How good is the Woo Audio WA7 built-in DAC? Is it as good as Schiit Bifrost?
Mar 31, 2014 at 6:13 AM Post #31 of 55
how does this do with the HE-500? looking for a nice looking amp dac combo thats flexible enough for IEM use. with that... im not looking at the lyr/bifrost uber combo much anymore.

looking at the asgard 2/bifrost uber or the WA7. also checked the burson conductor but at 1,850 usd or so its too pricey.

Dec 30, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #32 of 55
Reviving this thread. Anyone got a chance to compare the Bifrost with the WA7 to see how the DAC portion compares?

dL

Dec 31, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #33 of 55
  Reviving this thread. Anyone got a chance to compare the Bifrost with the WA7 to see how the DAC portion compares?

dL

Do consider that there would be analog cables involved e.g. RCA and power cord when using an external DAC with WA7 which does effect the overall sound.  IMHO, less is more.

To get real high-end sound from a DAC you would need to buy either WDS-1 or the McIntosh D100 (my personal reference DAC).  The McIntosh is $2500 and I'm using Nordost cables on the entire system.  

I've compared WA7's internal DAC against DACs costing up to $1000.  I won't mention the brands and models here.  There are pros and cons to each DAC, but the overall result was WA7's internal DAC is musical and is no slouch against external DACs that cost as much as WA7.

Those who knows me here knows I have a LOT of gear in my personal collection so I have a little experience.  
wink.gif

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #34 of 55

Do consider that there would be analog cables involved e.g. RCA and power cord when using an external DAC with WA7 which does effect the overall sound.  IMHO, less is more.

To get real high-end sound from a DAC you would need to buy either WDS-1 or the McIntosh D100 (my personal reference DAC).  The McIntosh is $2500 and I'm using Nordost cables on the entire system.  

I've compared WA7's internal DAC against DACs costing up to $1000.  I won't mention the brands and models here.  There are pros and cons to each DAC, but the overall result was WA7's internal DAC is musical and is no slouch against external DACs that cost as much as WA7.

Those who knows me here knows I have a LOT of gear in my personal collection so I have a little experience.  
wink.gif

I'm glad to hear that I've owned my wa7d for about 2 weeks now and think it's awesome sounding..

Feb 13, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #35 of 55
i'll have an opportunity to do a comparison against my Schiit Lyr 2 & Bifrost Uber once my WA7+WA7tp arrives if you are still curious.

edit: probably be a while though. massdrop hahah.

Feb 13, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #39 of 55
Yeah but now Massdrop has become, "Slightly Cheaper than Amazon but shipping takes a month."

omgg... it legit takes forever sometimess!!!! i sometimes forget that i even ordered the item by the time it arrivals. rly only use it if the deal price is significantly better & im not in a rush.

Jun 19, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #40 of 55
  i'll have an opportunity to do a comparison against my Schiit Lyr 2 & Bifrost Uber once my WA7+WA7tp arrives if you are still curious.

edit: probably be a while though. massdrop hahah.

Ever get a chance to do this comparison? I'm looking to buy either of those setups for my Fostex TH900 next week!

Jun 19, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #41 of 55
  Ever get a chance to do this comparison? I'm looking to buy either of those setups for my Fostex TH900 next week!

yes, but haven't written out detailed comparisons. Below is my attempt to write an unbiased comparison, but do note that I personally prefer the Schiit stack for my tastes.

The WA7+WA7tp has a noticeably warmer sound signature with extra hint of richness and lushness throughout. It seems to have noticeably more tube coloration (more euphonic tube distortion). The Lyr 2 + Bifrost Uber sounds cleaner to my ears. The WA7+WA7tp's built in dac is noticeably not as resolving and capable as the Bifrost Uber, so I normally run both the Lyr 2 and WA7+WA7tp out of the Bifrost Uber. The differences in coloration between the amplifiers are still very significant and noticeable (relative to the scale of differences found between external components) while using the same dac. The WA7+Wa7tp has a more intimate presentation and smaller sound stage. Can sound relatively closed in and congested in a direct comparison, but its sound stage is most likely not deficient without a direct comparison against something else. Notes on the WA7+WA7tp have fun blurring sensation to their edges with longer decay times and less spacing between notes for that organic presentation. Imaging not as precise as well (but again, this is only in a direct side-by-side comparison). Unlikely to be unhappy with the imaging if not doing comparisons. The WA7+WA7tp does sound unique and different from any other gear I have tried. Very enjoyable and pleasant sound, but not as transparent as other options. Will add an very pleasing liquid smoothness and blurring effect to all your headphones. Notable fun and nice pairings (imo) would be with the LCD-X. The WA7+WA7tp really enhance the LCD-X's sonic strengths and make for a quite enjoyable experience.

The Lyr 2 + Bifrost Uber combination sounds remarkably similar to the solid state Oppo HA-1 from my direct comparisons. The only things I could consistently identify was that the HA-1 has a subtle bit more bass extension and they have a subtly different treble presentation. I would personally lean towards getting the HA-1, but since the costs & sound is so similar and I would have to take a hit to resell the Lyr 2 & Bifrost Uber, I decided against it. Basically, those two set-ups sound about the same for all practical purposes. The Schiit set-up has a quite clean and clear presentation with only an extremely subtle sense of "tubey-ness." Very strong technical performer.

