now.... why not go for it?

Nov 26, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #140 of 188
When I heard the ZD I was none to impressed.  This was however at meet conditions where impressions are always tinted by the noise and other unfamiliar gear.  I would have to hear one again to get a better idea of what it actually sounds like.  

And theres a reason the Luxmans still on the list... just remember were still 4.5 months away from graduation. 

Thanks for the input.

Nov 26, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #141 of 188

Quote:
When I heard the ZD I was none to impressed.  This was however at meet conditions where impressions are always tinted by the noise and other unfamiliar gear.  I would have to hear one again to get a better idea of what it actually sounds like.  

And theres a reason the Luxmans still on the list... just remember were still 4.5 months away from graduation. 

Thanks for the input.

I'd be curious to know what source was plugged into the Zana Deux you heard. It's pretty neutral for a tube amp, so it'll really show a source's and recording's faults more than a lot of other more "tubey" amps. That's another plus for the Luxman: the tone controls really even out less-than-steller source material without overdoing it like EQ can.

Nov 26, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #142 of 188
Quote:
Any reason you're opposed to Eddie Current? Having spoken with several of my contacts who know a hell of a lot more than I do about amplifiers (topology, parts, value, etc.) they are some of the best values in high end amps. Craig is doing some really revolutionary stuff with his designs. I'll look through a discussion I had about it, and post some of the relevant info if you're interested. I myself now own the Zana Deux SE and I'm utterly blown away by the quality for the price.

Absolutely.  Serious amp geeks usually build their own and/or buy Moth/Eddie Current gear.  The Zana's circuit is rather different from anything else on the market and the build quality is excellent.  I poked around and restored many old radios and assorted tube gear before getting into hi-fi.  The Zana is built the same way the best gear was in the tube "golden age."  Circuit aside, there's a whole different art to layout and construction that doesn't show up in schematics.  Everything has to be laid out correctly, consideration given to heat, grounding and ground plane, and much else.  The Zana gets all of this right, as well.

There are very few amps out there that hit on all cylinders the way this one does.  You could probably count them on one hand.

I don't find much of a particular sound to the Zana, either.  It certainly reveals whether I'm running tubes or solid state on the phono stage, but I find it neutral with the pretty darned neutral SACD player.  It might be hard to appreciate this quality until you've spent awhile listening to colored gear.  The colored stuff can be fun at first, but you eventually get tired of it.  The thing about neutral gear is that it takes awhile before you notice how little it does wrong, because that quality won't jump out in your face on first listen.

The same thing happened to me when I started running the Quad ESL-63s.  They don't jump out at you as spectacular.  But disc after disc, hour after hour, you notice that the Quads don't screw anything up.  They sound natural and wonderful throughout.  It was nothing like when I got the RS-1s.  Those were mind-blowing about 30 seconds in and I stayed up all night listening to them.  Lots of fun and I loved them.

But then I eventually burned out on the RS-1.  I kept going back to the HD-600.  The HD-600 wasn't as exciting, but it gets pretty much everything right.  I could listen for hours without getting distracted by coloration.  And now, the HD-800 does the same for me.

So before I get way too off topic, give Eddie Current/Moth a chance.  Always the most innovative, excellent build quality and the prices are a lot lower than what they could be.

Nov 26, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #143 of 188
My advice - sell all of your Cardas cables, the MusicStreamer and current amp.  That would raise your budget by about $1000, for that, get a good DAC, like the North Star m192 or DAC32 or perhaps an Audio-GD Reference 7 or 8.  After that, your budget should still get you a custom Beta22 built or another high-end production amp like the Zana Deux.

If you really must stick to only those 4 amp choices and don't want to change anything else (which I'd say is quite a limiting decision and not the most efficient use of funds), I have only heard the top two and between the two, I'd say I enjoyed the Woo amp more.

Nov 26, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #144 of 188
Another happy Zana Duex owner here.  Every time i go away and come back to it i realize how breathtaking it is.  So transparent, just amazing.  Even after over a year and a half owning I never tire of it.  Craig is an amp guru.  People at the last meet who never liked the 800s said they finally understand why many of us do after hearing them thru the Zana.

Nov 26, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #146 of 188
I just found out that I may have a Singlepower Extreme Platinum on the way!  I"ll cancel my order for the Asgard and Twinlink PC if its the case.  Fingers crossed.

Nov 26, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #147 of 188

Quote:
Quote:

Absolutely.  Serious amp geeks usually build their own and/or buy Moth/Eddie Current gear.  The Zana's circuit is rather different from anything else on the market and the build quality is excellent.  I poked around and restored many old radios and assorted tube gear before getting into hi-fi.  The Zana is built the same way the best gear was in the tube "golden age."  Circuit aside, there's a whole different art to layout and construction that doesn't show up in schematics.  Everything has to be laid out correctly, consideration given to heat, grounding and ground plane, and much else.  The Zana gets all of this right, as well.

There are very few amps out there that hit on all cylinders the way this one does.  You could probably count them on one hand.

I don't find much of a particular sound to the Zana, either.  It certainly reveals whether I'm running tubes or solid state on the phono stage, but I find it neutral with the pretty darned neutral SACD player.  It might be hard to appreciate this quality until you've spent awhile listening to colored gear.  The colored stuff can be fun at first, but you eventually get tired of it.  The thing about neutral gear is that it takes awhile before you notice how little it does wrong, because that quality won't jump out in your face on first listen.

The same thing happened to me when I started running the Quad ESL-63s.  They don't jump out at you as spectacular.  But disc after disc, hour after hour, you notice that the Quads don't screw anything up.  They sound natural and wonderful throughout.  It was nothing like when I got the RS-1s.  Those were mind-blowing about 30 seconds in and I stayed up all night listening to them.  Lots of fun and I loved them.

But then I eventually burned out on the RS-1.  I kept going back to the HD-600.  The HD-600 wasn't as exciting, but it gets pretty much everything right.  I could listen for hours without getting distracted by coloration.  And now, the HD-800 does the same for me.

So before I get way too off topic, give Eddie Current/Moth a chance.  Always the most innovative, excellent build quality and the prices are a lot lower than what they could be.

This is so true, and exactly how I felt about the Amphora.  I only sold it because with the sensitive headphones I had at the time, there was to much background hiss generated by the amp.  But otherwise I got the same feeling about it.

Nov 26, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #148 of 188
Of the amps pictured and discussed, I've enjoyed the Sonnet, WA5, and Zana Deux.  However I wouldn't recommend one of these amps until you've upgraded your headphones.  The best amp in the world won't magically turn the K702/MDRv6 into a high end setup IMO.  Try to take a look at planar headphones.  If you don't like doing a little research, then skip over Stax and check out orthos.  The LCD2 would be an excellent choice at your budget level and you'd have enough left over to get a decent manufactured amp or a really nice DIY amp.

Nov 26, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #149 of 188
I have no illusions that my 702s or V6s are the top of the line, end of the road headphones, but I like them enough to not have the upgraditus for a while.  And with the Singlepower Extreme Paltinum maybe comming my way, the money could indeed be spent better on better headphones or a better source.  Yup, your right on n3rdling!

Nov 27, 2010 at 8:18 AM Post #150 of 188
It would seem that Blessingx's Singlepower Extreme Platinum will be mine here soon.  

Honestly... that about does me in.

I'll have a source I love, 
An amp that is exceptional,
headphones I really like the sigs of, 
and a music library organized DavidMahler style to help make it all fun!

The only thing I would still plan on changing is perhaps a better source, and to have NikonGod take a look at the singlepower, and see if he can work his magic on it.  

WOW!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back