How full is your ignore list?
Dec 18, 2004 at 3:43 AM Post #76 of 248
Quote:

Originally Posted by daycart1
HawHaw, Merton! That bike post was almost as wack as his stuff here.
icon10.gif

So you remember him then? I liked kelly's posts although I can see why he didn't get many birthday greets.

Dec 18, 2004 at 5:30 AM Post #77 of 248
I think the very idea of an ignore list is rather stupid, personally. If someone is truly being a problem (*cough*Merton*cough*) the mods will deal with that user. But why impose a personal ban on a member simply because you disagree with them, or find them annoying? Without diversity a group, be it physical or virtual, will fall.

Empty Ignore List since joinDate();

Dec 18, 2004 at 7:28 AM Post #78 of 248
I've only got one person who has ever been on any of my internet ignore lists, and it's not for Head-Fi. I posted something funny, and he sent me PM about it in which he was a complete pompous ass. After half a dozen attempts to PM him back to tell him to chill, all of which were unsuccessful because his mailbox was full (a pet peeve of mine anyway, when somebody PMs you and you can't reply because they keep their box full), I dumped him onto my ignore list. It was the only recourse I had really, since I couldn't straighten things out, couldn't just tell him to stick it, and didn't really want to see his posts anymore after that.

Dec 18, 2004 at 9:33 AM Post #80 of 248
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallijonn
I fell out of my chair, laughing so hard; tears were coming out of my eyes.

You have a great sense of humour. I hope I'm not the only one who has noticed it. It is much appreciated.

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif
You make me blush.

Dec 18, 2004 at 5:27 PM Post #81 of 248
I think it's a little unfair putting someone in your ignore list unless that person is really abusive, or prejudice in anyway.

I have the greatest respect for every member in this group, and I don't judge anybody in anyway whatsoever, especially because I haven't met them, or really know the situation that they are in.

I myself don't post too much, mainly because I'm very seriously ill, I try to catch up on most of the posts when I can, and I haven't got the knowledge of some of you guys, but I will always answer, and try and help anybody out if I can.

I'm truly very gratefull to the great members here at Head-Fi, I wouldn't know anything about all this great gear, music is all that I really have as an escapism from the real world, apart from Family and a few friends of course.

Best wishes,

Paul.

Dec 18, 2004 at 5:45 PM Post #82 of 248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Harty

I'm truly very gratefull to the great members here at Head-Fi, I wouldn't know anything about all this great gear, music is all that I really have as an escapism from the real world, apart from Family and a few friends of course.

Best wishes,

I usually dont interact with members that have a low posts count like yours but you have to realize that people like you are the reason why we the «chosen ones» like Head-Fi....
wink.gif

Amicalement

Dec 18, 2004 at 5:48 PM Post #83 of 248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genetic
I usually dont interact with members that have a low posts count like yours but you have to realize that poeple like you are the reason why we the «chosen ones» like Head-Fi....
wink.gif

Amicalement

Thanks Genetic, mate.

Best wishes,

Paul.

Dec 18, 2004 at 7:41 PM Post #84 of 248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Harty
I think it's a little unfair putting someone in your ignore list because you think that someone's posts aren't worth reading, unless that person is abusive, or prejudice in anyway.

Why is it unfair? If he doesn't want to read worthless posts then he shouldn't have to put up with them, that's the whole point of the ignore list!

Dec 18, 2004 at 8:03 PM Post #85 of 248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
Why impose a personal ban on a member simply because you disagree with them, or find them annoying?

Do you remember the 'useless post' debacle?, or the cursing debacle?, or the flamers and trolls?

For awhile it seemed as if we were running ramshod with unruly kiddies. It wouldn''t have been too bad had their childish behaviour been confined to their little playpen, but because their antics infected the rest of the community, when their behaviour crossed over to other threads, it became a distraction.

It's a credit to the community that it regulated itself. The mature members came forth and provided guidance for the youngsters. The moderators brooked no offence and kept this site running smoothly by 'nipping trouble in the bud,' before it could infect the rest of the community.

Childish beahaviour cannot be tolerated otherwise the site and community will drive away members and will denegrate to the lowest common denominator. What you end up with is constant contention amongst the members; flame wars everwhere, personal attacks, the abuse of the PM and email system, etc.

