How does the HiFiMan HE-300 stack up against the Beyerdynamic dt990 (250 ohms) and the ultrasone hfi 580?
Sep 13, 2013 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

zedfonsie

New Head-Fier
I've done way too much research on headphones, and right before I was about to pull the trigger on the dt990s I found out about the he-300 and wonder how they stack against the dt990's? I know the rev 1.0 HE-300's were pretty whack but what about the newer ones with the silver cable?

Sep 13, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #2 of 3
  I've done way too much research on headphones, and right before I was about to pull the trigger on the dt990s I found out about the he-300 and wonder how they stack against the dt990's? I know the rev 1.0 HE-300's were pretty whack but what about the newer ones with the silver cable?

Not to throw another wrench in your plans, but I sold the DT990 after hearing the X1.  They are similar, but I feel the X1 is better in bass extension, has less fatiguing treble, and is more comfortable.  Here's a review: 
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/big-bottom-and-lively-top-philips-fidelio-x1

Sep 13, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #3 of 3

Heya,

The HE300 is a good headphone, great option in the $200 arena. The features are great, detachable cable, inexpensive pads, good overall sound (warm neutral). It's light weight compared to it's bigger brothers. Looks nice, kind of retro looking, not terribly big either, easy to fit into it. The DT990 is bassier (mid bass) and brighter (treble is higher). Depends on what you're looking for. If you want a smooth bassy headphone, the Fidelio X1 is another to consider (as mentioned above). Otherwise, the DT990 is bassy and bright. The HE300 is warm and roughly neutral. The later revisions are fine, the first batch just had some whacky tuning (weird mids) but it was fixed. You can find HE300's for $150 here and there, and it's a really good deal actually.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back