How do you overcome fatigue-ing sound?
Oct 7, 2008 at 5:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

accurate_dB

Banned
I've notice over moderately longer listening sessions that one of my headphone is fatigue-ing while my other headphone is not using the same sound system.

Would using a graphic equalizer to attenuate the highs solve this?
Or would a warmer or even tube amp resolve this experience?

Thanks in advance.

Oct 7, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #2 of 14
What does your system consist of? For me, digital sources were the cause of most of the fatigue...my DAC solved that problem. I've also been fatigued by certain phones...the Denon D2000 sock was really brain bashing, until I did markl's earpad mod, moving the drivers away from my eardrum a bit...that helped immensely. Another factor that contributes to fatigue is poor imaging (see this link:Products - HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears).

Oct 7, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #3 of 14
Less/easy going highs and bass usually does it for me. Also, a diffused or laid back soundstage helps(The same thing some ppl complain about the k701's soundstage as being emotionally sterile is the same thing that can keep listening possible for hours imo). But using to equalizer to get that is more tricky than adjusting the frequency extremes.

Ime!

Oct 7, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #4 of 14
Try one of the classic "tubey" tube amps. You'll want one that has transformers on the output and probably a tube rectifier. That'll slow things down a bit while serving up glorious mids. Don't expect the low end to be as tight as solid state, however.

Though you might be best served with different headphones. Have you considered the Sennheiser HD-580/600/650 lineup? I don't find them fatiguing, even with a solid state amp.

Oct 7, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by accurate_dB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've notice over moderately longer listening sessions that one of my headphone is fatigue-ing while my other headphone is not using the same sound system.

Would using a graphic equalizer to attenuate the highs solve this?
Or would a warmer or even tube amp resolve this experience?

Thanks in advance.

hmmm whats fatigue?

use something like HD580/HD600 or HD555 also ... these will never fatigue.

trust me on this ..i listen to HD555 all nite sometimes.

Oct 7, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #6 of 14
Careful though...unamped, the HD650 will give you lazy ears, lol...

Oct 7, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #8 of 14
Basically, HD600 does not fatigue me when listening through a Denon stereo receiver headphone jack. Therefore I have many upgrade options to consider.
My other headphone, I like very much the sounds from it, but I can not go very long before I get irritable.

Oct 7, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #9 of 14
Most fatigue is due to loudness, you need to turn your cans down. Its the hairs in the innerear that vibrate to much that cause this feeling. High freq. over a long time is usually blamed, but its just your more senstive to high than low freq. So, turn down the volume for 1 night and see how you get on.

Oct 7, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #10 of 14
Sennheisers can never fatigue.

thats the only reason i dont like Grado's. especially SR80.

how about MS-1?

i was getting MS-1 at a great offer

Oct 7, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sennheisers can never fatigue.

thats the only reason i dont like Grado's. especially SR80.

how about MS-1?

i was getting MS-1 at a great offer

That's poor science there, Einstein...ANY phone can cause fatigue, it's dependant on a lot of things.

Oct 8, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #13 of 14
I agree completely with denl82 and with DefectiveAudio:

Get some AKG (K701, but maybe also K501), and get some good music.

Also, a good amp would help, possibly some people need a cross-feeding model (check Meier Audio on this).

As for the Senns, they are good, and cause less fatigue than some other makes, but more than AKG.

Oct 8, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #14 of 14
I don't know exactly what other people mean by fatigue, but I absolutely can't listen headphones/music with too much upper-bass.
It sounds constipated/muddy, I feel claustrophobic and start getting motion sickness.
Only headphones do this to me(generally closed headphones).. I can listen to thumping car-speakers all day, and won't get sick.
Lifting the headphones a millimeter off my ear, or eq'ing it even very subtle-ly(to follow a sine wave) completely removes the fatigue though.

Does anyone else have these symptoms? It seems as if everyone else has trouble listening to bright/edgy sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back