Personal disagreements are no reason to ignore someone; neither is finding someone annoying. We as adults recognise that not everyone can agree with us. If however someone feels that someone has a personal vendetta against someone, who enlists the assistance of like-minded community members to attack another community member, who seeks to quote from past posts to further enflame, then that person should be put on one's ignore list.

We all have prejudices and harbour animosity against others. But one can decide to conform to decorum, be civil, make their point of view known. One does not have to respond with rancor; one can decide to respond with understanding and not 'in kind.'

We all have problems in our real lives which cross over to our psuedo-personal relations (forum communities); we all have bad days, weeks, months and years. We can support each other or exacerbate and enflame the misery.

If a troll comes amongst us if enough members ignore him he will probably leave or must change and conform to the rules set forth by Jude, the moderators, and community member standards.

Dec 18, 2004 at 8:05 PM Post #86 of 248
The Ignore list should be used for a nusance/offensive posts, or persistent use of private messages. Everybody should be given a little respect, and a fair chance, unless they are abusive or offensive in any way, then fair enough.

Best wishes,

Paul.

Dec 18, 2004 at 8:09 PM Post #87 of 248
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallijonn
Do you remember the 'useless post' debacle?, or the cursing debacle?, or the flamers and trolls?

For awhile it seemed as if we were running ramshod with unruly kiddies. It wouldn''t have been too bad had their childish behaviour been confined to their little playpen, but because their antics infected the rest of the community, when their behaviour crossed over to other threads, it became a distraction.

It's a credit to the community that it regulated itself. The mature members came forth and provided guidance for the youngsters. The moderators brooked no offence and kept this site running smoothly by 'nipping trouble in the bud,' before it could infect the rest of the community.

Childish beahaviour cannot be tolerated otherwise the site and community will drive away members and will denegrate to the lowest common denominator. What you end up with is constant contention amongst the members; flame wars everwhere, personal attacks, the abuse of the PM and email system, etc.

Personal disagreements are no reason to ignore someone; neither is finding someone annoying. We as adults recognise that not everyone can agree with us. If however someone feels that someone has a personal vendetta against someone, who enlists the assistance of like-minded community members to attack another community member, who seeks to quote from past posts to further enflame, then that person should be put on one's ignore list.

We all have prejudices and harbour animosity against others. But one can decide to conform to decorum, be civil, make their point of view known. One does not have to respond with rancor; one can decide to respond with understanding and not 'in kind.'

We all have problems in our real lives which cross over to our psuedo-personal relations (forum communities); we all have bad days, weeks, months and years. We can support each other or exacerbate and enflame the misery.

If a troll comes amongst us if enough members ignore him he will probably leave or must change and conform to the rules set forth by Jude, the moderators, and community member standards.

Very well put wallijonn, that's a great, and very fair view/statement.

Best wishes,

Paul.

Dec 19, 2004 at 12:20 AM Post #88 of 248
At the same time, I don't really fault anyone for ignoring anyone else. There are some entire forums on here I don't read or don't read often. Anybody who mainly or only posts in there is de facto ignored by me. Ignore could be useful to cut down on the amount of stuff you have to read to get at what you really want, although you'd always run the risk of missing something good that way.

Dec 19, 2004 at 1:20 AM Post #89 of 248
This isn't meant at anyone in particular... I really don't understand why anyone would want to use the ignore list. If you don't like someone's post then skim past it or just ignore it. Do you really have such bad self control that you need some sort of automated ignore feature? If you're so offended by posts in an internet forum that you feel the need to ignore EVERY post by that person then how do you deal with things you don't like in the "real" world. There are always going to be some flames and disagreements but there's no need to get so emotional that you want to use the ignore list. It's just a headphone forum...take it easy and have fun.

Dec 19, 2004 at 1:24 AM Post #90 of 248
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
This isn't meant at anyone in particular... I really don't understand why anyone would want to use the ignore list. If you don't like someone's post then skim past it or just ignore it. Do you really have such bad self control that you need some sort of automated ignore feature? If you're so offended by posts in an internet forum that you feel the need to ignore EVERY post by that person then how do you deal with things you don't like in the "real" world. There are always going to be some flames and disagreements but there's no need to get so emotional that you want to use the ignore list. It's just a headphone forum...take it easy and have fun.

My sentiments entirely

Users who are viewing this thread

Back