How do you prepare your coffee?
Jan 9, 2010 at 8:42 AM Post #20 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by salannelson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
black. like my men.

with a spoon in them?

Jan 9, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #21 of 41
The Coffee Company in Amsterdam has very good ristrettos. The double expresso at Starbucks is almost as stong as the ristretto. I'm on a coffee high right now...
smile.gif

Jan 9, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #22 of 41
Start with a good whole bean, I normally get my coffee from Costa Rica, Venezuela and other South American countries. If you don’t travel, which by the way you’d be shocked how inexpensive you can get very good whole coffee beans for, there are numerous online sellers (for one example Britt Coffee) that ship right to your house at a premium, but still better than many store bought prices.

I grind my coffee fresh daily before brewing; IMHO this is a great step which improves the flavor and creates a very desirable aroma in the kitchen and almost throughout the house. I’m not sure of the exact detail, but pre-ground coffee stales 10 times faster than whole bean. For those that say it takes too much time, I really don’t think so, the brewing process is actually longer and the results are well worth any amount of time. I use a ranchilio burr grinder which grinds the coffee beans at a consistent gauge or evenness, which translates to better extraction of the coffee oils that carry most of the flavor.

In addition to a fresh grind, it’s important to use high quality water, I don’t think you need to buy water, a good home filtation system at room temperature is best. Last step is a proper coffee to water ratio, the experts recommend between one and two tablespoons of ground coffee per six ounces (180 millilitres) of water at a brewing temperature of 200 °F (93 °C), but I say experiment and do what taste best to you, personally I like mine strong
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, I posted a picture of my coffee gear here in the coffee gadgets thread.

Jan 9, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #23 of 41
For Christmas I got the wife a Keurig single cup brewer. The coffee K cups cost about 50 cents per cup but is of coffee shop taste and quality. I admit it is high on cost per cup but if you like strong coffee this is the way to go and very convenient and every cup is fresh.

Jan 9, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #24 of 41
Reminds me that I have totally forgotten to drop by Tim Wendelboe...
A micro roastery, coffee training centre and an espresso bar here in Oslo.

Jan 9, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #25 of 41
Yesterday's Maxwell House, 1/4 cup milk, Microwave 1 minute, add 3 packets of Equal. Voila!

Jan 10, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #27 of 41
Three dessertspoons of beans into a hand grinder and whizz until my arm hurts. Continue until my hand drops off then tip contents into a cafetiere. Sweep the floor where the coffee missed the cafetiere. Swear at grinder design team then add boiling water. Wait 3 mins then depress plunger. Wipe work surface of boiling coffee and run hand under cold tap to prevent permanent damage. Add milk from carton. Swear at carton design team and wipe milk from work surface. Resolve in future to drink instant coffee, black.

Jan 10, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #28 of 41
14g of home-roasted coffee at the 7-14 day mark go into the Faema A6, a couple knocks and some brushing and it's dosed into the portafilter which has been pre-heated by the Gaggia Baby by pulling a blank shot and back flushing with water. The dose is settled, broken up by a pin, tamped with about 20-30lb of pressure, depending on bean age, popped into the Gaggia Baby and ~25 seconds later, a beautiful double espresso shot is ready for me. It's how I start my day, every day.

Jan 10, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #30 of 41
I like my coffee just like my chihuahua: ground up and in the freezer

for brewing, I am strictly a french press guy. i love that fuller body and thicker mouthfeel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back