How fast have you driven/ridden?
Nov 16, 2002 at 7:13 AM Post #16 of 67
Mr.P.D.
Quote:

Does it come with snow tires?

What an bizarre concept. People actually drive their cars in the snow? I have read about water in the solid state, but have not observed such a thing outside my scotch glass (which I regard as as a safe environment for such a treacherous beast). I have also read about a clever device called the "snowmobile". Such devices are reputed to be capable of conveying a driver, with or without screaming passenger, in excess of 100 mph over the distance between any two given bars. Sounds like a better solution to me
wink.gif

Sorry, but we only have 2 seasons here in the southwest: "suffer", and "gloat".

gerG

Nov 16, 2002 at 7:24 AM Post #17 of 67
gerg
Last gen RX-7? Where do you live?
smily_headphones1.gif

Um, yeah, this thread is at least as controversial as Scotch and Bourbon. And uh, I'd like to give thanks now to the fifth amendment to the constitution.

Nov 16, 2002 at 8:01 AM Post #19 of 67
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
Um, yeah, this thread is at least as controversial as Scotch and Bourbon. And uh, I'd like to give thanks now to the fifth amendment to the constitution.

please do NOT mix the two threads. we would have some dead guys otherwise...

Nov 16, 2002 at 8:07 AM Post #20 of 67
Jessica00, that reminds me: I blame my recalcitrant right foot on my mom. Back in the days before child seats, or even shoulder belts, mom was quite the hot-rodder. Still is, actually, but now she drives a V6 S-10. Back then she had a Hemi powered Dodge D500 with dual quads on a tunnel ram induction system. She tells the story of dusting a Corvette through the curves south of a small midwestern town while keeping the speedo above 100 the whole time. Where was I during this? Wrapped in a blanket, sliding around in the back seat. I slept through the whole event, apparently. That is the part that pisses me off, I missed a great race!

Hey kelly. I live NE of Phoenix, but commute to central phx every day for work. 30 miles each way, and I love it! I don't know what it is, but I love driving. Requirement is a fun vehicle, and sometimes a good sound system. I have dodged all sorts of things at speed. Interesting thing to get the back end loose at speeds over 100mph. I managed a full 360 degree spin in the RX7 one morning on the way to work due to a combination of lack of practice and an abrupt transition in boost at 5000 rpm while exiting a tight turn. The first 180 was not controlled. The second was. The black marks were beautiful! They crossed twice!

I think that I am maturing. None of the vehicles that I currently own have been airborn. I seem to have a long tradition of having every vehicle completely out of contact with pavement at some point in it's history. Never planned it. Just sort of worked out that way. It gets really quiet for a while. Good thing, cause the f'ing car always rotates, so you have to set the steering up for re-entry, which is always violent. Smoother on a bike, though!

Buy me a Negra Modelo some time and I will tell you how I almost hit a whale on a beach in Mexico.

========================

gerG

Nov 16, 2002 at 8:19 AM Post #21 of 67
At my preppy high school, a good friend of mine has a V12 Ferrari 456GT - we cracked about 170 km per hour once on the freeway.
The car got up there in a blink of an eye, and then he lifted off, and cruised at normal speed again. His father was driving of course. Best two seconds of my life.
biggrin.gif

Nov 16, 2002 at 10:30 AM Post #22 of 67
did about 125mph (at least) from green mountains (exit 24 on 95) NH to bronx, N.Y. i think i did the trip in a little over two hours. i slowed down to 80 when i crossed the "welcome to the bronx" sign.

left early in the morning labour day. either there were no cops or they thought i was crazy and didn't want to be bothered.

anyone can speed for short spurts. it takes a man to drive 130 mph for two hours straight.
biggrin.gif

then there was Montana when they didn't have a speed limit. you can NOT understand "Big Sky" until you actually see it for yourself. it's like the Grand Canyon - you actually do have to see it to believe it. did about 150. legally.

and everybody does 90mph minimum on route 3 to Boston.

did about 125 on route 3 when i saw every cruiser within 30 miles converge on an accident in the opposite lanes.

oh, yeah. i once got a ticket for doing 56 in a 55mph zone. it was the end of the month and the cops had to make their quota.