Tube rolling so far has not made as significant of a difference in sound as the statements made on the forums suggest. Extremely subtle changes that are quite difficult for me to detect and appreciate. The inherent differences between the WA7+WA7tp against the Lyr 2+Bifrost Uber is much greater in my opinion, and I am skeptical that you would be able to find a tube to make one sound like the other.

Performance:price ratio, I would personally give to the Schiit stack as it is significantly cheaper MSRP, but you can find the WA7+WA7tp at discount for a closer price point. I ended up keeping the Lyr 2 + Bifrost Uber as my only desktop set-up as I like to spend time running a lot of direct comparisons between various headphones and I feel like that option allows me to pick up on the inherent strengths and flaws of headphones better, while the WA7+WA7tp can make thin sounding peaky headphones sound lush and smooth.

Do note these are my subjective personal impressions from long-time ownership of both and quite a few extensive direct back-and-forth comparisons. As always, feel free to disagree with my assessment and remember that YMMV! Hope this was helpful! Cheers :)

Jun 20, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #42 of 55
  yes, but haven't written out detailed comparisons. Below is my attempt to write an unbiased comparison, but do note that I personally prefer the Schiit stack for my tastes.

The WA7+WA7tp has a noticeably warmer sound signature with extra hint of richness and lushness throughout. It seems to have noticeably more tube coloration (more euphonic tube distortion). The Lyr 2 + Bifrost Uber sounds cleaner to my ears. The WA7+WA7tp's built in dac is noticeably not as resolving and capable as the Bifrost Uber, so I normally run both the Lyr 2 and WA7+WA7tp out of the Bifrost Uber. The differences in coloration between the amplifiers are still very significant and noticeable (relative to the scale of differences found between external components) while using the same dac. The WA7+Wa7tp has a more intimate presentation and smaller sound stage. Can sound relatively closed in and congested in a direct comparison, but its sound stage is most likely not deficient without a direct comparison against something else. Notes on the WA7+WA7tp have fun blurring sensation to their edges with longer decay times and less spacing between notes for that organic presentation. Imaging not as precise as well (but again, this is only in a direct side-by-side comparison). Unlikely to be unhappy with the imaging if not doing comparisons. The WA7+WA7tp does sound unique and different from any other gear I have tried. Very enjoyable and pleasant sound, but not as transparent as other options. Will add an very pleasing liquid smoothness and blurring effect to all your headphones. Notable fun and nice pairings (imo) would be with the LCD-X. The WA7+WA7tp really enhance the LCD-X's sonic strengths and make for a quite enjoyable experience.

The Lyr 2 + Bifrost Uber combination sounds remarkably similar to the solid state Oppo HA-1 from my direct comparisons. The only things I could consistently identify was that the HA-1 has a subtle bit more bass extension and they have a subtly different treble presentation. I would personally lean towards getting the HA-1, but since the costs & sound is so similar and I would have to take a hit to resell the Lyr 2 & Bifrost Uber, I decided against it. Basically, those two set-ups sound about the same for all practical purposes. The Schiit set-up has a quite clean and clear presentation with only an extremely subtle sense of "tubey-ness." Very strong technical performer.

Tube rolling so far has not made as significant of a difference in sound as the statements made on the forums suggest. Extremely subtle changes that are quite difficult for me to detect and appreciate. The inherent differences between the WA7+WA7tp against the Lyr 2+Bifrost Uber is much greater in my opinion, and I am skeptical that you would be able to find a tube to make one sound like the other.

Performance:price ratio, I would personally give to the Schiit stack as it is significantly cheaper MSRP, but you can find the WA7+WA7tp at discount for a closer price point. I ended up keeping the Lyr 2 + Bifrost Uber as my only desktop set-up as I like to spend time running a lot of direct comparisons between various headphones and I feel like that option allows me to pick up on the inherent strengths and flaws of headphones better, while the WA7+WA7tp can make thin sounding peaky headphones sound lush and smooth.

Do note these are my subjective personal impressions from long-time ownership of both and quite a few extensive direct back-and-forth comparisons. As always, feel free to disagree with my assessment and remember that YMMV! Hope this was helpful! Cheers :)

This helps a ton thanks a bunch! Answers my plan for what I want to buy :)

Jul 25, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #43 of 55
  I have the ODAC, and to me it sounds better than the dac on the WA7, But i didn't bought the WA7 for its dac, lol. I get a lot of chirps and the sound breaks a lot, like pressing the pause bottom in rapid sequence. Odac not a single problem music just sound good and more cleaner. 

I have noticed that too, although it happens only when the PC driving it is under heavy load, and it's only an occasional choke. Never experienced this on my NFB-5.

In the manual it mentions to disable large buffering on your pc media player to avoid choking issues.  Maybe this is the cause of your problem?

Mar 23, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #45 of 55
Doubtful on the Mod I.. however the Bifrost 4490 is turning out to be a complete price to performance monster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back