How exactly does one become "fatigued" listening to music?
Mar 2, 2008 at 10:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Fome

New Head-Fier
I've heard this term thrown around a lot in headphone sound descriptions. I do not understand it at all. I don't think I've ever experienced the sensation of getting tired using headphones. I do get uncomfortable sometimes, but it has more to do with a bad fit or sweat accumulation, and nothing to do with sound. Can someone explain this to me?

Mar 2, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #4 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard this term thrown around a lot in headphone sound descriptions. I do not understand it at all. I don't think I've ever experienced the sensation of getting tired using headphones. I do get uncomfortable sometimes, but it has more to do with a bad fit or sweat accumulation, and nothing to do with sound. Can someone explain this to me?

Re: sound, I've normally associated listening "fatigue" with a harsh high-frequency presentation (headphones and speakers). These kinds of headphone/speaker may catch your ear at first and tantalize you for a bit, but you go quickly from tapping your foot, to fidgeting in your chair, to getting up to do do something else because you notice that you have a slight headache.

Mar 2, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #5 of 37
By listening to trance using Etymotic IEM's!!!
tongue.gif

Mar 2, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidr2287 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or try some MS-1's and you'll find out what people mean.

Disagreed.

Comfort? Maybe.

Sound? Nada.

I could listen to these things for hours if it weren't for the comfort issue.
frown.gif

Mar 2, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #8 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidr2287 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or try some MS-1's and you'll find out what people mean.

The are so bright I got listening fatigue when I owned them. The fatigue for me was mental, I'd just get to the point where I was irritated and didn't want to listen to music anymore.

The MS1 was the first time I experienced fatigue.

(You can also try listening to Yamaha NS1s for an entire album)

Mar 2, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #12 of 37
in my experience, anything that is bright or forward will lead after a period of time to listening fatigue. the general feeling is just that your ears need a rest from the music.

Mar 2, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #13 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
in my experience, anything that is bright or forward will lead after a period of time to listening fatigue. the general feeling is just that your ears need a rest from the music.

Yup, that's it. But even if the system is completely non fatiguing in this way, you'll still eventually suffer from air guitar fatigue. So there's no escaping it.

Mar 2, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #14 of 37
It's kinda like when you listen to a song too much and don't want to listen to it anymore - you still like it but your done with it. Fatigue is kinda like that except its all music.

Mar 3, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #15 of 37
If you hear ringing, especially after you take off your head/ear phone, after a long period of enjoying your music, it means you listening your music too loud and that lead to hearing loss at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back