How good is the DAC in "MOVE"??
Jul 12, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #3 of 33
I'll fill you guys in, and compare it directly to an Indigo DJ....

Should be intresting.

Jul 12, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #4 of 33
much appreciated.
biggrin.gif

Jul 12, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #5 of 33
The DAC in MOVE is far better than the X-Fi, after the comparison, you should notified the sound from X-Fi is muddy and compressed. FYI, the DAC in MOVE is same as the one in the famous CORDA OPREA.

Jul 12, 2007 at 6:04 AM Post #6 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by ManAtWork /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DAC in MOVE is far better than the X-Fi, after the comparison, you should notified the sound from X-Fi is muddy and compressed. FYI, the DAC in MOVE is same as the one in the famous CORDA OPREA.

Do you know how it compares to a hardmodded X-Fi?

Jul 12, 2007 at 7:47 AM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by ManAtWork /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I beleive that the DAC chip used in the Move (PCM2704) is only used as a USB interface in the Opera. The Opera seems to use the PCM1794 for the DAC.

The PCM2704 is used as a DAC in the Aria and Porta Corda MK III though. So perhaps feedback on those could be helpful.

Jul 12, 2007 at 3:01 PM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElDanno /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I beleive that the DAC chip used in the Move (PCM2704) is only used as a USB interface in the Opera. The Opera seems to use the PCM1794 for the DAC.

The PCM2704 is used as a DAC in the Aria and Porta Corda MK III though. So perhaps feedback on those could be helpful.

I thought the DAC on the MkIII did a pretty good job with my headphones. I was impressed enough to get an Opera for home.

Jul 12, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you know how it compares to a hardmodded X-Fi?

Haven't got a mod X-Fi to try, but I don't think it can match the MOVE, because it is not only the DAC issue but also the quality of amplifying circuit.

Jul 12, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the DAC on the MkIII did a pretty good job with my headphones. I was impressed enough to get an Opera for home.

You're right, thank you for your correction.
wink.gif

Jul 19, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElDanno /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm skeptical of portable amps like the move and bithead (not to mention the alien dac) using the cheap and relatively low-grade dacs in USB receivers rather than feeding the receiver signal to a proper dac chip. Look at the stats of a pcm2702 dac section versus a 1794 dedicated dac:

16 bit versus 24 bit,
100dB dynamic range vs. 129dB;
distortion of 0.002 percent vs. 0.0004;
sampling rates up to 48kHz vs. 200kHz.

And you don't need to shell out for an Opera to get that performance, the chip is available in a hippohifi Bloat for under $200, including a dedicated amp section with choice of opamp and capacitors. Too bad the bloat I just got has a flaw in the mini jack soldering, or I'd be able to tell you more about how it stacks up in real terms as well.

Jul 19, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #13 of 33
I'm glad the integrated Amp/DAC solution is getting more popular. I'd like to see how the Move compares to the upcoming HeadAmp Amp/DAC and whatever might succeed the Headroom Total BitHead (seeing as its so heavily discounted right now).

Jul 19, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #14 of 33
I think the design of the MOVE is meant to be "MOVE". It sits somewhere between the pc soundcard DAC and a proper DAC, which means when you are out on travel with your laptop (lossless source), then the MOVE will keep you reasonably entertained, while you are at home, perhaps a proper DAC with a desktop amp is a better option if really picking on SQ.

Jul 19, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #15 of 33
facelvega: It depends on what you're expecting from the DAC, but as far as a PC based solution they are quite adequate. For instance the AlienDAC is just about a notch below the EMU 0404 in sound quality from what I've heard and what others have reported even though the EMU 0404 has a 'superior' DAC (AK4396). The reason for this is because implementation of the DAC goes very far in determining the final SQ. This is something the Alien DAC (PCM2702) and Jan Meier with the Aria (PCM2704, same as the Move) have achieved.

Relative to the quality of the Amp in the Move, distortion of 0.002 and 100dB dynamic range are not going to make a big difference. Not to mention 24bit and 200khz sampling rates won't be a big deal for typical 16bit/44.1khz CD audio.

If you want something closer to the Opera in a portable package, HeadAmp showed something at the recent MD/VA/DC here. It's supposed to have a 24bit/192kHz DAC but such quality will cost $500.

At $235, the Move is an incredible value providing a Hornet/PRII level amp (according to Skylab's review) with a very decent USB DAC. All things considered, the Move is pretty hard to beat. I'm looking to replace my Headfive/NC 203.2 setup with it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back