How good can $15.53 sound??
Jan 27, 2009 at 4:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

TopPop

Headphoneus Supremus
Pretty dang good, actually.

Modded Sony MDR-EX85 Chinese knock-offs.

The buds can be found here, at Focal Price (the page says "genuine", but I'm almost sure they're not...). $15.53, including shipping. Not bad. They're pretty comfy, too, and come with 4 sizes of rubber tips, and a small carrying bag.

DSC_0292.jpg

The mods were simple: I just did the ones that Kramer recommended for the JVC marshmallows (which worked well for them, too). This involved removing the paper filter, and inserting a small piece of headphone pad foam into the tube. That's it. Did wonders for evening out the bass response. Still needs a bit of eq-ing, but they really do sound fantastic for $15! I don't care if they're rip offs!
biggrin.gif

Highly recommended for those on a tight budget, or looking for throw-arounds.

Jan 27, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xan7hos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how's the sound signature like? Do they remind you of any other 'phones?

That's kind of tough to say, since I don't have a lot of experience with earphones. I can say a couple of things about them, though...

1) They have a very warm, laid-back sound. Although there is much detail to my ears, detail freaks, and those who love a treble-tipped signature may want to stay clear of these.

2) They are similar to the Marshmallows, yet with a much improved soundstage (in all respects). The two phones need very similar eq-ing: dropped bass, with a "fairly" linear rise up to the treble.

3) To my ears, and in my system: what a deppoded Altec Lansing im716 is to a Beyerdynamic DT-880 (2003), these modded "Sony"s are to a Sennheiser HD-600.

Hope that helps?

Jan 27, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 19
Regardless of how they sound, if they are suspected knockoff than they should not be recommended, at all. It is already bad enough with all the look-alike in the market, the least we can do is not encouraging piracy in plain sight!

Jan 27, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #5 of 19
Oops! That the end of this thread (LOL)!
regular_smile .gif

Jan 27, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #7 of 19
Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize that was a violation.

I apologize. Mods, please delete this thread.

Jan 27, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by irjoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but i think its worthy to mention you have 1,337 posts atm

biggrin.gif

cheers

True. So, at least I'm not completely "trolling", right?
wink.gif

Although, I really do apologize: I can clearly see the ethical implications of this in hindsight, which I, admittedly, failed to recognize when I wrote the original post.

Jan 27, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #10 of 19
I got the real deal, and they sound goooood for the price! The Kramer mod really does these things justice
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #12 of 19
we dont know if its knock offs or not do we? Any reason to suspect it is.

Jan 28, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by member1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
we dont know if its knock offs or not do we? Any reason to suspect it is.

I thought that they were real at first, but when they arrived I found that the pouch doesn't say "Sony" on it, and the right-angle plug just says "CHINA".

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the real pouch has the Sony name, and the plug either doesn't say CHINA or says "Sony" on it. Not sure.

Jan 28, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #14 of 19
SONY - Australia

angle plug looks like that?

what about the packaging? Does it look like sony type...

Jan 28, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by member1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SONY - Australia

angle plug looks like that?

Can't tell... the CHINA is on the other side...

Everything else looks the same, as far as I can tell. Maybe they are real?
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back