How do you use an amp...? Topping A30/HD6XX/HD650
May 7, 2017 at 9:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Pulstura

New Head-Fier
Hey guys!

New to the Head-Fi community, I've bought the Topping D30 and A30 combo on Massdrop a few months ago and I'm trying to understand which settings I should really be using to get the best performance out of my headphones.

I see the "Off/Low/High" voltage switch, I honestly don't hear any differences between the Low and High? How am I mean't to know which setting I should be on?

For the gain switch which show as "0db, 9db, 18db" I understand this brings the volume up, but theres also the volume knob for this. - How should I be using between them to find the right balance? Make the gain low as possible while increasing the volume knob all the way up? or the other way round? In between?

Also when the PC is connected to the D30 DAC via USB, should I be using low volume settings on the PC? Or can I bring this setting all the way up? Is there any audio quality loss from this?

I own a pair of HD6XX which are pretty much HD650's and I understand that these require a lot of power to drive. But... What is a lot of power? hehe...

Sorry for all the questions... I'm quite new to the audio community :).

Thanks!

Last edited:
May 12, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #2 of 2
Just use the Power control on the amp, the volume is controlled by the wheel.
Use 0db to start and then there is hi power and low power, start with the 0db and then try the 9db gain if it doesn't get loud enough.

Don't use the windows volume control, even if you have the volume all the way up with the lowest gain that will give you the highest level of quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back