How good is the bass on HD598s supposed to be?
Jul 4, 2011 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Xaviax

New Head-Fier
Maybe I'm just REALLY sensitive to bass but the bass on these cans sounds really overwhelming to me. Like it causes my ears to ache after a while in a bass-heavy song.

Jul 4, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #2 of 13
Do you have an eq turned on? Compared to ibud's they will have a ton of bass. Compared to most higher-end headphones they are a little light on bass. If you are coming from ibuds it may take you a while to adjust to the lower frequencies. 

Jul 4, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #4 of 13
Wow, this is new. Are you sure they are genuine?

Which headphones did you listen before to? I love the HD598s bass but if this amount of bass hurts you, something is wrong. Don't ever try Ultrasones then :)

Same question as poster before: did you deactivate any "sound enhancers"? Which setup are you using and which sources and songs?

Cheers,
K

Jul 4, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #6 of 13
Ye, turn off your EQ man~ the only explanation 

Jul 5, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #10 of 13
Mine were decent. They didn't have a lot of "umph" to them, and they don't come close to Beats if that's what your comparing too.

I thought it was a bit on the Low side personally, but not a deal beaker.

Jul 5, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #11 of 13
yea, that makes no sense to me and cant explain it, a possibility is that they are broken or breaking, as mine as doing similar things.  But mine are not bass heavy, they are just bass thick and muddy now

Jul 5, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #13 of 13
Plug them into a better source. They will sound very muddy and sluggish out of a crappy source, because of the impedance spike around 80 Hz. Check out the headroom graphs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back