How good is the Woo Audio WA7 built-in DAC? Is it as good as Schiit Bifrost?
Jul 6, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #16 of 55
Quote:
Seems something is amiss with your WA7 setup? Haven't experienced those issues in my two initial weeks of listening (Audirvana Plus (Integer bit perfect stream) on MBPr 10.8.4 + cheap USB cable).

Yea its something with the driver, I use Windows 7, but since i use the ODAC, I didn't care to trouble shoot it. I like the way the odac sounds with the wa7, comparing with the wa7 dac the few times i was able to listen, odac sounded more open to me. 

Jul 7, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #17 of 55
Quote:
That's the way to do it. When people ask how better A is from B the answers are all down to personal taste. I drink coke and pepsi, but have no idea which taste better. Same with most DACs.

I had Burson DA-160, then I switched to PS Audio PWD MK1 the difference is huge, sound changed from 480p to at least 1080p. Keep in mind I kept same amp and same source. DAC makes huge difference in sound delivered to your ears.

Jul 8, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #18 of 55
I have a Weiss Minerva DAC and have done an A/B comparison as follows:

WA7 connected directly to my mac mini via USB
WA7 connected via RCA to the Weiss Minerva which is connected via Firewire to mac mini

The latter was significantly more transparent; however, it may not be a fair comparison as the Weiss was originally a $5,000 stand alone DAC.

Aug 19, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #20 of 55
Quote:
If you do decide to go with the WA7, I'd recommend upgrading to the Electro Harmonix gold pin tubes on the Woo website. Yeah, it's another $100.00; but the gold pins are richer and warmer sounding than the stock Sovtek's so would be a better match for the Sennheiser (at least for the HD800's, again, can't say that I've heard the HD700's).

I agree, and suggest the Electro Harmonix tube upgrade as well.  I found that they also make the WA7 more lively and engaging in terms of detail once you hit the mids, and they definitely contribute some air and open-ness up top in the highs.  In fact, I would recommend that people consider the tube upgrades as part and parcel of the purchase.

As for the OP's question, I found the DAC to be quite competent.  It's not the best DAC I've ever heard - and I do think 32/192 is a bit overkill - but the DAC's performance never gets in the way of my enjoyment.  I've never compared it to a Bifrost though.

Sep 15, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #21 of 55
  Ok so it sounds like a decent DAC. I'll have to compare it with the ODAC once I get the WA7. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 700. Anyone have experience with those and the WA7? I'm thinking about eventually also getting the Bottlehead Crack mainly cuz it's legendary for Sennheisers, and the idea was to connect the DAC of the WA7 with the Bottlehead Crack.

I should probably make a thread in the amps section, but since we're here, anyone know if the Bottlehead Crack would even be an upgrade over the WA7 for Sennheiser headphones?

How is the WA7 for the HD700?

Sep 15, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #22 of 55
It's pretty good for the HD700. I find it better paired than even the Crack. But the Crack pairs better with other headphones like my Beyerdynamic T90. Personally, I find that pairing to be better than HD700 and WA7 pairing, and it's like half the price.

Oct 11, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #23 of 55

That's the way to do it. When people ask how better A is from B the answers are all down to personal taste. I drink coke and pepsi, but have no idea which taste better. Same with most DACs.

I agree as it applies to DACs, but as for soda itself.... Coke is better 
gs1000.gif

Dec 4, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #24 of 55
Anyone end up comparing this DAC section to a bifrost/uberfrost yet?

Dec 4, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #25 of 55
Considering a mid level dac around 1k as my next upgrade. Would be cool to hear some comparisons.

Dec 4, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #26 of 55
I've not heard any DACs in the pricier range. Recently I got the Audioengine D3 for portable use, but I found it to be the most revealing DAC I've heard yet. To me it's better than Schiit Modi, ODAC, Firestone Audio Spitfire HD, and the WA7 DAC. Those 4 DACs were hard to really differentiate which one sounded better or was more revealing, but I can tell the D3 is definitely a step above those. I originally had intended to use the D3 with my phone via USB OTG, but it didn't work and I was gonna return it, but after more listening I just find it straight up to be the best DAC I own/heard, so I'm keeping it.

Dec 5, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #27 of 55
  I've not heard any DACs in the pricier range. Recently I got the Audioengine D3 for portable use, but I found it to be the most revealing DAC I've heard yet. To me it's better than Schiit Modi, ODAC, Firestone Audio Spitfire HD, and the WA7 DAC. Those 4 DACs were hard to really differentiate which one sounded better or was more revealing, but I can tell the D3 is definitely a step above those. I originally had intended to use the D3 with my phone via USB OTG, but it didn't work and I was gonna return it, but after more listening I just find it straight up to be the best DAC I own/heard, so I'm keeping it.

Good to know, thanks.

The DA8 seems to be getting a lot of praise. That is the one I'm currently looking at right now.

Jan 17, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #28 of 55
i was thinking about Resonessence lab's CONCERO as a DAC for the WA7, will i get a noticeable difference? or i will end up wasting 600$ ??

Mar 18, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #30 of 55
Just got my WA7. I'm currently running it with my beresford bushmasker mk1 but haven't yet tried using the full WA7 DAC/amp combo yet.

I did find that the bushmaster (DAC/AMP) produced more bass but reduced sound stage on my HD800 than when hooked up to the WA7 amp section.

My Ultrasone 900 Pro sounded AWESOME on the wa7/bushmaster combo though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back