How fast have you driven/ridden?
Nov 17, 2002 at 12:50 AM Post #32 of 67
105 mph here, not driving. Me and my dad were on the salt flats of mid-western USA, and decided to slam on the gas of his toyta avalon, completely unmodded. He wouldn't push it any farther than 105, if i was driving though, you'd bet i'd be goijng 135

Nov 17, 2002 at 1:04 AM Post #33 of 67
Hmm, in the US, we got it up to 100, my dad driving.

While in germany, on the autobahn
biggrin.gif
I was the passenger in a BMW M3.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Got it up to the kilometer equivalent of 140 mph. Jeebus! That was scary as hell!

Nov 17, 2002 at 1:27 AM Post #35 of 67
i've been in a car going ~195 km/h which is about 122 mph. down a city street at 1am...with 700 lbs of passenger weight in it. guess the car...

you probably got it wrong. Volvo S60 AWD (note: NOT the T5 turbo version).

other than that, the car i drive won't make it to 140 km/h (~88 mph).

Nov 17, 2002 at 2:51 AM Post #36 of 67
I've done about 120mph in a '91 Honda Civic 4 cylinder with 4 big guys in the car, in the rain. That was probably not the smartest, but it was damn fun.

I rode in my friend's Dad's last gen RX-7, and we got up to about 130 in it. That thing was a beautiful car to ride in.

For a long distance run, doing San Francisco to LA in under 4 hours, average speed about 95-100mph, was my max. In another RX7.

All of this before my 18th birthday, BTW.

Nov 17, 2002 at 3:55 AM Post #37 of 67
I haven't driven on the autobahn yet, but I hope to some day. I have driven in Napoli, and on the autostrada in Italy. I was headed the wrong direction so I did a u-turn at a toll booth. I told some of the guys that I was working with at the time, and they were horrified. This is dangerous, they proclaimed! Mind you, driving in Naples is like being amongst a bunch of midget race car drivers hyped to the max on caffeine turned loose in 1.5 litre screamers INSIDE Home Depot. Yet a u-turn on the Autostrada was dangerous. Cracked me up, anyway.

Neat thing about Europe, they know of a thing called "lane discipline". You drive as far to the right as possible, and when you overtake someone you check your rearview mirror for a Mercedes coming up behind you at 180 mph, and if clear, yougas it, move over and, get this, pass on the left. As soon as you pass them you move back to the right to avoid getting hit by the inevitable 180 mph Mercedes closing on you like a missile, with just about as much inclination to slow down as said ballistic device.

It always frightened me to think that we could turn loose 10 bad american drivers in minivans in Germany and bring their whole interstate system to a standstill.

The Italians add a cool twist to this. They drive straddling the lines. That way they are half way there when they need to dodge something, which is aretty normal event. This rule is taken to the limit in the cities, where the number of lanes is dictated by how many cars can fit side by side, and whether there is any oncoming traffic. They never drive straight behind one another, always offset. The main rules seem to be: never stop, never hesitate, and when someone shoots in from the side to merge, let them. It works amazingly well.

rohorn, I am jealous as hell! I wanted to drive jets when I was in high school, but they had that damned 20/20 eyesight requirement. I don't think that I have ever been on the other side of the sonic speed limit. Would love to try it some time. Supersonic, on the deck, inverted has to be the thrill ride of a lifetime!

gerG

Nov 17, 2002 at 4:11 AM Post #38 of 67
The fastest I've ever driven is about 105mph or so, which I did every day for a couple years on about a ten-minute stretch of interstate. That was about the limit of my car, which I am happy to say no longer exists.

(One of my scariest driving moments came on that same piece of highway, when some dumb**** behind me cutting in and out of traffic drove into the center partition, went airborne, flipping completely over (front-to-back, not side-to-side) before coming down in the middle of four lanes of traffic. I think about three people died in that one. It was freaky as hell watching in my rearview mirror from only a few feet away.)

I need to learn to drive a stick so I can get a real car when I get out of school. I'd also really love to buy a bike and learn to ride it well. Then when I make a bit more money, I'll have to buy a MiG off eBay.

kerely

Nov 17, 2002 at 4:15 AM Post #39 of 67
Quote:

Originally posted by x1lexure
I was watching a show on the Autobahn today. I didn't know that half of it had NO SPEED LIMIT! They had a porsche on there going 212 Mph! And it was LEGAL!!! Germanis highway system rocks. It's safer then the US's! Anyway...

You could go to Montana.
wink.gif

As far as the german highway being safer, its not the highway as much as its the drivers.
The US will let anyone with a pulse get a license.
redface.gif

Nov 17, 2002 at 4:16 AM Post #40 of 67
To give you an idea of how fast you are actually going at these breakneck speeds we're talking about here, 60mph is hauling along at 88 feet per second!! Now, those who have done 150mph on their bike or car, that's moving along at 220 feet per second!!! By the time you see something in the way, BAM, you're history before the reaction time kicks in!!!

Nov 17, 2002 at 4:49 AM Post #41 of 67
Yeah, besides, when the radar detector goes off and you are doing 160, AND if you don't have a heart attack, it takes forever just to get the car under 100! I just hate when that happens!

Seriously, things do happen damned scarey fast when you are traveling at these kind of speeds. These velocities should be relegated to the track. Word of warning, though. High velicities are another very expensive hobby, one way or another.

Drive aware.

gerG

Nov 17, 2002 at 5:56 AM Post #43 of 67
scariest moment? riding a bike in the rain. truck jack knives to my right. i gun it to go around him. two lanes in opposite direction. two cars coming towards me (i'm in their lanes). then a third car pulls out to pass the other two.

man, i hit that gas, went around the truck, and a split second later the three cars pass me.

i also had an engine seizure at 65mph. bike was going sideways at 65mph. on a curve. when i had a little bit of straight road i pulled in the clutch. instant snap. bronco riding time at 60mph. to this day i don't know how i didn't crack up.

ah, youth.

i no longer speed. i drive a miata. in the right lane. at the posted speed limits. use the 3 second rule. don't like people crowding me so i find a nice open space between packs of dogs. i'm mr. safe driver now. (unless i'm on switch back roads
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

Nov 17, 2002 at 6:50 AM Post #44 of 67
been up to 150 in a BMW M3 on the track. Driven up to about 110 mph. Car was shaking. Not sure the car is up to it anymore. Been 4 wheel drifting before, but that's about it. everything was controlled.

'91 integra GS-stock

Nov 17, 2002 at 6:54 AM Post #45 of 67
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
i no longer speed. i drive a miata. in the right lane. at the posted speed limits. use the 3 second rule. don't like people crowding me so i find a nice open space between packs of dogs. i'm mr. safe driver now. (unless i'm on switch back roads
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

Other than the whole Miata bit, are you sure you're not related to me!!!!
biggrin.gif
Man it was so deja vuz reading this post it was scary!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back