how does the philips 963a do with video?
Sep 19, 2004 at 7:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

tomek

500+ Head-Fier
hi guys, i'm perhaps interested in a philips 963a player but i'm wonder what its video performance is like.

i used to think that dvd players were all the same, but i have an older Samsung DVD player that I've been using with my LCD projector. I borrowed my dad's newer panasonic with prog scan and I was watching a movie wondering what the hell was wrong with the picture. It was fuzzy and pixelated. Went back to what was supposed to be a cheaper, older player and the quality is much better again.

What is it like on the Philips? Does anyone have a high enough resolution display to have noticed a difference? On my projector, the differences are very apparant.

Sep 19, 2004 at 7:46 PM Post #2 of 10
several people have said it is the best video output they have seen, period, especially for the price.

do a search in the Source forums, you'll find a lot there, since that is where i remember reading about it.

Honestly, I think for that price, it is a great bargain.

Sep 19, 2004 at 9:26 PM Post #4 of 10
On my Sony RP HDTV monitor, the Philips has video that at least equals the Sony DVP-S9000ES (and replaced that player in my ht setup).

Sep 19, 2004 at 9:45 PM Post #5 of 10
The video performance surpasses players at 5X the price in some direct head to head tests I did last year. Primarily the performance is attributed to the Furugda (SP?) processor. I compared it to the top of the line Marantz and there was a marked difference in straight line resolution and color. A friend of mine who is primarily into home theater concurred with my assessment. It was his Marantz. I soon rotated it into my family room where I now use it almost exclusively for video.

Sep 20, 2004 at 2:23 AM Post #7 of 10
back home, the philips is feeding an x1 projector. Everyone who has stepped through the door to see a DVD has commented on how good the picture looks.

Sep 21, 2004 at 1:42 AM Post #8 of 10
Component video out is excellent on the 963sa but can't compare with the resolution of some of the newer upsampling DVI players such as the Bravo D-2 from vinc.com Doesn't sound as good as the Philips though, but quite good nonetheless.

Sep 22, 2004 at 4:56 PM Post #9 of 10
Component looks very nice with the Philips. This player smokes cheap DVDPs, and I've heard it holds its own against much pricier ones. I've heard the same things bobjew has, that the Bravo is some great gear. But the Philips does SACD, and I can vouch for its great redbook sound as well. It's definitely a great choice, I think.

Sep 24, 2004 at 6:41 PM Post #10 of 10
On my 963sa, when I output via component video (?) (the red, green, blue) using progressive scan into my sony 40" xbr tv, and it plays widescreen, for some reason, it compresses it beyond the 16:9 to like 16:10 or something. So it squishes the image flatter. When I use my other DVD players it doesn't do that.. Anyonw know anything I can do to fix that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back