My 10 minute ramen lunch with chinese sausage, chicken, egg

ramen2.jpg

nice! ramen-fi!

Apr 10, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #92 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amuse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thx
icon10.gif

Actually, a better and healthier way of cooking noodles is to use new water for the soup and not the water that was used to cook the noodles. You should always drain your noodles and not follow the instructions on the bag.

Drain them 3 times, why 3, I don't know. My dad (He is Cantonese) always tells me to rinse rice 3 time before cooking it, and same for noodles & veggies. It must be a lucky number I guess.

Apr 10, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #93 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So Ramen is just another word for instant noodles ? I thought it was something posh made professionally or something lol

Actually ramen is the Japanese version of the noodles made fresh by hand. The word later got adapted to descibing the instant versions of it.

Apr 10, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #94 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasp3r /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Soo almost everyone eats ramen! How do you prefer it and how do you cook it?

What is ramen ?
confused.gif

edit: nvm, read some of the posts above. I call it Mi-Goreng... well that's the instant noodles I eat.

Apr 10, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #95 of 127
I cook it pretty much the way the package says but cutting back a bit on the seasoning. I like to add a little pork, bamboo shoot, and an egg.

However, I like mine the authentic way.. in a Japanese ramen store :
DSC_9593_2sm.jpg

I wish I could have some of that now
frown.gif

Apr 10, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #96 of 127
Speaking of cooking per the directions; the kids are getting old enough to cook their own now and one of them actually READ the directions and prepared them that way. He liked it just as the directions instructed. He even convinced a brother and sister that they are good that way and now they do too!

Apr 10, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #97 of 127
Boil water with seasoning packet
Add ramen
Cook 2-3 minutes
Optional - add egg
Optional - add hot sauce

Done.

Apr 10, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #98 of 127
- Boil water in kettle
- Dump dry ramen in bowl, along with seasoning
- Pour boiling water into bowl
- An occasional egg (cooked seperately)

I haven't tried an authentic Japanese ramen yet, and I really want to. I don't see any restaurants near me though =(.

Apr 11, 2007 at 7:12 AM Post #101 of 127
First time I've heard such a question. lol I don't eat Ramen anymore but suspect it would be good with actual food in it. lol

In my young years, I would cook it aldente, drain most the water, add the seasoning (not all of it) and add soy sauce in it.

Once in a blue moon, I snack on a cup-o-noodles and like putting tobasco (with garlic) sauce in it.

Apr 11, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #102 of 127
I fear that any time we stray beyond just adding water and heat, we are deviating from the original concept of Ramen and Mac & cheese as the traditional "finance charges" toward our new cans.
frown.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #105 of 127
So many posts about inferior noodles! If you like noodles, try Soba:

"Well, there's lots of things to eat here in Japan,
and I've tried every noodle that I can.
But for good old-fashioned eating,
there's no dish you can be beating
when it comes from a kitchen
where there is a Soba man.
When it's Soba-schlepping time in Japosjne,
and those hungry truckin' drivers hit the town
Oh, those truckers will be brakin',
'cause their stomachs are a achin'
just to get some of that good old Soba down."

That's the text of a song by the 3 Mustaphas 3, titled "Soba, King of the Noodles". The name of the town is probably an approximation.

Laz
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back