How do you keep power cables apart from audio cables? Does it matter?
Nov 26, 2008 at 9:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

DefectiveAudioComponent

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been strugglig with my cable mess. I find it really hard to keep the power cables going out from my amplifiers and stuff away from the audio cables. Sometimes the audio cables get real close to the wall outlet as well.

(How) do you keep your cables apart? Does it matter or can I just let the mess be?

Nov 26, 2008 at 9:32 AM Post #2 of 17
A lot of people argue that it can cause interference however my audio cable from my computer passes within cm of my power board and I have never noticed any interference.

If you wanted to keep them separate of each other just tie them together or to something in such a way that theyre are far apart.
On a side note mobile phones cause some serious and very noticeable interference so dont keep thoughs together.

Nov 26, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #4 of 17
I have my PC, Power cables, my 75ohm coax and my RCA cables all pretty close to each other. For this reason, I invested a little bit more money into my cables to make sure that they are all properly shielded from electronic noise. I'm not saying that you HAVE to spend more money on cables in order to eliminate noise (or that it will even help), but this is the route I chose and it is working well for me.

Nov 26, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #6 of 17
power cords should run 90 deg to any cable carrying the signal if they must come into contact. if both appropritely shielded, i wouldn't worry about it one way or the other. i've only detected improvements in careful layout with unshielded cables, shielded cables were happy anywhere. btw, i have mostly prefered unshielded in my experience, but have the space for anal retentiveness.

as always with cables, YMMV.

Nov 26, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see... better cables = better shielding = I can keep the mess?

Exactly, good shielding and no worries.

Nov 26, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see... better cables = better shielding = I can keep the mess?

You'll hear the interference if it's there. There's no need to buy shielded cables or change your setup unless you hear interference.

Nov 26, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #9 of 17
I have to admit I really don't care!
Until I head some interference I feel no need to look into it.

Nov 26, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #10 of 17
Pretty simple on my end... I try not to have them touch... but if they have to, then I just try to get them to cross as close to 90 degrees as possible. Not that I have noticed any issues, but just sound advise....

Cheers,

Nov 26, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to admit I really don't care!
Until I head some interference I feel no need to look into it.

same here...

Nov 26, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #12 of 17
Well, when I build an amp and I have AC wiring too close to signal wiring, it easily becomes a problem of noise so I try to keep them as far away as possible. This doesn't mean going to extremes, just set up your equipment has power on one side and signal on the other side, a foot of room between is good enough for me to not notice any noise (not that I notice much noise from it anyway). But then again, I use Iron Lung Jellyfish and Quail power cords which are both shielded cables.
wink.gif

Nov 26, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #13 of 17
Never had a problem with interference, but I do try to keep power and signal as far apart as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back