How do you pronounce grado?
Dec 18, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #32 of 42
In any case, like I said, if it's Grey dough, fine. He's American. Now I'm gonna go out on a limb here and bet his last name comes from a European background, and I guarantee that a few ancestors back, his name was pronounced Grah-doh.

But hey, the man clearly said Gray-dough. I'll stop it there...

Dec 18, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #33 of 42

+2. 
Unless Grado is an American name, Grey-dough would more than likely be INCORRECT. Only Americans butcher pronounciations in such a manner.

For the rest of the world Grah-doh would be the proper way to pronounce it.

If it's Grey-dough, fine, but I hate when words get completely miss-pronounced by ignorance.

As an example, how would you pronounce Enrique? I'm gonna assume En-ree-kay, right? Without a second thought, that would be the first assumption. Which is utterly wrong.

Isn'r Grado a European name/word? If so, I bet a pretty penny that it's not Grey-dough.

Dec 18, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #34 of 42

Quote:
Unless Grado is an American name, Grey-dough would more than likely be INCORRECT. Only Americans butcher pronounciations in such a manner.

For the rest of the world Grah-doh would be the proper way to pronounce it.

If it's Grey-dough, fine, but I hate when words get completely miss-pronounced by ignorance.

As an example, how would you pronounce Enrique? I'm gonna assume En-ree-kay, right? Without a second thought, that would be the first assumption. Which is utterly wrong.

Isn'r Grado a European name/word? If so, I bet a pretty penny that it's not Grey-dough.

No, we pronounce it exactly how it sounds. Excuse my American ignorance but from my standpoint you seem pretty ignorant as well. Don't bring this whole "American" thing into the subject just because you've been pronouncing it wrong the whole time.

Dec 18, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #36 of 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobaccoRoad /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No, we pronounce it exactly how it sounds. Excuse my American ignorance but from my standpoint you seem pretty ignorant as well. Don't bring this whole "American" thing into the subject just because you've been pronouncing it wrong the whole time.

x2

@Mad Lust Envy
just accept that its pronounced "grey-doh"

Dec 18, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #38 of 42

Quote:
I always have said Gr-ahhhh-do, like the sound you make at the dentist when he tells you to go Ahhhhh. 

I don't really care if its Gray-Do, because Grah-Do sounds better and more refined. :D

In our country, we pronounced "a" as in "ahhh" so I read it "Grahhh-dohh" SR60. However, the reseller in our place call it - "Gray-do". Therefore, I assumed that the reseller is speaking it in the American way. Anyway, I love my Grado SR60!
"Mahhhhry" Christmas everybody, I mean "Merry Christmas Everybody!
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #40 of 42
Dec 9, 2019 at 12:33 AM Post #41 of 42
There is no one right way to pronounce a word; excepting for proper nouns. Language is not fixed, it is plastic and continually changing across time and distance.

To tell a person that he cannot pronounce his own name correctly, it being a proper noun, is ethnocentric, arrogant, and in this case a complete fabrication with no basis in fact.

If you want to talk sheer numbers, more people now speak North American English than British. Most of the billion people worldwide who use and understand English do so not because of Britain, but rather because of (and in imitation of) the United States.

But since bigger is not always better, and quality is as important maybe more so, than quantity let’s look at this notion of correct versus incorrect.

21st Century American English has actually deviated from the pronunciation from the late 16th to 18th Century U.K. English from whence it came far less than the myriad accents spoken throughout England today. This is especially in the U.S. northeastern states, the original colonies. So if you want to hear what proper, centuries old U.K. English sounds like, free of the many verbal tics and fads the British are prone to, head to the U.S. east coast.

As an aside, Québécois, the French language as spoken by French Canadians, has also drifted far less than French spoken by continentals. So if you want to hear 18th Century French, go to Montreal. You sure as heck won’t hear it throughout most of Europe!

So, let’s all just take a deep breath and back off on what we arbitrarily call right and wrong based on what we’re used to. Otherwise, an actual expert with an actual degree in linguistics and etymology might show up and decide to get frothy, eh?

Dec 9, 2019 at 4:47 AM Post #42 of 42
21st Century American English has actually deviated from the pronunciation from the late 16th to 18th Century U.K. English from whence it came far less than the myriad accents spoken throughout England today. This is especially in the U.S. northeastern states, the original colonies. So if you want to hear what proper, centuries old U.K. English sounds like, free of the many verbal tics and fads the British are prone to, head to the U.S. east coast.

Fascinating concept -16th century UK (United Kingdom) :D

Otherwise you're quite correct, the "American" English preserved more of the "British" English pronounciation of the 17-18th centuries, not being affected (among other things) by the Victorian age changes in Britain.

E.g - Berkeley, Barclay, and Berklee are (supposed to be) pronounced the same

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back