How do you shrink your heatshrink?
Jul 28, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #31 of 58
3858000.jpg

http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?...5Fid=21%2D7315

Aug 1, 2007 at 10:08 AM Post #32 of 58
Use a heatgun! Don't use the barrel or tip of your soldering iron. Thats just crazy. Your creating HiFi audio gear not LoFi rat shack junk.

Aug 1, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #33 of 58
hmm interestingly enough, a suggestion i havent seen yet, i use just my desklamp. im not sure what kinda bulb it is, but its your standard teched out looking desklamp on an "arm", i think it might be a halogen bulb. anyways, it heats up VERY hot, as do other of my buddies desk lamps. i find simply holding heatshrink a couple inches under this for about 5 seconds on each side works about 10X faster than hte biggest beefiest hairdrier i could find.

Aug 1, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #34 of 58
I use a 1600W heatgun. It does the job in about 5 seconds!
biggrin.gif
I would say:
Dont bother waiting to get a heatgun! Buy it right away! It does the job 1000 times better than a hairdryer!

Aug 1, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #35 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lpe_91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use a 1600W heatgun. It does the job in about 5 seconds!
biggrin.gif
I would say:
Dont bother waiting to get a heatgun! Buy it right away! It does the job 1000 times better than a hairdryer!

Every Home Depot or paint store carries them for stripping paint.

Aug 2, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #37 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tedro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Microwave FTMFW

This is a joke, right? The microwave would not like all of the metal in the cable and plugs.

Aug 2, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #38 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by slag /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a joke, right? The microwave would not like all of the metal in the cable and plugs.

I can't wait to use my microwave to heatshrink my brand new shielded cable!

j/k...don't do this folks.
tongue.gif

Nov 5, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #39 of 58
And what kind of heat gun has fine adapters for small precise work? Other than those on combo soldering stations, I mean.

Nov 5, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #40 of 58
I inherited an old 230w craftsman soldering gun that gets so hot all I have to do it bring it near the heatshrink (never touching) and it shrinks in a matter of seconds. I think it was meant for plumbing or something lol. That being said, after reading this thread I think I am going to ask Santa for a heat gun.

Nov 5, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #41 of 58

I've been suggested a Weller 6966 Heat Gun; expensive, but I like the fact that it consumes only 210W, and it has adapters available for fine heat-shrink / solder sleeve work. Besides, Weller is known for its great quality products, so hopefully it will work out a worthwhile investment.
Quote:
And what kind of heat gun has fine adapters for small precise work? Other than those on combo soldering stations, I mean.

Nov 5, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #42 of 58
This tool:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1320

works faster than BIC lighters and is convenient to use. It gets pretty hot so I use supplied stand to cool it down after use. You can refill it with gas same way as cigarette butane lighter.
--
het.s

Nov 5, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #44 of 58
Everyone knows that ice cold water causes embarrassing shrinkage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back