Nov 16, 2002 at 3:25 PM Post #23 of 67
Hey gerG
I know what you mean about the commute. I used to drive 90 miles to work. The drive was the only part of the job I liked.
C'mon if you live north of Phoenix then you seen snow
wink.gif

I live north of Poenix and we get a lot of snow. I am about 1,000 miles north though.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

oh, yeah. i once got a ticket for doing 56 in a 55mph zone. it was the end of the month and the cops had to make their quota.

wow wallijonn, that's a CS ticket if Ive heard of one. I remember not getting a ticket for doing 68 in a 55, then getting home to find a letter from DMV stating I could reinstate my license. Good thing the cop never asked to see it. I didn't know it had been suspended.

But, I did get a ticket for 84 in a 55 once.

Nov 16, 2002 at 4:13 PM Post #24 of 67
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly

...and I'm still going to eat greasy ass chicken no matter what you say!
Oops, wrong thread.
redface.gif

I hit 5K on the tach of an 88 GT 5.0 once on the highway.
I have never gone that fast since.
(I'm a family man now.
wink.gif
)

Nov 16, 2002 at 4:29 PM Post #25 of 67
Car - 135MPH indicated (street), Bike - 155MPH indicated (track)

Car was when I was young and stupid (street); bike was when I was old and stupid (track). Over the ton things seem to happen a lot faster (inside awareness horizon and reaction range). People who have ridden with me no longer ask or laugh about my deer whistles (what do you call a guy on a bike hitting a deer? organ donor). Even the center line paint gets slippery over 130MPH. Track is a much better place to do this sort of stuff. You can take the experience and knowledge back to the street without so much temptation to try it there.

Nov 16, 2002 at 5:43 PM Post #26 of 67
125-130mph (indicated) in a Datsun 280z I used to own, down a dark country road -- many years ago.

~90mph on a Harley -- didn't even realize it until I looked down at the speedometer.

Nov 16, 2002 at 10:03 PM Post #27 of 67
155 mph in a Porsche Turbo Carrera on a highway in New Mexico.

150 on a Kawasaki ZX-11 on a highway in Oregon.

Now I drive around in a '87 Suburban. Lately it's become more important to me to have a little more protection against the drunk or high idiots out there on the highways, than it is to go real fast on them.

Maybe it's because of that drunk idiot who hit me headon 4 years ago...

Nov 16, 2002 at 10:21 PM Post #28 of 67
Mach 1.2 in an F-15B near White Sands, New Mexico - after a max climb. Amusement parks bore me now.

Car? My Dad's old Porsche 914 2.0 - 134 mph

Bike? Old Suzuki Katana 1100 - 155 mph going north out of El Paso, Texas. There was a killer tailwind from the t-storm behind me, freshly paved divided highway in front of me, state line about 6 mile away.......

Bike - in the rain? Yamaha RZ-350 - 112 mph between Las Cruces and Alamogordo, New Mexico. It wouldn't go any faster since the tire would break loose and the back end would step out. I was soaked, but the seat seamed to be dry for some reason.....

Bike - cross country? GSXR-1100 - Santa Fe to Tularosa, New Mexico - the back way (no interstates). Most of the trip was between 110 - 130 mph. I got a ticket just south of Carizozo. The cop was shocked to see some gray hair under my helmet and gave me a big break. I sold the bike about two weeks later. It was an educational 6 months or so that I had it.

Nov 16, 2002 at 11:00 PM Post #29 of 67
Quote:

Originally posted by dougli
155 mph in a Porsche Turbo Carrera on a highway in New Mexico.

150 on a Kawasaki ZX-11 on a highway in Oregon.

WHOW!!!!! Now THAT'S fast!! Like deadly fast. But at least you did it in a car that can handle that speed quite well.

Nov 16, 2002 at 11:57 PM Post #30 of 67
I was watching a show on the Autobahn today. I didn't know that half of it had NO SPEED LIMIT! They had a porsche on there going 212 Mph! And it was LEGAL!!! Germanis highway system rocks. It's safer then the US's! Anyway...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back